Parking on Residential Streets - BrianM
A couple of times recently I've noticed houses on terraced streets, with no parking restrictions, with signs in the window regarding parking. Neither were particularly polite - one just said "No Parking", the other "You don't live here, don't park here". Both these streets were not near a town centre or somewhere where people park all day, but were near shops, where presumably people frequently park for a couple of minutes.

Whilst I appreciate that these signs are completely unenforcable, what do people think of this practice? I try to be a considerate parker and would never block a driveway etc, but I personally think this is going a bit far. These houses are on public roads with no parking restrictions and the signs are demands, not requests. I can sympathise with people who live somewhere where there are cars constantly parked outside their houses all day, but the two I have seen aren't on particularly busy roads.

I didn't park, on the basis that I didn't want to take the risk return to a scratched car. What would other people do?

Brian
Parking on Residential Streets - Quinny100
You're right its completely unenforceable - it stems from the common misconception that you have a right to park on the road outside your own property.

I can see where people are coming from - if your neighbours either side have 2 cars a piece and you can't park yours then you'd be a bit miffed.

I personally wouldn't live anywhere that didn't have a driveway or an allocated parking space. But if people have lived somewhere for years and their neighbours have bought additional cars then there's not a lot they can do about it.

My take on it is you wouldn't buy a house too small to fit all your belongings in, so why doesn't that extend to cars?

When I lived at home with my parents and 3 siblings we had 4 cars and were fortunate enough to have a driveway we could fit them on. When my younger brother wanted to get his own my Dad said he couldn't because (amongst other reasons) he would have to park on the road and it would look untidy.
Parking on Residential Streets - Badger
Putting it at its simplest, you have paid your RF tax and the road is as much yours as anyone else's.
Parking on Residential Streets - rustbucket
Putting it at its simplest, you have paid your RF tax
and the road is as much yours as anyone else's.

Just because you have paid RF tax does means you can pass over the road not obstruct it by parking on it.

rustbucket (the original)
We are talking about legitimate parking. Obstruction is a different matter entirely.
Parking on Residential Streets - rustbucket
>>My take on it is you wouldn't buy a house too small to fit all your belongings in, so why doesn't that extend to cars?

I agree, on the same lines you would not buy a horse unless you have somwhere to stable it.

rustbucket (the original)
Parking on Residential Streets - Hugo {P}
>>My take on it is you wouldn't buy a house too
small to fit all your belongings in, so why doesn't that
extend to cars?
I agree, on the same lines you would not buy a
horse unless you have somwhere to stable it.

Now that IMO is a very simplistic and idealist arguement. Now for the real world!

With house prices as they are, many people simply cannot afford a house with a drive, so they don't have the option. Does that mean by your arguement that they should forego the car and, hence give up their independence, job etc.

No of course it doesn't.

GRRRR

Now to answer the original posting on this thread.

I live in an early victorian semi on the road. Although I have parking for one car in the drive way at the moment (renovation plus skips etc limit other vehicles parking on my drive) we park both the van and the 2nd car on the road.

It must be something about Cornwall but everyone seems to have their respective spaces. Although no one has absolute right to park in the road, we all respect that certain individuals have traditionally parked in certain places. Two other neigbours park outside our house in exactly the same places as they have done for years, which means that there is an extra long space for my van plus a short space for the smaller 2nd car we have.

The only time the equilibrium is upset is when someone has a relative or friend to stay. Often their car is outside our house for days without moving and it causes chaos.

I agree there is no right of passage for people to park outside their house on a public road (except where a disabled bay has been marked out and for good reason). However a parking opportunity for a visitor can create havoc for residents.

Lately the council have been employing contractors towork on the council properties opposite us. The contractors, without exception, have been extremly corteous. They know who parks where and what time they get back etc, so theywork around that.

So it works well when everyone respects everyone elses' needs, rather than adopt simplistic attitude such as "residents have no rights" or don't have a car unless you've got a driveway.

H
Parking on Residential Streets - Ex-Moderator
>>Does that mean by your arguement that they should forego the car and, hence give up their independence, job etc.

No, simply understand that the price of the car did not include its parking space.

I do not park outside my house - neither do the first 15 or so of my friends to arrive. However, I have three neighbours who do, one in particular who parks right outside one of my gates(path, not drive).

Now, I'd rather he didn't because on occasions I have deliveries which need to use that path. But its not a big deal and on the occasions I need him to move for deliveries to be carried in, he always does so without complaint.

