Optional seatbelts? - smokie
Sitting in traffic on my way through Dunstable today, I was looking at drivers going the other way and was amazed at the percentage who were not wearing seatbelts. I'd say at least 2 out of each 10 eligible vehicles.

Having said that, sometimes it was difficult to tell, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I remember going on a Friday evening shift with a former neighbour who was in M4 TraffPol. He was offered two hours extension to his shift (from 00:00 - 02:00) and told to put it down as "seat belt checks". Apparently each month they are (were) given some additional budget for specific offences. Checking for non-wearers is even MORE difficult at the dead of night, so we cruised around looking for drunks and listening to other channels on case a pursuit came our way...
Optional seatbelts? - PhilW
Smokie,
Next time, if you want to get depressed, look for the number of back seat children with no seat belts - must be 50% I reckon. "Game" my wife and I often "play" on the motorway. You would be amazed how many kids are unprotected - even in those cars with "baby on board" signs in rear window.
Phil
Optional seatbelts? - HF
And in most of those cars with unprotected children, the adults in the front are wearing seatbelts. Just makes you wonder how the NHS manages to fund so many lobotomies.
Optional seatbelts? - David Horn
On the bright side, at least there are plenty of donor organs available for my family, who all wear their seatbelts. I won't allow anyone in my car without wearing a seatbelt.

One thing that has always puzzled me is why schoolchildren never wear seatbelts on buses, even though they're provided. I always wore mine, but no one else did.
Optional seatbelts? - commerdriver
The thing that amazed me when I first dicovered it is that, while the buses used for school trips etc need to have seatbelts, the buses uses for the school run do not even have to have seatbelts fitted and in some areas the bus operators are allowed to size the vehicles based on three small children on a double seat
Optional seatbelts? - Dipstick
That might be true if people carried donor cards. In general they don't.

I wonder how effective it might be if cards were sent out with the tax reminder. Might make people think a bit, and might even make a few more sign and carry the darned things.

I appreciate many people won't want to do this for various reasons, but a donor card thrust under your nose once or twice a year might actually focus the mind, so some good would be done.
Optional seatbelts? - volvoman
Judging by the way so many parents seem to be in a world of their own outside schools I'm not surprised how many then just drive off with kids rattling around in the back like so many untethered shopping bags. You'd think more of these kids might take matters into their own hands though - my 9 year old won't even let me start off along our drive unless he has his put both his and his younger brother's belts on.

In another thread someone (Patently ?) was understandably bemoaning the fact, amongst other things, that bags of peanuts have 'may contain nuts' warnings on them. I guess the people who need what seem like warnings of the obvious are the same stupid people who drive around putting themselves and their kids at risk.
Optional seatbelts? - Dipstick
In a world where the bottom of a mini Celebrations box has a warning saying "Do not read this whilst the box is open" then I rather think written notices to be increasingly ineffective.
Optional seatbelts? - OldPeculiar
You are making the assumption here that those dumb enough to need such labelas can actually read.

Children not wearing seatbelts? In my opinion there is absolutly no excuse. I won't set off unless everyone has thier belts done up and if kiddy undoes it then I'll pull over and won't move till it's done back up. Students not wearing seatbelts, well that's different (minibus twister anyone?)
Optional seatbelts? - OldPeculiar
There is also an assumption that those complaining about people unable to read labels are themselves not so dumb as to be unable to type 'label' correctly :)
Optional seatbelts? - henry k
And in most of those cars with unprotected children, the adults
in the front are wearing seatbelts. Just makes you wonder how
the NHS manages to fund so many lobotomies.

>>
This appears to be a tragic example of the above.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3472567...m

TV report said that the two girls died after being thrown through the rear "windscreen".
Mum survived to serve two years in jail.

If you were to say to these drivers" YOU do not love your children!!!" (because of not insisting on belts being used in the back) I feel sure you would get GBH of the ear or worse.