Back Room registration? - KB
As a relative newcomer to this site, I still consider myself a 'guest' and try to take care with any offerings I may make. However in view of the comings and goings regarding Phillipe's request for info. (see UK SPECS - 23.11.), in which I was mentioned, and also the caustic comments that LAC and one or two other contributors seem to spark off, perhaps it is a good idea to have some sort of registration, in order that the moderator or HJ knows where all their messages are coming from. Please see my posting regarding this in UK SPECS in addition to this one. I might be wrong - I usually am, but that's my four pennyworth for today. Off now to don crash helmet in case of flak - be gentle with me Mildred.
Re: Back Room registration? - KB
I said I was usually wrong and just to prove it _ - I meant to say:- Please see my previous posting in 'HIDDEN MESSAGES NOT VERY?'

Sorry.
Re: Back Room registration? - Honest John
My problem with what Philppe did was that he asked me a question by private e-mail, then repeated the same question in The Backroom without telling me. If I refer someone to The Backroom, that's one thing. But if someone gets greedy and wastes my time, that's another. Nevertheless, Philippe is a decent chap, had not intended to do this and apologised. And The Backroom realised he was barking up the wrong tree so put him onto www.broker4cars.co.uk which was the best thing it could have done. So all is smiles again.

HJ
I agree entirely, and hopefully the aforementioned broker4cars debate can rest there for a while. However.....to get back to the subject of registration on the site, having re-read the thread started by LAC...The problems of the world, the last couple of entries by Indepedant Obs. seem to reinforce my point. They got pretty ugly and not really the sort of stuff that wants to continue, I wouldn't have thought - Peace to the world and all that. What this has reminded me of though, is that if we can get as heated and bitter in an entry to a website, then the same individuals are driving on the same roads as me. I suspect that on the road it would be called 'Road Rage'. So for me it serves as a warning!! On this site I can just switch off or go to another topic. After 27 years in my job of cutting people out of wrecked cars, I've seen the effcts of drivers errors and rage. It' as ugly in the flesh as these comments are here.
Re: Back Room registration? - Independent Observer
"Peace to the world and all that. What this has reminded me of though, is that if we can get as heated and bitter in an entry to a website, then the same individuals are driving on the same roads as me. I suspect that on the road it would be called 'Road Rage'. So for me it serves as a warning!! ........After 27 years in my job of cutting people out of wrecked cars, I've seen the effcts of drivers errors and rage. It' as ugly in the flesh as these comments are here."

Just to clarify: you are in the camp that thinks that anyone who "RAGES" eg about kids being taught to play in the street, that they have "the RIGHT of way", and that a car "MUST" STOP if they put one foot on the road isn't safe to be behind the wheel of a car?

And that anyone who has to SHOUT to put such points across doesn't belong on a civilized, caring-sharing, polite, "liberal", safety conscious forum such as this!

(Just one example of many).

Do you not have kids yourself, do you not care about them, does that make you a homicidal maniac?

Or just a refined, restrained, regurgitator of the forum and government ideologies?
Thanks for your considered reply Independant Observer. I don' think that there's anything sensible I can say that's going to change anybody's views and opinions here, but like I say, thanks anyway. It's been a real eye opener.
Re: Back Room registration? - IO
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

At first I couldn't decide if you had read my post, realised the error of your ways, and were apologising.

Or if you had sunk to the lowest form of what some would call wit, others abuse: sarcasm.

However I think that the following amply expands on the difference between us:

"Rest assured Independant Observer, that if you do find yourself trapped by the legs with the steering wheel penetrating your chest and blood tipping out of your bodily orifices, the people who cut you out will put their political persuasions to one side and will act sensibly and rationally. Something I can't imagine you doing. I gather that most contributors here aren't too impressed with your approach to sensible reasoned coverage of the topics raised, so by way of a departure from my usual persona - I suggest you piss off."

"Good wishes, KB."

So your preceeding post was just an attempt to bluster through the fact that you don't have one single constructive or rational point to make, never mind a point to counter anything in my post.

