VW Polo -Noise - june maguire
Re -Volkswagon Polo 1Litre-5 door,no power steering 1998

A noise starts in the engine compartment only when the engine speed reaches 40mph.The car must have been siiting overnight or all day at work.

To stop the noise ,which is like a whine not a mechanical noise,you must bring the car to a stop and then take off again,this usually stops it but you may have to do this at least once more.

Once gone the noise will not come back again until the car has been sitting for some hours.Decreasing speed,touching the brakes,knocking it out of gear ,changing the air vents etc ,does nothing.If you don't stop the car the noise will stay there regardless of what speed you do.

Can you help?
Re: VW Polo -Noise - honest john
Might be the timing belt tensioner bearing. Gets noisy once it heats up and needs replacing.

HJ
Re: VW Polo -Noise - Andy Bairsto
I think HJ is spot on do not leave it to long or you will be looking at a very expensive bill .Also worth looking at is the water pump bearings.
Re: VW Polo -Noise - mike harvey
I've known a clutch release bearing to do this too.
Mike
Re: VW polo noise - june maguire
Thanks for the info will let you know if I find The answer
Re: VW Polo -Noise - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Oil pressure relief valve buzzing on its seat. Loads of |VWs do this and its always blamed on water pump, belt tensioner et al. Changing the oil for a lighter grade may help although I dont personally like fully synth it may halp here.
Re: VW Polo -Noise - Jeremy
This problem sounds very much like the one I posted on this web-site about my whining punto [search for replies under whining punto on 23-9-01].

Garages have failed to cure the problem & all the suggestions of water pump, cam-belt tensioners, alternator bearings etc. have not solved the problem

Do let me know if you find the cure. This oil-pressure release & clutch release bearing comments seem interesting

Good luck!!
Re: VW Polo -Noise - Jeremy
This problem sounds very much like the one I posted on this web-site about my whining punto [search for replies under whining punto on 23-9-01].

Garages have failed to cure the problem & all the suggestions of water pump, cam-belt tensioners, alternator bearings etc. have not solved the problem

Do let me know if you find the cure. This oil-pressure release & clutch release bearing comments seem interesting

Good luck!!