Its a road. And he has the same right to it as I do, whichever house it is outside. And there are considerate and inconsiderate neighbours. That's about as complex as it gets.

If you really have an issue with it, buy a house with off-road parking. And if you can't, or choose not to spend your money in that way, then stop expecting it for free.

But on this, like so many other subjects, life really is too short. At least when we're dealing with cars, trucks are slightly different.

Parking on Residential Streets - Adam {P}
I've pressed the Reply To Message three times today but have stopped short of writing a reply as I wasn't sure how it would go down.

However, I'm sure that the number of people who own a car far exceeds the number of terraced houses in the country. I must agree that when looking for a house, money dependant I would look for a house with a drive but due to work, family arrangements and whatnot, this isn't an option to some people and so, I would be pretty annoyed if someone parked in front of my house.

One of my mates lives in a terraced house and there's a sort of unwritten rule that whoever lives at or visits the house parks outside it. Seems to work but you're relying on each house owning just one car.

By the same token, a relation lives in a semi with a drive but people constantly park in front of it.

Fortunately, we have quite a long drive which houses my Dad's car, my car and should the time come (we're all hoping it won't happen), my sister's car. However, there may be some occasions when Dad is on his bike and needs the garage so the cars get whacked at the front. In the rare instance that someone parks in front of the house, I get pretty annoyed even though it isn't my road - it's just natural I guess. Fortunately, it's a cul-de-sac and so, has very low traffic.

I think DavidHM also posted another possibility. Moving in before the neighbours got more cars. What can you do about this? "Sorry - can't have the house in case in 7 years time the neighbours buy a second car"

I do have sympathy with the house owners but I wouldn't park in front of a house where they've taken the time to make a sign. Who knows what else they would do!
--
Adam
Parking on Residential Streets - martint123
We could end up like the townie Japanese - no off road parking = no car.
Parking on Residential Streets - Stargazer {P}
The messages so far have taken one point of view...multiple cars parking or visiting houses in the street. Near me another issue raises its ugly head....commuters parking in residential streets rather than pay the £2.50 per day at the station carpark. Cars are there from 7am to 7pm, often blocking in residents cars.

Any views anyone?

StarGazer
Parking on Residential Streets - hxj

Yes - ask your council for a 'resident's parking scheme'
Parking on Residential Streets - john deacon
well

i think if its not a restricted road, anyone should feel as free as anyone else to park there

any implied threats should be met with 100 quid taxed car due for scrappie or company car being parked there while u go on holiday

cars are not so bad but i have had large HGV's parked outside friends house for weeks at a time totally blocking light into downstairs of house, now that is totally unreasonable

had the classic new neighbour coming over to scream "you cannot park there" only to have my companion unbutton his jacket to reveal his police uniform, neighbour walked away tail between his legs, would have told him to stick it if on my own

re "wouldnt live anywhere i didnt have a parking space" this is a luxury many people dont have, and remember if council put restrictions on surrounding streets and neighbourhood they typically just force people into someone elses street

old neighbourhoods that were designed before cars became common i can sympathise with the problem, however new neighbourhoods are being built with less than (often none) one space per household, by demand of anti-car council as a planning condition - this is the real long term culprit

etc

Parking on Residential Streets - paulb {P}
Yes - ask your council for a 'resident's parking scheme'

>>

Right. Similar problem near me - large multi-storey next to the station which has just put its prices up to a whopping £1.10 for all-day parking (to compare, NCP half a mile away charges £1.20 an hour) and people parking incredibly badly in nearby side-streets to avoid it. One residents-only scheme later and no more problems, although what genuine visitors to houses in the area are now supposed to do, I'm not sure.

On the other side of the coin, people living in these streets can lose all sense of proportion. I was helping friends move to a terraced street (with no parking restrictions) a couple of months back - we had hired a Luton with a tail-lift to move their heavy stuff (e.g. piano) and the amount of grief we got for having the temerity to park it in this street, when we were clearly unloading things from it and taking them into a house there, was unbelievable. Perhaps we were supposed to bring the stuff by helicopter and winch it down into the garden - although they would probably then have complained about the noise of the helicopter... :-)
Parking on Residential Streets - Civic8
Stargazer..I think it is a problem.To the point cars that are parked in streets around Stations..Dont consider those drivers in or around the street they park..I know of one road close to Orpington Station. That causes massive congestion due to cars being parked either side of road..In effect it makes the road single file..Rather dangerous to pedestrians in my view as well..Though to local residents double yellows are not wanted.I suspect it will happen..comes down yet again to minority spoiling it for the rest?
--
Steve
some stations that have car parks it not the price that puts people off its the frequent occurances of theft and damage to and from cars, so people park where people are watching ie residential streets

if they tidied up the security at station car parks it would help the situation all round
Parking on Residential Streets - AdrianM
"i think if its not a restricted road, anyone should feel as free as anyone else to park there"

Totally agree, in fact...not "should feel as free", but "ARE as free....to park there"..

This is very difficult, I now have the luxury of fitting four cars on my drive. My last house was terraced, near the centre of town and within walking distance of a Premiership football ground. Parking could be a real nightmare and so I have every sympathy with all the points mentioned above. But the short fact is, you don't own any part of the public highway - not even the bit in front of your house.

People who put up signs, or cordon off "their" bit of space deserve a good........talking to!
Parking on Residential Streets - Roger Jones
I dare say that most people are aware that inconsiderate parking causes ill feeling. Some aren't aware, and in my experience their parking habits are a pretty reliable manifestation of their general attitude to other people. Just as the bad driver is the same individual in or out of a car, so is the bad parker.

Solution? Respect, thoughtfulness, consideration for others. You know, all those old-fashioned qualities that seem to be less common these days. When do we want it? Now. When's it going to happen? Never.

Had to laugh yesterday. BMW parked (illegally) in the street, with large sticker (about 300x150mm) on the driver's window. The driver obviously had tried and failed to remove it. It said something to the effect that the car had been parked in a parking space for the disabled at Luton airport and the driver was liable for prosecution. Now that's not so unfair: using a difficult-to-remove large official sticker to show everyone around that you have been an anti-social prat.
Parking on Residential Streets - pmh
The last thing you want is a residential parking scheme in an area where people have driveways. (If the aim is to deter commuter parking all day). The best solution IMHO is to have yellow bands with a 1 hr restricted period during the working day. If adjacent streets have a different stagger, locals know how to move visitors or workmen etc.

In my local area there are places where the residents would welcome back the all day parkers rather than have the local authority inspired enforcement of the resident badge scheme. All day parkers only start the car twice a day and minimise traffic movement.

When forced to park in these streets to visit, the local advice is to temporarily park on a yellow line as the authorities can only pursue resident bay offenders. Very few police about to deal with yellow line offences. (Altho I think this is about to change with a wideneing of authority remit and an increase in numbers, recruitment of a Royal perhaps?).
--
pmh (was peter)

{post edited. DD}
double yellow enforcement if being passed to councils and their subcontractors, already in place in places like worcs, where biggest impact is near council buildings or near councillor or senior staff houses the enforcement is very strict, much more so than any other areas, and not really without fear or favour, if u live elsewhere u get much worse enforcement

thinking about this issue i am aware of some streets where flats were built nearby, the street residents were told during planning phase for flats stuff like "dont worry we will do something if flat residents start blocking your streets up" when they were raising planning objections, flats went ahead with clearly too few parking spaces (anti car council demanding less than adequate car parking) and residents of nearby streets left to feel the pain of extra cars with no help from council. if you are ever in this position object to planning unless they put in more than adequate parking.

Parking on Residential Streets - Happy Blue!
The best solution I have seen to deter day parkers who want to avoid car parking charges near to a station is to have a residents parking scheme that only operates between Midday and 1:00pm Monday to Friday.

That way, any day visitors can shuffle around and day long parkers get booked. If the traffic warden used some intelligence(?), they would feel if a car bonnet is warm and wouldn't book a car that has just arrived, even without a permit.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Parking on Residential Streets - volvoman
My first house was a small Victorian terrace just about as wide as my Volvo estate was long! The problem there was that there was simplay not enough room to accommodate 1 car per household, let alone 2! The front gardens were too small to allow for a driveway. As the older folks either died or moved away more cars appeared and the result was parking chaos!
We moved. We moved to a larger detached house with a drive and a garage hoping never to have that problem again.

What's happened over the year though is that ill judged (and some may say selfish) all day restrictions in many other roads around central Orpington have forced parking problems elsewhere. Many of the roads in which parking is now restricted from 08.30-18.30 could easily accommodate some on-road parking with no problems at all. Most are wide roads with big houses, garages and drives which can easily take several cars. These are now however no-go areas during the day. Ironically, the roads, just a bit further out which have been hit hardest are often narrower and comprised of semi's - many with no garages or driveways. Effectively, the parking problems have simply been shifted and those who chose to live close to the station and High Street decided they wanted the convenience but didn't want anyone else to enjoy it and pushed their problems elsewhere. Ironically now, the people who chose to live further afield to avoid such problems in the first place have inherited them. Crazy!
its appauling bad planning and road design by anti car councils and their politically correct staff and consulting engineers, all pandering to their own current fashions
Parking on Residential Streets - NowWheels
The best solution I have seen to deter day parkers who
want to avoid car parking charges near to a station is
to have a residents parking scheme that only operates between Midday
and 1:00pm Monday to Friday.

