Ban horses from the roads! - David Horn
No, really, ban them. That's what one of the people who wrote in to the Times' motoring supplement this week wants to do.

Apparently, (and I suspect they just printed it because it was so funny) he/she wants them banned because of the poo they leave on the road.

From what I gathered, a "friend" was riding a motorbike around a corner, only to come across a pile of poo in the road. Front wheel slipped out and said friend went sailing down the road on his stomach minus bike, lubricated with large quantities of dung.

I couldn't help laughing - they want all horses banned from the road because they are "farmyard animals" and unpredictable and unsafe. Yeah, right. They might put a dent in your motor if you annoy them but hurt you? You're more at risk from baseball cap boy in his modded Nova, or one of the millions of untaxed, uninsured and MOTless drivers currently on our road.

I ride and have never found horse poo to be particularly slippery (please, don't ask) and my suspicion is that motorbike man was either going way too fast, or accelerating too hard.
Ban horses from the roads! - madf
I have this aftrenoon collected about 3kg of horse poo off the road 5 metres from my gate. With horse doing home delivery, any suggestion of a ban is silly.

:-)

madf

Ban horses from the roads! - SteveH42
With horse doing
home delivery, any suggestion of a ban is silly.

Apologies for going OT, but be careful about using this stuff on your garden! You may find that if a horse (or any animal) has recently been treated (eg for worms) then it'll act as a pretty good weedkiller...

As for horses on roads, is it really any problem to ease off, maybe knock it in to neutral and coast past? Although I agree it is sensible for them to keep to quieter roads for an easier life all round.
Ban horses from the roads! - Civic8
I am inclined to agree.It is funny but I suppose wasn`t for the rider.Being I live in kent it is nice to see the Horses out.I have no complaints with them/their left behinds.
Ban horses from the roads! - teabelly
Horses aren't dangerous per se but in the hands of a poor rider they can be. Drivers have been killed by either hitting horses or having the animal rear up and stick their hooves through the windscreen. Riders have also been killed by animals going a bit postal after motorists selfishly whizz passed them or sound their horn.

But I would question the intelligence of horse riders that take their large skittish animals along national speed limit roads during rush hours. Seems like more of a good way to get a ride in the back of an ambulance and a create a large quantity of glue....

I am sure far many more bikers are injured by diesel spills than horse poo. I would certainly love diesels to be banned just for the added piece and quiet :-)
teabelly
Ban horses from the roads! - Sooty Tailpipes
I don't have problems with horses, people are supposed to ride or drive in a manner which will allow them to stop or take evasive action and avoid trouble like this. Every time a rider approaches a corner (or any other hazard for that matter), he/she should automatically be thinking "what if?"

What if there is excrement or obstacles on the road, have I left myself a way out?
What if there is something blocking the road around the corner will I be able to stop?

I'm afraid the biker is a victim of his own folly, luckily he lived and hopefully learned.
Ban horses from the roads! - v0n
I'm not sure how it's sorted in UK but unless horse riders pay road tax they are guests on public roads, aren't they? If they poo on roads one way or another sponsored by motorists, owners should be forced to "clear the mines". Just like dog owners must pick up what's left after their pet in public park...
Ban horses from the roads! - Nortones2
Other than m-ways, motorised vehicles are the guests. All other roads are public: don't assume that the limited range of abilities required of motorists, who are of a limited age (16 to say 75ish), represents the totality of existence. The public are able to use (most) roads as of right whatever their abilities - this is not a legless/horseless state yet!
Ban horses from the roads! - stackman
The problem I have is with "stealth horses" that seem to proliferate around these parts.

Thoughtless riders take to the roads on dull brown horses wearing dark green and brown coats which blend perfectly with the hedgerows.

Obviously I always slow down for horses but by wearing more conspicuous clothing I would spot them from a greater distance and have a bit longer to reduce my speed, reducing my risk of skidding on the copious amounts of manure left in their wake.

Not all riders are this thoughtless and I have seen several in reflective tabards and with high-visibilty "cuffs" fited to the horses legs.
Ban horses from the roads! - Dynamic Dave
Obviously I always slow down for horses ...

What annoys me are the ones who are never curtious or polite enough to put a hand up or nod their head as a gesture of thanks for slowing down for them.
Ban horses from the roads! - Budgie
On the head Nortones2 - you said what I felt but without the expletives - that attitude unfortunately typifies too many motorists - we all pay for the build + maintenance of roads, not just motorists through car/petrol tax. Using this logic, if a teetotal non-smoker goes to hospital, I guess the heavily taxed chainsmoking binge drinker has more right to treatment.

Oooh, I could get quite cross!
Ban horses from the roads! - v0n
Norton2 and jehovah I feel you concentrate on the wrong part of my post. I did say I don't know how this issue is resolved in UK, even though I feel I could really argue the point about roads not being sponsored by motorists.

Let's imagine your neighbour has a dog and the animal during its last morning walk decided to leave a pile of poo in the middle of public green area (which, unlike for example someone's private garden was designed mostly for people). Let's also imagine you accidentaly stepped into it on your way to work and was forced to carry on thoughout your daily tasks and meetings with a bit of processed Chicken Pedigree Pal on the bottom of your Armani trousers. Dog is a luxury, it's not entorely neccessary neither as a part of a park, nor as a part of a general city landscape. It's part of your neighbours luxury stock, together with a Range Rover and fake marble Italian fountain in front garden. I imagine we all agree you would have every right to demand at least a rule forcing dog owners to pick up the excrements their pet was so keen to leave on the grass.

