CO2 Bottle Regulators - sparkythecat
I recently bought a second hand MIG welder on ebay. However it came without a bottle or regulator. I have managed to acquire a couple of brewery CO2 bottles and have had them filled at a local fire extinguisher suppliers. What I need now is a suitable regulator. Can anyone tell me if all commercial CO2 bottles have the same threaded outlet and therefore interchangeable regulators, or are the brewery ones different?

CO2 Bottle Regulators - Number_Cruncher
Hi Sparky,

In order to get myself out of a fix, I have once used brewery CO2 bottles without any hassle. As I was a customer of the pub in question, I didn't pay anything for the CO2 either :-). AFAIK they are interchangeable.

Having said that, you get far better welds if you use argo shield - a lot less spattering than with pure CO2.

number_cruncher
CO2 Bottle Regulators - defender
air products and b.o.c. have different thread sizes .it should be easy to get an adapter though.I would think most pub types are boc
CO2 Bottle Regulators - Simon
I don't know the exact facts but you will find that most pub CO2 bottles have a very unique thread on the top of the bottle. For a start it is an external thread on the pub bottle whereas most gas cylinders have internal threads on the top of the bottle. And I am pretty certain it is a weird/obscure thread size as well. I would try calling a few gas suppliers such as BOC and ask what regulators/adaptors they can supply to overcome your problem. Just out of interest how much did it cost for you to get your cylinder(s) filled by the fire extinguisher company? Did they do it as a favour for you or did you 'just wander in off the street' so to speak. I have a vary similar predicament at the moment and would be grateful iff you could pass on any advice/information that you find out.
Simon,
I just phoned the fire extinguisher extinguisher company and asked if they filled CO2 bottles. They said just bring them down and we'll fill them for you. When I arrived they just swapped my empty bottles for some they had already filled. Couldn't have been easier. It cost me £5 per bottle to get my bottles filled. I asked the lads there about a regulator for the bottles. They said you can get them from BOC but they cost £140 each !!! There must be an easier low cost solution.
CO2 Bottle Regulators - blinky
From experience doing research chemistry, the cylinders used one of two regulators, one with a standard thread and a backward threaded (left handed) for flammable gases. In theory the regulator should be fitted with a diaphram which matches the gas, but I don't know anyone who bothered.

I don't know what pressure the cylinders have been filled to but you have to handle them with some respect. They should be supported or held in place with a chain. If a cylinder falls over and the regulator / head cracks you've got a nice missile.

I'd guess part of the charge from BOC is actually a deposit on the cylinder.
CO2 Bottle Regulators - Civic8
I doubt you will get a good regulator-second hand.I worked for a welding firm and if one went wrong. It was sent to BOC for repair..Would suggest you get one from a trusted source.The dangers of not doing so is deadly.
--
Steve
CO2 Bottle Regulators - Simon
Sparky, you must either be lucky or I live in a area where nobody wants to play ball (South Derbyshire). I have phoned 4 fire extinguisher servicing type people and only 1 would even contemplate filling my two cylinders. Even then they were reckoning around £12-£15 quid each and if they were over 10 years old then they would have to perform a Pressure Test on them first. The other companies would not even touch them, not because they couldn't do it, but because of landing themselves in hot water over it.
CO2 Bottle Regulators - kithmo
Machine Mart tool shops sell them, or you may be able to pick some up at an autojumble. There's a small autojumble at Huddersfield town centre market this Sunday and a big one at Newark showground next Sunday.
CO2 Bottle Regulators - martint123
Machine Mart used to do a kit for using large Co2 bottles on their little welders (regulator, hose, etc). I can't see it in the current catalog though. Most of the regulators you see on ebay are argon or argon/Co2 and these have a different thread. Sometimes pub regulators appear, but I'd play safe and try for a new one.

I've just looked and seems machine mart don't do co2 regulators at all now - but they do list (no picture) a co2/argon adaptor.

Just spotted some stuff at www.welduk.com/Results1.asp?Category=36

Martin
Thanks chaps - Machine Mart appear to have what I need on page 94 of their catalogue @ £22+ vat . I'll give them a try and let you know how I go on.
CO2 Bottle Regulators - pmh
Also shown in the online catalogue is a Argon to CO2 adaptor. but does not state which format! (for not much money).

There are also 2 sizes of CO2 regulator but it is not clear what the difference is.

Let us know which size is what after you have bought it.

I would endorse the view that somebody else has, it is much better using an Argon/CO2 mix. Easier welding. IIRC it is do with the cooling effect of the gas.

Thanks for the tip of using Firex co to exchange/fill a cylinder, I have a pub one that is nearly empty. I use it for cleaning and blowing out things in absence of compressed air.

pmh (was peter)
Good Old Machine Mart. I'm up and running now. I bought Item IR2C (Order code 010120107) which is the 2 gauge regulator at £29.32. The single gauge reglator IR1C is £25.79 ( order code 010120106) . It has the same connections but one gauge fewer. Hope this info is useful.
CO2 Bottle Regulators - Civic8
>>IIRC it is do with the cooling effect of the gas.

It also prevents oxidization of weld.By preventing air getting to the molton metal ie a screen
--
Steve
CO2 Bottle Regulators - Algieboy
You will get the argon to co2 adaptor at WeldUK cost £15 Hope this helps anyone looking for the same without having to buy new gauges