That's a very clever idea. I like that one.
Parking on Residential Streets - frostbite
They have a similar scheme round my way, except it applies to all.

The 1hr time also varies from road to road spanning 10am - 4pm, so if you know your times you can always park somewhere in the area.

--
Use it up : Wear it out : Make do : Do without
Parking on Residential Streets - Oz
To add to the above discussion, how would Backroomers react if one of their fellow residents parked a JCB in their close? The case in point occurred recently - the JCB was there over most of Christmas and worse still, blocked access to a couple of garages.
As far as I know nothing was said.
Oz (as was)
I had something similar a couple of Christmases ago. A haulage contractor parked three artics on a public car park right next to the house, and actually put them under our bedroom windows (the car park was empty and he could have put them a hundred yards away, but then the drivers would have had to walk that far.

These were refrigerated wagons, and they left them there for 48 hours with the diesel refrigeration plants running throughout. Sleep was impossible.

The BiB didn't want to know. The haulier's depot was closed for the holidays. The Environmental Health fellers were also on holiday. When I suggested to the BiB that we were now so desperate for sleep that I was prepared to climb onto the things and shut off the refrigeration units I was solemnly warned that I would be arrested for criminal damage (yes, the old, old story).

It's a long story, but on the third day I got hold of the home 'phone number of the haulier's transport manager, and things happened at lightning speed -- drivers appeared and did a Le Mans start. The words"Magistrates" and "nuisance" had done the trick, eventhugh it was bluff.
Parking on Residential Streets - Quinny100
When I was working as a tractor driver I used to bring them home if I had a 5am start and home was nearer to the job.

Didn't obstruct anyone and nobody complained, although once I popped home for lunch with a JD 6910 and a 14 ton trailer full of potatoes on the back and my next door neighbour asked me to move it because he was having something delivered.
Parking on Residential Streets - Stargazer {P}
We also have these schemes operating on quiet lanes near the station....the first three cars to be ticketed were residents cars during the day when they were at work having commuted by train from said station! They took the tickets to appeal and won even though they had obviously been parked there all day.

StarGazer
Parking on Residential Streets - NARU
RE: Parking at the station

I'd love to be able to park at the station, but the car parks at all my local stations get full up by about 09:30. I've been forced to scour the neighbourhood looking for a nearby unrestricted spot. As this can be a good 10 minute walk away, that's the parking blighted for around half a mile around the station (Farnborough).

When I phoned the train company they said the local residents had protested about plans to increase the capacity of the station car park. So I'll have to continue to park outside their houses. Not through choice!
When I was living in France, I had a French friend who used to drive from Avignon to visit London on business. When he told me that he always parked outside London and got the train in, I asked where the parking spot was. "Calais" he replied. He was serious.
Parking on Residential Streets - Roger Jones
The main problem with parking large commercial/industrial vehicles in residential areas is the noise of their large commercial/industrial diesel engines, which is particularly unwelcome early in the morning. Another problem is that they are very intrusive, blocking views and light. And, of course, you live in a residential area to get away from all that sort of thing, as the planners understand quite well.
A valid point. Do any any of our law members perhaps have the time to offer an opinion on this particular nuisance? More specifically, what remedies -- if any -- were open to me in the case of the three refigerated vehicles I referred to in my post above? It could happen again (the haulier still parks there overnight sometimes, but we have not yet had any repetition of the refrigeration plant episode).
report to environemntal health at council formally, noting reg numbers of vehicles involved etc

even if u do it after holiday it occurs

log dates/times etc noise happens

if environemental health do nothing see you councillor and ask him to raise the issue
Parking on Residential Streets - frostbite
Don't HGVs over a certain size/weight have to park in designated area?
Parking on Residential Streets - GrahamF1
Could you ask the council to put up a 'No Overnight Parking' sign?

