Peugeot 306 Stiff Gear Change - GC
After 168K my so-far trusty Peugeot 306 diesel had developed a very stiff gear shift. Sometimes it is almost impossible to engage particularly 1st and 2nd gears. If the car is started from cold, the problem is not nearly so bad. It gets worse as the engine warms up.

I hoped this was a linkage problem, but when I checked at the weekend the stiffness looks to be from the input selector on the gearbox itself.

It doesn't look too promising. Does anybody have any ideas of things to try or experience of changing a 306 transmission?
Peugeot 306 Stiff Gear Change - solara
When was the clutch last changed?
Have you checked you transmission oil level?
The car is still on it's original clutch. I unscrewed the transmission oil plug (when the car was up on stands though)and very clean oil came out. I haven't properly checked the level though. It must be a bit tricky to access this plug to check the transmission oil and keep the car level.
Did you open the drain plug or the filler plug?
The filler plug should be checked on a level surface.
You should also measure both gearchange link rods from centre to centre. Dont have Haynes manual handy, but can get you lengths if you cant get hold of one.
I have checked the lengths of the linkages and they all agree with the lengths in the Haynes manual.