Kipping in the car - LHM
Hi,

A couple of young guys at work intend travelling from Ireland to the UK for a few days, and are intending economising on accommodation by sleeping overnight in their car (separate sleeping bags, I understand!).

I guess they're young enough to cope with the discomfort (I've only done this once - many years ago), but I was wondering if they're likely to run into trouble with the 'boys in blue'.

Does anyone know what the legal position is regarding sleeping overnight in a car - does it depend on where it is parked?

Cheers.
Kipping in the car - Ian (Cape Town)
Mmmmm, dunno about the laglities, being Johhny Foreigner, BUT one word of warning. If they are youngsters, they may well like a pint or three ... and if they are kipping in the car, and plod fnds them in an \'inebriated state\' they may be done for Drunk in Charge, I suspect.
Also, pay heed to the case of a well-known....

8< 8< Snip snip 8< 8<

Allegations removed. DD.
Kipping in the car - Sprice
I think it makes a difference if the keys are in the ignition, with reference to the drunk in charge quote, though not 100% sure.
Kipping in the car - Mark (RLBS)
You have to show that there was no likelihood of you driving the vehicle. The keys not being in the ignition is clearly essential, but better if they are not in the car.

Of course if the vehicle is not on private land, then you're probably in charge of it whatever you do.
Kipping in the car - Bromptonaut
Bars on overnight parking in car aprks and laybys are fairly common in tourist areas of the UK.
Kipping in the car - helicopter
Ian - If it is the well known personality ....

8< 8< snip snip 8< 8<

More allegations removed. DD.
Kipping in the car - madux
I would advise against kipping the car.
Many years ago (about 25, I think) I was driving a VW combi through France and thought the motorway service area just south of Paris would be a nice, safe, well-lit place to kip.
I was awakened at about 3am by somebody peering through the back window. After a few seconds, when I heard footsteps receding, I looked out of the window and saw three men taking crow-bars and baseball bats from a car about 20yds away.
Luckily I had left the keys in the ignition so I leaped into the driving seat and drove naked down the A6 until I came to next exit, where I reported it to the Gendarmes (after getting dressed, of course)
A few years later I had filled-up a van with petrol at the same services when I was approached by a man trying to ask me questions in Italian.
Looking around, I could see two or three cars with sunglass-wearing drivers staring at me.
I drove off, singing the theme from The Italian Job.
Three years ago I saw them again, in the same place.
I didn't bother reporting it the third time, as the Police didn't seem very interested.
I think the service area is called Les Lisses.
Kipping in the car - blinky
Apparently, this type of attack in French Service Stations is quite common. Some of them use sleeping gas to make sure you don't disturb them. It was on the TV a few months ago.
Kipping in the car - PhilW
"this type of attack in French Service Stations is quite common. Some of them use sleeping gas to make sure you don't disturb them"

This crops up regularly with regard to French services and I once read a very good reply to the same point written by a trucker - apparently it is a "common occurrence" with truckers. However, this bloke had been driving for many years on the continent, had heard the stories hundreds of times but had never actually met anyone it had happened to. Nor had he met anyone who knew the name/identity of someone it had happened to. He also pointed out that it is not that easy to obtain "sleeping gas", that even if you could it is very difficult to administer a "sleeping dose" without the danger of killing by giving too much or leaving people awake by giving too little. He also said that since most of these gasses are heavier than air you would have to virtually fill an unventilated car or caravan/camper before knock-out occurred. He made many other points which I can't remember.
I have no doubt that it has happened on some rare occasions, but in 30 years of touring Europe (and occasionally using laybys/services to sleep in) I have also never met anyone it has happened to.
I don't know anything about gasses, sleeping or otherwise so the truckers opinion might be rubbish. But can anyone provide hard evidence of this gassing robbery taking place once let alone as a "common occurence"?
As for sleeping in the car - blooming uncomfortable, no loo, no shower, no cup of tea etc. How about Youth Hostels, B&B or even a tent and camping gaz cooker - safer, more comfortable etc. etc.
Kipping in the car - PhilW
This isn't the original article I read but it comes very close
www.pda-uk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2214
Kipping in the car - googolplex
I thought we were encouraged to stop driving every so often, have a kip, recharge our 'batteries' and then drive on...

I think you worry too much! What are lay-bys for if you can't have a kip in one of them!?
Splodgeface