They'll probably tell you to naff off, but worth a try.
The whole thing would of course have been sorted in no time if the police had only done what I asked, and made one phone call to their opposite numbers at Xxxxxx, the home town of Xxxxxx Transport Ltd. The local police would surely have at least the number for the depot keyholder and could have let them know that a breach of the peace was likely to ensue unless they did something. Instead, they preferred to threaten the injured party.
Parking on Residential Streets - BrianW
IMHO Residents Parking Schemes solve nothing, as BrianM says, an hour restriction during the day to deter commuters is a better solution.
Mother-in-law's road has a residents scheme. It operates all day six days a week until 6.30. We usually go down on a Saturday afternoon with her week's shopping, the residents bays are full up, we can't park across her driveway because of the yellow lines and if we go up on her drive it is a tight squeeze to get the shopping bags past the car which usually ends up with a few more scratches on the paintwork.
Does it REALLY need to operate on a Saturday or until so late in the evening?
When you purchase or rent a property, you accept that you have no more right than any other road user to use the road space outside the property.

No exceptions, no difficult circumstances, no complaining because there are more cars than there used to be. It's that simple, the space is available to any road user who has paid the road tax and you have no claim to it whatsoever.

Does anyone know the rules with regard to blocking entrances? For instance, I own my driveway but not the public road that it runs from. Is there a right of access to your own driveway?
Parking on Residential Streets - machika
Does anyone know the rules with regard to blocking entrances? For
instance, I own my driveway but not the public road that
it runs from. Is there a right of access to your
own driveway?

>>

I would think it would be classed as obstruction, if you couldn't get into or (more importantly) out of your driveway.

I once received a parking fine for obstructing access to and from a multistorey car park, even though I was parked some way down the road. The car didn't actually stop anyone getting to or from the car park.
Sorry to keep bringing in France, but there it is a specific offence under their RTAs, on pain of an on-the-spot fine, to park in a manner that obstructs a driveway, garage entance, etc. They call it *le stationnement abusif*, literally 'improper parking'.
i agree parking so as to block somes garage or driveway should be dealt with more seriously

really one of the biggest pains in the bum imaginable is to need to go to work and find some idiot blocking your car in

and u end up with no real legal remedy, plod wont help, no easy way to do anything, etc

would agree with harsh crackdown on people who do this

however this is totally different to parking in a street normally
Le Parking Abuse? Sounds like those people putting the signs up in their windows...
Ah, yes -- they order these things better in France.
Parking on Residential Streets - MichaelR
Residents parking causes me no end of trouble. I am a full time University student and becuase of where I live, there is no bus service to any location near my house. As a result, the only way I can get to University is to drive my car.

The University refuses to provide any form of parking for students, the local council are doing their best to fill whatever free parking space there was (Roads between halls of residence and lecture theatres where nobody but students live, for example) with over-priced parking metres, etc.

So, the only option is to park in residential streets nearby. I don't WANT to do this, but short of paying up to £10 a day to park my car (Something which most people working full time cannot justify let alone a student) in multi story carparks the other side of town, there is nothing else I can do. But even now, more and more and becoming residents parking only and I seem to be spending time I should be spending studying nipping out to move my car from one '2 hour max stay' parking area to another.

Used to be able to park in a simply *huge* carpark belonging to the local Courts superstore. Worked fine - didn't bother anyone (The carpark was absolutely huge - think about a carpark the size of your average out of town supermarket, but attribute it to a run-down DIY store and a furniture shop), carpark was almost always empty but in the summer a clamping firm arrived which put paid to that.

So, I dislike residents parking schemes :)

I've paid just as much road tax as anyone else who happens to have a permit, yet I can't park there. I am 'sort of' a resident - I pay over a thousand pounds a year to attend the University - but nobody gives a damn :)
I had the same problem at University for ten years, Michael -- and I was staff. Students had even less chance.
thousand pound a year is cheap

some unis halls of residence built recently were only granted planning permission on condition that the uni demands students sign an enforceable agreement that they will not own or run a car in the city - else they loose their accomodation

again harsh treatment of drivers

meanwhile the uni's are full of illegal immigrants (partners of students here on tourist visas but working etc), tv's unlicenced, working partners not paying council tax, etc etc etc

in fact thriving black economy with lots of illegal rackets, none of which is tackled by any authority

but hey as soon as u try and get a car, you will find big stick used immediately

madness sheer madness
Odd priorities. Not long ago, a particularly successful Dean of Columbia University retired. He said in his address that a university's management need concern it with only three things, and it would have a problem-free existence:-

1. Sports for the almumni.
2. Car parking for the staff.
3. Sex for the students.
Parking on Residential Streets - hxj

I hope that you are contacting the authorities at each and every opportunity to inform on all these heinous acts. That way I can rest easily knowing that someone is out there fighting for the good guy ..... ;-)
well when they wont turn out for racing motorbikes with no helmet or plates and drug dealing do u really think its worth the bother

the immigration system is a joke, if i reported some of the people known to me to be illegally here they would be released straight back onto streets if anything at all way done

and remember the uni's are big business, lots of foreign students are in fact subsidising the UK student population greatly, the system doesnt want to upset the little dears
At my own university, three Computer Studies students set up denial-of-service attacks that took out the University's computer system for days. We lost accounts, payroll, academic results, course programmes, student records, catering, halls of residence records, library lending, internet, the lot.