It's a bit like when a teacher uses "an inappropriate tone of voice" in self defence against a knife wielding or raping pupil.

And the "liberals" bay for the teacher to be locked up.

And the "great and the good" decry the fact that people today can't continue a polite discourse.

And they can't see that they themselves are ranting and raving and hurling abuse.

What was it that guy said about motes and things?

The one (of many through the ages) that the all-knowing, always right "public/majority" crucified?

Well, whether I turn out to be wrong or right, I suppose I shouldn't complain.

I wasn't crucified. "Just" censored.
Re: PS KB - IO IO IO, I AM a THUG!
I'll make it easy for you:

You obviously couldn't find anything wrong in my earlier post above, or at least, if you could, you failed to demonstrate it.

However you assert:

"The problems of the world, the last couple of entries by Indepedant Obs. seem to reinforce my point. They got pretty ugly and not really the sort of stuff that wants to continue"

Well here they are, saved from the clutches of the censors, for you to expand on:

My penultimate post:

Talking of Afghanistan, isn't that the place where they only drive Toyotas?

And where they blow up Buddhas because they have nothing to do with Islam?

Hmmmmmm, they'll be burning Bibles next, then who knows where it will all end!

And my ultimate one one:

"Mind you, that won't stop people like Independent Observer, whover that is, from throwing in yet another silly off-topic remark."

Now I know why you lot used to wind up that bogush character so much:

> Talking of Afghanistan, isn't that the place where they only drive Toyotas?

Off topic?

Toyotas off topic?

Or perhaps I'd mistaken this for the "Problems of the World" thread - silly me!

> And where they blow up Buddhas because they have nothing to do with Islam?

Now I see - I'd mistaken this for the "Delete everything that is off-topic" thread - silly me

> Hmmmmmm, they'll be burning Bibles next, then who knows where it will all end!

Nope, I'd mistaken it for the "The problem with deleting the thread is that not all of it is tripe" thread - even sillier me.

Or even the "So some people will feel offended that their common-sense contribution has been wiped along with the rubbish" thread - just how silly can I get?

Or perhaps even the "Some people will feel offended that their common-sense contribution has been rubbished" thread - about as silly as that I guess!

On the now totally off-topic point of multi-topic forums:

Perhaps we [you] could have a "Honest John's Q&A forum, your chance to make yourself heard. Join the discussion, contribute your opinions, comment on Latest News items in The Back Room" topic (though perhaps you could drop the "A" bit, in fact why not drop the "Q" bit while you are at it? BTW just where DOES it mention technical/mechanical? - errrrrrrrrm NOWHERE! and you REFUSE to correct that to what you want it to be, despite it being continually brought to your attention!! Oops, there I go, SHOUTING, in a refined technical forum, anyone would thing that I was trying to make myself heard!!!).

Or just a "Got a point to make in the discussion group?" topic.

Errrrrrmmmmm, NO, of course we couldn't, silly me!

That would be a totally silly, and totally off-topic non-common-sense contribution.

Ah, well, better see if I can join up with that right-wing homicidal motorist bogush character and go on a library burning spree :-(

What, pray tell, do you find "ugly" about these, and why, pray tell do you not wish their like to continue?

Even taken out of the context they were set in?

Or are you going to respond with yet another considered, sensible, rational, reasoned "p!ss *ff" ?
Re: KB Guest - PS Try Reading the Website
BTW KB

You might be a guest of the Back Room, but did you come in by the back door?

This forum is advertised as: "your chance to make yourself heard"!

Not: "your chance to to have your posts censored".

Not by guests, and not by moderators, and not by owners.

Not until they change the invitation.

Which they continually refuse to do.

As they refuse to extend the same criteria to "thugs" as to "regulars".
Re: KB Guest - markymarkn
I think the person who showed IO how to copy and paste didnt quite realise the implications of what they were doing.

:-)

p.s. I'm only joking.
Re: Re Ply - IO
So you've actually managed to hone done your analysis and considered, sensible, rational response to:

"p.s." *ff then :-(