Ins Co leaves me speechless - Robin
I have just received this email from my insurance company regarding a complaint I made about their Indian Call Centre. It has left me speechless and fumingly angry. You can bet I did not send the information requested. They must think I'm crazy if they think I'll send this to anyone who just asks for it. For all I know it may be a scam (is it?. Here it is:

Hi Robin
Thanks for your email. My name is Justin and I will be dealing with your query.

Before I am able to respond to your complaint and for the security of your policy, please could you confirm the following information.
Your full name
Your policy number
Your post code
The registration of the vehicle insured
Your email address
Once I have this information I will be able to respond to you.
If there's anything else we can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact us. To help us identify your policy, please include your policy number and telephone number in all emails you send to xxxxxx.co.uk. If you've got any comments about the service you've received, be it good or bad, we'd like to know. Hearing your feedback is the only way we can maintain a service to beat all others. Please click on the link below and tell us what you think!

All the best

Ins Co leaves me speechless - Ex-Moderator
Full name - seems reasonable
Polcy number - seems very reasonable
Post code - yup, I can see how they'd want that.
Vehicle reg'n - no real argument, although perhaps over the top
E-mail address - well, they'll have that anyway.

So I guess the issue is that they want your registration number.

So sorry, I don't really see the problem.

If you do feel strongly about a bit of it, then which ? and why ? And what do you think a "scammer" would do with that information anyway ?

Ins Co leaves me speechless - patently
Speechless?

Lucky you're complaining by email then. ;-)
Ins Co leaves me speechless - BazzaBear {P}
I think internet paranoia may be setting in here.
You contacted them first, so you surely know that it's not just anyone contacting you back.
Would you prefer them not to confirm that you are who you say before discussing the intricacies of your policy with whoever happens to contact them?
Ins Co leaves me speechless - daveyjp
Whenever I call my insurance company they ask for my policy number or vehicle reg, my name, then conformation of my address. Their request by e-mail just seems to be info they would normally ask for anyway.

If they were asking for credit card and bank account details I'd be more concerned.
Ins Co leaves me speechless - john deacon
normal email isnt secure, i would never discuss anything like this using email

from the nature of your complaint i feel its the type of thing that needs a firm letter sending registered delivery to the chief exec or md for their complaints team to look at, sending such complaints into the normal service channel is pretty much a waste of time, the staff probably agree with you but of course would never be able to say so
Ins Co leaves me speechless - Robin
I am conscious of email scams, having heard and read so much about them. My bank and other financial institutions are at pains to point out they would never ask for detailed personal information. I do not work in the insurance industry and am an honest person and as such have no idea what anyone could do with such information. No doubt some scroat somewhere could find a use for it. Consequently I am very suspicious of why they would need such information, especially as my complaint has nothing to do with my policy as such as it is related to their customer services and I included the policy number in my original email.
That's why.
Ins Co leaves me speechless - Wilco {P}
They probably have "standardised" mail that they send out to any complainant - the human interface on the end needs to realise that they already have some of the information they need, and unsurprisingly this doesn't always happen.

They will also have service standards that they need to meet to deal with your complaint - this letter is just a holding one to acknowledge receipt of your complaint. If you would rather provide the information over the phone, send a mail requesting a call.

Proceed with it, stay calm when you get asked for the same info again and again, and now you have a name to deal with, don't let go!!
Ins Co leaves me speechless - Vansboy
Robin,

Sorry, I can't really see too much of a problem, here.

It's not like bank/credit card info - but most of these will not persue you, if a fraudulent transaction took place.

thers not a great deal of things anyone could do with your insurance details...or could they??

Criminally orientated Backroomers, please advise!!

VB
Ins Co leaves me speechless - Bill Payer
Reminds me of someone who complained to a travel company about the seat pitch changing and the company cancelled her holiday! Perhaps the ins company is going to cancel your insurance?

It always makes me laugh/cry when you offer to pay someone by bank transfer and they're horrified that you want their bank name, account number and sort code. Even pointing out that exactly the same info is printed on every cheque that they hand over doesn't seem to allay their fears.
Ins Co leaves me speechless - Altea Ego
Robin - you worte to them If I recall, so they are replying. Its not phishing is it.

Frankly you are lucky to get a reply let alone someone name to deal with!
Ins Co leaves me speechless - adverse camber
well my guess is that if you give all that info they can look up your policy details and from that the computer audit record of your contact with the call centre and pull the recording of your conversation.

and thus investigate your complaint.

Mark
Ins Co leaves me speechless - machika
They should be able to find out all the need to know from your policy number and name. Anything else is superfluous.