We traced the culprits and I wanted them prosecuting for computer misuse and throwing out. They were, however, overseas students so they were told they were *very* naughty boys and allowed to stay on. I was told privately that we could not afford to sack them because of the fees we would lose. They continued wrecking the system for the three years of their course, by which time others had joined them -- and someone imagined we had saved money!
Parking on Residential Streets - Welliesorter
As the vexed subject of blocking entrances has been touched on again, I have a question. Imagine three cars parked near an entrance, one on each side, one directly opposite. If any one of the three cars were to move, the entrance would be (just) accessible; with all three there, there isn't room to turn in the very narrow road. Who is to blame for obstructing the entrance, the two on the same side, the one opposite, the one who parked last, or all three?

the one thats in the way of a citizen of the crown that wants to use that route, that is potentially any of them
Parking on Residential Streets - alexisj
Could write for hours on the joys of on street parking, but i won't...
In answer to the '3 cars' question from Welliesorter, this kind of situation often arises near me and I would say the responsibility lies with the last car to park. If say the 2 cars either side of the entrance were already there when I arrived to park, I wouldn't occupy the space opposite because that would impede progress. If I were the one who's entrance was to be 'blocked' and looked out of the window to see 2 cars either side, and then looked out a bit later to see a neighbour's car in the position opposite, it would be to that neighbour that I went to ask to move since he was last to arrive. Not an easy one to enforce, but every time we go to park, we assess the cars already parked in order to decide where we can park. The first 2 cars make life difficult but it's the third that makes it impossible.
Sorry alexisj, I beg to differ.

I was booked and went to Court over this very issue, as I could prove that I was not the one to cause the blockage. I was in and out in five minutes and found guilty of causing an obstruction. £60 fine and three points.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
3 points for parking??? Was that because you went to court Espada or would you have got that anyay?
--
Adam
I think I would got the points anyway, Adam. It was the Police who booked me, not a warden.
--
That's a bit harsh for 5 minutes though!
--
Adam
Nope, five minutes in Court not parking! Parking was about 1/2 hour. I was the first to arrive and when I got back there were three cars, including mine, causing the blockage, but only two us had tickets even though we were not cuasing the blockage without the third car!.
--
I do apologise Mr Espada. Ever noticed that once you realised you've misread something, it's so obvious and you can't think how you interpreted it wrong in the first place?

I'll go now...
--
Adam
Parking on Residential Streets - alexisj
As I said (or meant anyway!), an enforcing officer may not see it my way. If we're talking side roads then technically all 3 cars in the example would be within 10 meters of the junction and so 'bookable'. I assume from your answer that you could prove that you weren't the last to arrive in a similar case but that you were found guilty of causing an obstruction in spite of this.
IMO the issue is like many of those we face when driving, where using a bit of common sense and courtesy rather than following the letter of the law at all times usually leads to the best outcome. So I would still apportion blame to the third car, even if all 3 cars are guilty in the eyes of the law. That said, I have gone out to move my car in the past having looked out of the window to see that the movements of others since I parked have made my car into an obstruction.
On a slighlty different tack, a form of parking that I find a bit annoying is when people park right in the middle of two spaces at supermarkets etc (usually newish premium brand cars). I assume they are worried about other people opening car doors onto their cars, but when its raining and there are few spaces, I think its a bit selfish. I did see one car recently parked right in the middle of fours spaces - surely taking things to an extreme!

Brian
I have every sympathy for these people. Why should they suffer damage to their pride and joy as a result of selfish people who don't care parking in the small parking spaces becuase the supermarket is far more concerned with parent and baby spaces?
m j rodgers?
m j rodgers?

Afraid not!
Granted, there does seem to be a growing trend towards having a lot of parent and baby spaces these days. I think a lot of people use them though, baby or not. I think, quite reasonably, this is less frowned upon than able-bodied people using disabled spaces, which I definitely think is out of order.

