New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - Klout
I bought a car at auction a few days ago which had no V5.

In the past you could simply go along to your local Post Office with your MOT and Insurance Certificate, fill in an application form for a new V5 and the car could be taxed and driven immediately. The new V5 would then turned up in the post some weeks laters.

The DVLA have now changed this system though. You now MUST have a V5 to tax a car, and if you don't have one you have to apply to DVLA for a new one BEFORE you can tax the car.

The DVLA now write to the previous owner of the vehicle to confirm that the transfer of the vehicle was legitimate, and then send you a new V5. The trouble is that this process can take up to SIX WEEKS. That means I have a new car that I can't use and need to keep off the road for a month and a half or I will presumably get fined on a regular basis for not having a tax disc.

I asked the DVLA whether I should declare a SORN on the car, but the person I spoke to said I didn't need to do that, but she really didn't sound very convincing...

Fortunately I do have somewhere to keep the car off-road whilst I wait for a new V5, and I still have my old car, but the moral of this tale is surely don't buy a vehicle without a V5 if you need to use it in a hurry!

New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - martint123
I wouldn't call them new rules now. Been on the go for a bit and advertised on TV as well. ISTR that no V5 at an auction knocks the price down a fair bit. I think dealers can fast-track the system??
New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - Dwight Van Driver
The new system was brought in beginning of last year IIRC in an attempt to stop crashed vehicles being used to replace stolen vehicles and then passed on as genuine.

If you buy the vehicle with no V5 be very wary as to its genuiness. Why was it sold with no documentation? Any qualms have a word with your local Plodshop supply them with details of VRM Engine/chassis no and ask them to check against their records.

You state you have bought so to get a V5 visit PO or download from DVLA site Form V5C, complete and send this with your cheque for &19 for a replacement V5. Whilst at it, if the vehicle is not taxed then it is up to the new owner to declare SORN, even if the old owner has done so. Again visit DVLA site and download SORN form and send it off too.

DVD

>If you buy the vehicle with no V5 be very wary as to its genuiness. Why was it sold with no documentation?

The car was sent to the auction by a major leasing company (I never buy privately entered cars at auction, I've been there & got the burns to prove it). I spoke to the leasing company and they said it was entirely legit, they just lost the V5.

>You state you have bought so ... download from DVLA site Form V5C, complete and send this with your cheque for &19 for a replacement V5.

I have already mailed off the request with my £19 cheque (£19? that'll be another stealth tax then)

>Whilst at it, if the vehicle is not taxed then it is up to the new owner to declare SORN, even if the old owner has done so.
Again visit DVLA site and download SORN form and send it off too.

That's good advice. I wasn't convinced by the woman at the DVLA who told me not to bother with a SORN, so I think I will do it just in case. No harm done if it's not needed.

Despite all the hassle I think this that tightening up the vehicle registration system is a good idea. If it helps keep one unregistered, untaxed or uninsured car off the road it will have been worth the inconvenience.

New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - cockle {P}
I have already mailed off the request with my £19 cheque
(£19? that'll be another stealth tax then)

Klout, I'm not normally one to defend the Government, any Government, they're big enough and ugly enough to do that themselves, but why is this a stealth tax?
You chose to buy a car without a V5 that the previous owners admitted they had lost, that V5 has to be replaced by one party or another; either yourself having accepted the deal or the vendor before sale because they were careless enough to lose it. Now, accepting that they couldn't be bothered to replace and you were happy to do the deal someone has to foot the cost of replacing said V5. If the cost of replacement is £19, printing new V5, verifying records, postage etc., why should the cost fall on the DVLA, and hence the taxpayer therefore subsidising either your deal or their carelessness. Let's face it if they didn't try to recover the costs they would soon be criticised for wasting public money!

Cockle
>Klout, I'm not normally one to defend the Government .... but why is this a stealth tax?

Hmmmm.... I am not sure I can answer that question without heading into political terroritory. However....

It's a stealth tax because it is a new charge for a service that the public have already paid for!

The Government collect £43 billion pounds of tax from motorists every year to pay for these sorts of services. If they're not spending that income on basic administration services, what ARE they spending it on?

And if there has to be a charge, then you are right, surely it is the person who lost the V5 that should be charged, not the new owner? (They seem to have missed a trick there though. Surely a £100 fine would be more in keeping with current thinking?)

Klout (fully expecting this to end up on the cutting room floor)
New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - Chuffer Dandridge
Klout, the £19 is certainly not a tax. You are asking DVLA to provide you with a service, i.e. replacing your vehicles registration document. Doing this will involve cost on their part, which they are asking you to pay.

Providing the service to you free would effectively be a stealth tax on those of us who do not need your cars registration document, but are being asked to share the cost of providing it for you.
OK, let me put it another way if I can...

"The £19 is certainly not a tax. You are asking [The Health Department] to provide you with a service, i.e. replacing your [hip]. Doing this will involve cost on their part, which they are asking you to pay.

Providing the service to you free would effectively be a stealth tax on those of us who do not need [new hips], but are being asked to share the cost of providing it for you."

Nuff said?

New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - Chuffer Dandridge
>>nuff said

DVLA, Health Service, V5's and Hips, a very strange analogy?

Not sure how this makes asking you to pay for replacing lost documentation a tax.
> DVLA, Health Service, V5's and Hips, a very strange analogy?

Is it? I thought it was plain enough.

My point is simply this: Is it any more acceptable for the Government to charge me for the "service" of providing me a new V5 than it is to charge me for a new hip on the National Health Service?

Should the Government charge for every service it provides, or just some services? Where do you draw the line?

And where exactly does that £43,000,000,000 of motorists taxation go?
New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - nick
''And where exactly does that £43,000,000,000 of motorists taxation go?''

It keeps your other tax rates down. The money to run a country and it's welfare state have to come from somewhere.

How efficiently that is done and on what it is spent is another question. But we have a vote on that.
New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - Ivor E Tower
You should have made sure that you paid at least £19 less than the going rate for the car to cover the cost of another V5. As has been said, there has been sufficient advertising by the government (maybe that is where the 43 billion quid goes) to make it clear that you should not buy a car without the V5.
Caveat emptor
New DVLA rules for cars sold with no V5 - Dwight Van Driver
Klout

Ivor E above has planted the germ of an idea for you to try.

On the premis that nothing ventured nothing gained then, as it appears you have details of the old owner then why not send an invoice to them for your nineteen notes.

Quote their obligation under under Section 22(2) Road Vehicles (Reg and Lic) Regs 2002:

"The registered keeper of the vehicle -

(a) if the registration document issued in respect of the vehicle is in his possession (which it should have been), shall deliver to the new keeper that part of the document marked as the part which is to be given to the new keeper....".

This they failed to do and as a result this has involved you in expense.

They just might be honest enough to cough up but I doubt you could go any further in a civil claim.

DVD