Desire - Cardew
Saw a program about Steve McQueen who(unbelievably) would have been 74 next month. Anyway it got me thinking about an older family friend who I think tried to model himself on the Star. Fast motorbikes, Porsches, private pilots licence - that sort of thing and always a pretty lady on the scene. We youngsters were always mightily impressed with both cars and the women.

Well he is now in his 70s, certainly not impoverished, but sedately drives a little hatchback with his fourth(I think) wife. I asked him recently if he didn't miss all the exciting cars he used to drive. He said it was the motoring equivalent of impotency and quoted George Melly who famously said that losing his sex drive was like being untethered from a wild beast!

So are we all destined to become Septuagenarians pottering around in shopping trolley mode in our little cars? (the GRowler will be a notable exception)

But it did occur to me that the two conditions might go hand in hand!!
Desire - Marcos{P}
It's what the Honda Civic was made for. Excluding the Type R of course.
Desire - helicopter
Just hang on a minute there !!! Cheeky young pup Marcos. I drive a Civic and I aint pushing up the daisies yet.

Just let me get out of my cardigan and slippers and I'll be round there to give you a good thrashing with my Zimmer Frame!

The youth of today - Nurse wheres my tablets!
Desire - helicopter
Oh - and speaking of Good Time George , if you ever get the chance to go and see him perform live , take it.

He's 77 years young and still going strong with Digby Fairweather and his band rather than John Chilton these days - He looks piratical with a big black eyepatch and his multicoloured siut ( sponsored by J&B whisky )and he has to sit down these days on stage but what a personality.

If you are into jazz its a great night out.
Desire - J Bonington Jagworth
'Captain' Cephas Howard, of Temperance Seven fame, is my neighbour (until recently, he also ran the pub next door) and is growing old mildly disgracefully. Must be something about jazz musicians...
Desire - THe Growler
Ask him if he remembers (I hope I've got this right -- anno domini and alcohol-diminished brain cells combined) David Mills, who I believe used to play with the T7. I got to know him when he hosted a jazz programme on Radio Bahrain.

Anyway, all you need is a '60's muscle car, a girlfriend less than half your age and a ready supply of Vitamin V to conquer such irritating side effects.

Just remember also that youth and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
Desire - THe Growler
....oh, and a Harley Custom Softail with open pipes and large swathes of the contents of the Arlen Ness catalog stuck on it. Babes locally love those. The jury's still out on the tattoos tho'.
Desire - SpamCan61 {P}
Strangely enough I was in Tesco New Milton car park t'other day an an elderly gent (must've been 75) was just driving off in his Civic ...type 'R' ..seemed like a strange choice!
Desire - Algernon
>>So are we all destined to become Septuagenarians pottering around in shopping trolley mode in our little cars?<<

Some of the time, perhaps; but Mk IV Supra gets a thrash now and then!
Desire - DougB
Last time I saw George Melly was at Middx. Poly Students Union, where he (and the band) spent the evening dodging plastic pint pots thrown by the students! Why he subjected himself to that I'll never know.

Last summer I pulled up at the pub Sunday lunchtime in my Corrado, shades on, window open. (Can't put my elbow on the window because of the psoriasis).
Only place to park was next to a fairly high kerb. Owing to dodgy hip and bad knees I had to crawl out of the car before I could stand up.

Wife still mentions it occasionally.

I must buy one of those trucks with the big wheels!

Regards, DougB
Desire - helicopter
DougB - Lovely image - LOL - I remember one beautiful spring Sunday lunchtime at the local pub where everyone was admiring the scarlet 355 in the car park, obviously out for its first trip having been laid up for the winter.

The elderly gent ( with very obvious toupee) who climbed in turned the colour of his car when it refused to start , much to the amusement of the lads who were standing around with their pints awaiting that lovely Ferrari roar.

Eventually he got it started but it was stuttering and misfiring badly and he limped off down the lane in embarrassment. Sad really.
Desire - trancer
While entering the local bicycle shop this morning, I had the pleasure of holding the door open for an 84 year old gentleman who had come to collect his brand new mountain bike. I just had to stand and watch him pedal up a road grade that I have personally cursed as my own 33 year old legs ached while ascending.