When my current car was brand new and gleaming, I used to worry about it getting scratched in car parks. Rather than use up two or more spaces though, I'd just park at the back of car parks away from other cars and walk that bit further to the supermarket.
Parking on Residential Streets - puntoo
Today I went to the local station car park (for which I get a season ticket). Even though I arrived at 08:20 the station car park was full. The only other car park is a private car park that is always full by 7:30.

Morrisons have taken over the safeway carpark and told the previous commuters who paid £30 each (there were a 100) that they would have to find somewhere else to park.

Prior to this all local roads were yellow lined. You cannot park anywhere other than the station car park.

So I had to drive back out until I found a residential road that didn't have yellow lines.

All this just seems to have pushed the problem out further, I presume that if the situation continues then these residential road will also be yellow lined as well after they complain.

The solution in my opinion is to either build more secure car parks (and cheaper) or else remove some of the yellow lines from the non-residential roads. With rises in parking fees well above inflation the problem wont go away.
Parking on Residential Streets - loopyjen
We have similar problems parking on the street where I live. It is a small terraced street with houses on only one side (for which we are all grateful). However, the other side of the road is the back of a row of shops and hair salons etc. There has always been a problem with parking on the street but it has become progressively worse over the last year. We have three cars at our house, one is parked directly outside the house but we always make sure that we park the others on the other side of the road so they are outside no-one elses house. However, our neighbours are not so considerate. They both have two cars each and insist on parking on the same side of the road and therefore park in front of other peoples houses. While I acknowledge that there is no right to park outside your own house I think that it all boils down to respect for other people and courtesy. My mum's car is boxed in more days than it is not and she has to struggle to get it out in the morning for work. This is when we all get annoyed and our neighbours always pull a face if you ask them to move their cars, as if we are the ones inconveniencing them not the other way round. These people are really bad parkers and really bad drivers also, but we are always made to feel in the wrong.
When my current car was brand new and gleaming, I used
to worry about it getting scratched in car parks. Rather
than use up two or more spaces though, I'd just park
at the back of car parks away from other cars and
walk that bit further to the supermarket.

This is what I do. I find a completely empty area and I park there.

9/10 I return to the car to find my car surrounded by other cars, in the empty area of the carpark.

I have absolutely no idea why this happens but it does render the park away from the shop idea pretty useless :(
Thanks for the replies to this, especially to Espada for mentioning his test case. I do have a vested interest in the matter as I risk being blocked in or out every time I visit my mother. On one occasion I had to resort to knocking on doors to identify the owner of a car who was indisputably blocking my exit. I ended up leaving a note for the owner, stating (truthfully) that I needed to be able to drive to work the following morning. The offending vehicle was eventually moved at 4 am. I wonder if the owner was in a fit state to drive.

In my example there are complicating factors: the cars on the same side as the entrance are always parked half on the pavement (the road is too narrow for two lines of vehicles) and some of the vehicles probably are too close to the junction: the house occupies a street corner.

There's a further complication in that a pattern of what seems like inconsiderate parking has possibly emerged because neighbours have got used to the idea that my mother lives alone and is carless. They rarely see the entrance being used and assume that no-one ever needs to use it. It might be thought unreasonable for me to expect them to change their habits on the off chance that I'm going to visit. There is plenty of safe and legal parking space on the much wider road from which this one leads, but no-one parks there by choice. A much bigger issue from my mother's point of view is the practice of parking vans on the pavement all weekend, as this blocks the view from a downstairs window. Although quite large, the house has no front garden.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the problems seem to stem from the idea that owning a property entitles you to the bit of road immediately adjacent. The belief is unsustainable if you have more vehicle than frontage but it leads to people parking as close as possible to their own property, whatever the consequences. In my own road I see vehicles parked on (not near) corners when there's plenty of space opposite or 20 yards away. Presumably the owners think that the space outside their corner property belongs to them and the rest of the road is someone else's territory.

To be fair, there seems to be a reasonably mature attitude to parking in my street. All other things being equal, people park outside their own homes but I've never known anyone to complain when this hasn't been possible. Space has become tighter as older residents have died off and been replaced by younger people with multiple cars and the occasional work vehicle. I became a car owner less than two years ago. For most of that time I've found parking outside my own house to be a rare luxury and considered myself lucky if it's been possible to see my car from the window.

However, in recent months and for no obvious reason, I've found parking to be less of a problem. There is an outside chance that I'm starting to benefit from the territoriality: perhaps people have become used to seeing my car, they associate it with me or my house, and avoid parking in 'my' space if they can.

