French Mopeds - Chris S
Does anybody know what those French mopeds with the engine on the front mudguard were called please?
French Mopeds - Robin Reliant
Mobylette?
French Mopeds - Pugugly {P}
Not quite.

www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/174/3541/
French Mopeds - Robbie
I know that one of the models was called Velocette. Not sure if these were the only manufacturers.
French Mopeds - Robbie
If you go to Pugugly's url there is a Zanetti with the motor driving the front wheel.
Peugeot made one. Distant French Holiday memory.
French Mopeds - madux
Solex.
French Mopeds - tr7v8
Velo-Solex I think. I believe in France they can be ridden at 14 years old providing they meet certain rules.

Jim
hjem.get2net.dk/Bruno_Sand/velo_solex_motor.htm

Velo Solex - got there in the end.
French Mopeds - Dereksn51
Yes that's right.Guy in Staveley near Windemere was importing them from Hungary iirc and selling them on.Don't know how well he did but I had a ride of one but declined the invitation to buy because the design of the bike looked as if it hadn't changed since ww2
French Mopeds - SjB {P}
> I believe in France they can be ridden at 14 years old providing they meet certain rules.

As I recall, too. Think the rules include an engine capacity much less than the 49.9 cc of a moped, too.
French Mopeds - Tim Allcott
There's a guy in Aigues Mortes at the Marche au Puces (literally flea market!) Who seems to sell refurbed Velosolex's for about 300 euros (200 pounds?) I've often been tempted, but think it might be tricky to get in the overhead locker.

Tim{P}
French Mopeds - Chris S
Thanks - I've found the website now: www.velosolex.co.uk/

And you were very near the mark when you said the design hadn't changed since WW II:

"The Solex is a powered bicycle, not a moped. It
was invented in 1946 in France, as a low cost,
reliable transport for a decimated country. It is a
classic design which, since its invention, has sold
over 8 million, mainly in Europe and
Scandinavia. They have a tremendous reputation
for being fun, reliable and economic.

When the founder died, the business was passed
on to his sons who quickly sold it to Yamaha, who
in turn closed the plant and ceased production.

The original tools, however were sold and with
them, a new company, Impex has started
production again now in Hungary.

The 'new' Solex is therefore not a replica but the
original, and a current power unit could be fitted
to a 1946 model ..."
French Mopeds - Sofa Spud
Now that's what a motorbike should be - a motorised bicycle, not some screaming monster that can fling you head-first into a lamp-post at 165mph!

Only joking, or am I?

Cheers, SS
French Mopeds - trancer
Yeah much better to get rear-ended by a car because you were going too slow to get out of the way 8-).
French Mopeds - madux
A British company started importing them a few years ago (Well, 20 or 25 years ago..)
After spending £10,000 to develop a metal fuel tank to comply with UK regs., the government changed the law to allow plastic fuel tanks anyway!
French Mopeds - THe Growler
Those French lasses used to look delightful on them, insouciantly alighting to a halt and lifting a shapely leg through the open frame.......
French Mopeds - madux
>> Those French lasses used to look delightful on them,

They still do. Trust Growler to introduce sex into a thread about mopeds! (Now where's that ferry brochure.....)
French Mopeds - tack
Have you noticed how few bees there are during the summer here? Go to France as stand at the kerb as one of the Moby-thing-umy-jigs go by. Hear the 50,000 bees? ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz