Reprogram Avensis key - one for No Dosh? - Solunauk
No Dosh, didn't you have an Avensis? I just changed the batteries in one of my 1998 Avensis' black keys. Now the key will remotely lock the car, but not unlock it. It will unlock the car manually via the driver's door, but the alarm goes off when I open the door. I understand that I have to reprogram the key, and I found these instructions on the Toyotaownersclub.com:

"You can program an additional key into the Avensis 1998 - 06/2000 by following this sequence:

Open driver's door and insert programmed black key into ignition. Close door.

1). Within 15 seconds
Switch ignition on and off 4 times.
Switch ignition on.
Open and close the driver's door.

2). Within 20 seconds
Open and close driver's door 5 times.
Remove key from ignition.

3). Within 10 seconds
Insert black key to be programmed into ignition.
Switch on and leave for 1 minute.
Remove key.

Repeat step 3 for further keys.

To exit programming open and close the driver's door."

But I cannot get it to work despite many attempts. (I am of course using my other black key which works fine to initiate the sequence). Can anyone see a mistake in the above instructions? And when it says within 15 seconds, does it mean within 15 seconds of completing the previous step, or within 15 secs do all of the following? Can gaps be left between steps?

Once after step 2 the hazard lights flashed a few times - did that signify anything? Can't seem to repeat the occurrence.

I'm very reluctant to pay Toyota 30 or 40 quid to do this 2 minute job. Help, please!

Following up my own question, it seems the instructions above are for programming the immobiliser (and the key does in fact start the car), but other instructions have to be followed to program the remote to the alarm and locks:

"Avensis 1998 – 06/2000
Spwolf is correct. The immobiliser and central locking / alarm systems are separate.

The following sequence should program a remote into the central locking / alarm ECU:

Sit in driver’s seat. All doors closed and no key in the ignition switch.

Open the driver’s door.
Insert a programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn it. Remove the key.
Close the driver’s door.

Within 40 seconds
Open, close and open again the driver’s door.

Within 40 Seconds
Insert a programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn it. Remove the key.
Close the driver’s door.
Insert a programmed key into the ignition.

Switch ON and OFF once to program remote and keep remotes already programmed
Or
Switch ON and OFF twice to program remote and erase remotes already programmed

Remove key from ignition.
****The doors should now lock and unlock:****

Once if keeping remotes already programmed
Or
Twice if erasing remotes already programmed

Within 25 seconds
1). Press and hold remote lock button
2). Press remote unlock button 5 times
3). Release remote lock button
4). Press remote lock or unlock button once
The doors should lock and unlock

Repeat steps 1 to 4 for additional remotes.
A maximum of 4 remotes can be programmed."

But I can't get this to work - the doors do not lock and unlock at the step that I've marked with stars. Presumably that means I have not been able to activate programming mode. Are the above instructions correct? Anything else I need to do?

TIA

Okay, I've done it, thanks to Jean Nygaard of Toyota Denmark. The procedure in my second post is not quite right. This is the way to do it:

1 Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.
2. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.
3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.
4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.
5. Repeat step 3.
6. Close driver's door.
7. Insert key in ignition
8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.
9. Remove key from ignition.

10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.
(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of time corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)

11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:
(a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times.
(b) Release and press LOCK once.
(c) if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.
(d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (a).
12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure.

The above procedure is applicable for Avensis build from October 1997 to June 2000.

Phew!!!
Reprogram Avensis key - one for No Dosh? - No Do$h
Sorry for not responding, was enroute to Poole from SE1, via a meeting in Reading.

As it happens, mine was a very early car and I only had it for about 7 or 8 months.

Well done for sorting it and thank you for posting such a comprehensive list of instructions.

ND