Whoops... I didn't quite intend my post to appear at the end of the thread. It was meant as a reply to alexisj, Espada III, and Adski {P} above, who were responding to my question of who is responsible for creating an obstruction.
although it is custom in some areas to park half on the pavement due to space issues, or even fully on the pavement, anyone doing this could well be caught out by a copper that takes exception to this, it does happen occasionally

on the other hand ive seen coppers do the same lots of times

comes down to terrible planning depts really as neighbourhoods are still being designed where this is pretty inevitable
Parking on Residential Streets - mare
comes down to terrible planning depts really as neighbourhoods are still
being designed where this is pretty inevitable

I'm not sure that it is the Planning Departments, but the actual Planning Policy, which is set by the elected councillors. As i understand it, Planning Policy dictates how many car spaces you need to provide on a development.

Several people i know in Bath who live in 1930's terrace houses have applied for planning permission to convert the front garden into a drive, but have been restricted to one space, and not allowed two.

Similarly, i am developing a site in Bristol, and we are only required to provide one car space (be that garage or parking space) per plot. We know full well that the likely purchasers are likely to have two cars per house (plus visitors), but the extra space for providing two spaces per plot would eat into living space, therefore value, to the point where the development is not economically viable.

Parking on Residential Streets - Bromptonaut
Similarly, i am developing a site in Bristol, and we are
only required to provide one car space (be that garage or
parking space) per plot. We know full well that the likely
purchasers are likely to have two cars per house (plus visitors),
but the extra space for providing two spaces per plot would
eat into living space, therefore value, to the point where the
development is not economically viable.

Thanks to Mare for making this clear. While I'm sure tha anti car councils in JD's posts exist most of the pressure to restrict on plot parking comes from developers keen to ensure viability/maximise profit.
no there are well documented cases where the developers want to include parking space, but the council/planners restrict them to one space per plot or no spaces at all

edinburgh made a big deal about how pedestrian friendly it was having large amounts of houses built with no parking provision, similar in other places

developers will react to what the market wants because thats a free market, if people want car park spaces they would get them, the free market however is kicked far into the distance by manipulation by planning etc
Parking on Residential Streets - tack
I have often wondered about people who put cones or dustbins and planks outside their homes. Where do they park their cars when they go shopping or to the station or to visit relatives?

I always find that the people who do this sort of thing are pinch faced and put stuff like cladding on the wall, and green tiles on the roof even though all the other houses have red tiles and Canterbury Spa pebble dash.

If someone parks outside my house, it is not unreasonable. After all, I park outside someone else's on many occasions.

However, I have every sympathy with someone living next door to Gary, Gary, Gary and Gary and Gary's mum (Garina?) with their Toyota Hi-Ace flat bed, a grubby white Transit van, a Fiesta with jacked up wheels leaking oil on the pavement when they park half on/half off the kerb and a Vauxhall Cavalier covered in tarpaulin to hide the fact that it is not taxed and that all the wheels are in fact missing so it is jacked up on breeze blocks. All of which can't be parked on their own drive because the old three piece suite, a diesel generator, a Corsa engine are taking up the room.

It's a fact (except that their names aren't really Gary!)My mum lives in a small cul-de-sac with very little parking space and these dolts have taken almost every one meaning that most people can't park NEAR their house, let alone right outside it.
ha ha

you mean they have not got a mini engine in the front room being stripped as well, that was an all time classic i remember, and keeping the motorbike on the flat bit of roof in front of the bedroom so they can spot any potential thief, gotta be young and fit to lift a bike up there

on the cones buisiness i sympathise except for places such as residents near football club, where on match day the place is turned into some strange land full of idiot drivers over cramped agressive behaviour etc

it can be a real pain after working 12 hours to come home unable to park anywhere near you own home due to match day traffic, in what can often be a normally quiet ares, in fact ive even seen coppers turn people away from their own estate "its too crowded in there its dangerous"

Parking on Residential Streets - Toby
I think the idea that someone mentioned above - that bad parkers and inconsiderate car users are the same outside the car as in it - is correct.

I have the misfortune of living next to a noisy neighbour who always parks her car badly and regularly blocks the entrance the my house so I have to squeeze through a gap a few inches wide to get to the door. Her car is covered in dents and scratches so I put mine in the garage to avoid her driving into it! However, then comes the problem of blocking in the garage...!

Agree with the comments above about universities - I work for a UK university and the parking situation is terrible. There are a few car parks which are used by commuters even though they are supposed to be permit only - the university hardly ever checks!