Peugeot 306 Wiper Problem - AndyBinLboro
On friday morning i jumped in my trusty 306 Xnd to drive to london for the wknd. However I went to wash my windscreen and found that the wipers parked in completely the wrong place once the 3 wipecycle after the release of the control stick was over! The same thing happened when i used the single wipe facitliy (tap the control arm down once) Howeverthe intermitent facility still worked and all other speeds of constant wipe. This was puzzling to say the least. On the way back from london on saturday i found once i had almost got back that the wipers would not stop in intermittent - they ran on as if in constant mode sometimes, and also started parking in different places - usually a little up from the lower position... Frustrating whens its leathering down on the M1!

Any ideas on solution? I have read the thread on here about parking problem but i would have expected a relay fault - anyone have experience of this on 306 or peugeot in general?

Andy
BTTT
Peugeot 306 Wiper Problem - IanT
In summary, the self parking isn't working.

Try this test. Set the wipers going and turn the ignition off with the wipers at the top of the screen. Then set the wiper switch to off. Then turn the ignition on again. The wipers should self park properly.

If they don't move at all, there is a problem with one of: the wiper relay, the wiper switch, the wiper wiring (and earth), the wiper motor. Tough.

In your case, it is likely that the wipers do move but will fail to park properly. This elimates most of the above, except the wiper motor. This is because we know power is reaching the motor to start the self park action, and the completion of the self parking is determined by the position of electrical contacts inside the motor.

Ian
Ok well i thought i would reply to my own message - be it few months late. I found out what the problem was. I was investigsting how to remove the skuttle panel from the car and also how to remove the motor - with intention of checking if power was getting down to the motor - to rule out control problems etc.. I suddenly noticed the motor was surrounded with ice and up to its neck in water!

It appeares that the drain hole had blocked, causing the motor to slowly drown over some time. I must add that this was about a week or two later than my original post - after it had snowed and my wipers had totally died on me when i was out driving in the snow.. luckily i was just round the corner wen they packed up. The sleet/snow must have been the final straw and flooded the motor so much it could not operate at all.

I acquired a motor from a scrappy for 30 quid and glad to say it all works again now. It was quite easy to remove and replace the motor - although you will need torx bits to remove the skuttle panel.

So warning to any 306 owners - the drain hole is particularly small in the compartment where the motor is - added to this the wiring loom runs through there too it makes for easy blockage of this hole . I will now be checking it on a regular basis :)