Equivalent car parts across makes. - davemar
Is their an source of information about which car parts are common across makes and models? I'm particularly interested in brake parts, as I'm wanting to eBay some parts I don't need, and it'll be handy to know what range of cars they will fit apart from the one I bought them for.

A good example is when I needed new front caliper for my Megane which I found out was the same as on a 205 GTi, which I had a spare one of.
Equivalent car parts across makes. - AR-CoolC
I would think you could go onto the brake manufacurers sites and do some back searching.

Look up the part you have and get their part munber for it, then use the sites search facility and put in their part number and see if that brings up a list of vehicles.

Equivalent car parts across makes. - ihpj
A good example is when I needed new front caliper for
my Megane...was the same as on
a 205 GTi, which I had a spare one of.

I didn't know that.

I'd be interested to know which Meganne you're talking about and what type of caliper (Lucas or Bendix?) it was...

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
It was a '98 Megane 1.6 8v with ABS. It'll be the Bendix caliper for use with the vented discs.
Equivalent car parts across makes. - ihpj
It was a '98 Megane 1.6 8v with ABS. It'll be
the Bendix caliper for use with the vented discs.

Ah, nice to know - mine has the Lucas claipers w/vented discs.

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
Equivalent car parts across makes. - blue_haddock
A good way to do this is to look up the part on an online parts place like GSF or eurocararts and try to cross-reference it.

A lot of pug stuff is the same as stuff for Citreon's and VW stuff is the same whether it's on a VW, Seat or Skoda.
GSF didn't know about the brake calipers being common parts, as they said they didn't stock a Megane caliper when I asked for one; but did stock the identical 205 GTi one.