Now lets move to horses. Horse is also a luxury. It's not a form of commuting, it's not used as ambulance anymore, the fire brigade can carry on their service without them too. So what is their status on public roads, nota bene designed specifically for fast moving car traffic? You reckon they have their statutory place just like bicycles. To me they are just slow moving, jay walking, uninsured large pet animals, "driven" on public road mostly for fun and without any safety signalisation at that. In terms of requirement, they are as needed on public roads as spitting camels in city center. And thanks to their appetite they have wonderful ability of turning entire side of your shiny rep mobile into pig farmers overshue lookalike.

So, I think it's not entirely insane to demand large pet animals to banned from public roads. We don't let people walk in the middle of them, we don't let kids on push scooters use them, we don't allow husky sledding on them, so why not agree 50mph traffic in XXI is no longer a place for horses? But since we don't have legislation to ban them completely from roads let's at least agree to the pet regulations - horse owners should take responsability for their animal and if it's neccessary take a shovel, bag and do what dog owners must do for years.

v0n, horse loving dog owner.
And please excuse my foreign grammar.
Ban horses from the roads! - AdrianM
No, it's a public highway - horse riders (like cyclists) use it by right. As motorists we pay tax for the privilege of driving on the public highway.

Of course all users should respect, and give due consideration to other users, and follow the highway code.
Ban horses from the roads! - BazzaBear {P}
I could be wrong on this, but legally speaking I think the horse riders do have to clean up their horses leavings.
It's just that generally speaking, they don't anyway.
Ban horses from the roads! - madf
Steve said:"Apologies for going OT, but be careful about using this stuff on your garden! You may find that if a horse (or any animal) has recently been treated (eg for worms) then it'll act as a pretty good weedkiller..."

madf

Ban horses from the roads! - matt35 {P}
madf,

Be careful of using unidetified manure - some years ago we bought some expensive stuff from a guy who said it was from Red Rum....it worked a treat, but all our roses jumped the fence into the neighbours garden!
Matt35.
Ban horses from the roads! - helicopter
Doesn\'t anyone drive in the \'real\' country any more ( not the glorified suburbs and mattress / burnt out car dumping grounds around the South East) but \'oop North\' where they bring the cows and sheep in from the fields along the road.

The \'end\' product of herds of cows or flock of sheep especially after a bit of rain is prodigous.That is to say more pink fluffy dice and more slippery than a cabinet minister under questioning from Paxman.

Accepted wisdom with any animals on the roads is just be patient and slow down or stop and let them come past you or until you can safely overtake . Oh - and close your windows unless you really enjoy the rich aroma of the country.
Ban horses from the roads! - Robert J.
I was once surounded by a herd of cows going for milking. Another good tip helicopter is to fold your wing mirrors in.
Ban horses from the roads! - Dwight Van Driver
Oh how I love horses!!!!!!!!!!

Years ago at the anniversary of 150 years of British Policing
my old Force decided we would parade through the City of York - every man, woman except the sick formed up in Divisions/Units in column of threes.

Night before, knife edge creases into the trousers, spit and polish on the boots to get the mirror finish. Uniform dusted down to smarter than a new pin.

Duly paraded at some ungodly hour at York and then came the triumphant march into the city with out beloved leader at our head astride one of Mounted Sections finest. A big, fit,brown beast.Second in line behind said Lord and Master was Support Division (Task Force Commander at that time) and me at the front only a short distance from prancing beast. Should have noted the signs as it was flactuating a lot as it pranced.

Off we set, head held high and arms swinging to the heights. Of course, bran and hay feeds did its work and the naughty horse started to dump prodigous amounts on the road and right into the path of our marching feet. Result, black boots took on a kharki/mustard colour as did the bottom of our trousers.

God did its wind and muck stink. Afterwards a free nosh and not at all well received in the canteen. Talk about a leper colony.

Horses, yep I love em.......

DVD

{DVD, unlike you to test the swearfilter. DD}
Ban horses from the roads! - Robbie
I think horses are brilliant, when they are in their fields looking over the fence for you to pat and give them an apple or two. Unfortunately, their riders are usually not so brilliant.

We have two riding schools and stables in the village and the riders are a pestillence. The worst times are week-ends and school holidays. Over the past few years there have been two youngsters killed, together with their horses, and a few horses have been injured and killed after jumping over the fence on to the main road from one of the riding schools. I'm surprised that there haven't been more accidents as they are usually ridden in groups along a main road and the horses are skittish when buses and heavy lorries approach. Some months ago a double decker bus had to brake and swerve when a horse reared up, nearly throwing its rider.

Horses and busy roads just don't mix.

Ban horses from the roads! - OldPeculiar
Do remember that owners are not liable for any damage to your car caused by the animal.

I know a gent who had to stop in the road as a herd of cows was being moved the other way to another field. He had to sit there waiting as 30 cows bumped along his stationary car making rather a lot of dents. He was not best pleased but also remarked on how intimidating it was.
Observation of the road is required, except when said horse and rider launches onto it of course, which requires a crystal ball. Trite but true. If the village is a horse riding area, it must be well known to habitues that caution is needed. We've had a number of deaths locally from high speed. It wasn't the horse. No wonder we have traffic laws: what's so hard about slowing down?
Ban horses from the roads! - AdrianM
...ROFL....excrement!!
Ban horses from the roads! - Cardew
"Doesn't anyone drive in the 'real' country any more"

Every day without fail between 10am - 1130am from Knightsbridge to Whitehall via Buckingham Place & The Mall and back again; lots of horses.

Taxi Drivers don't seem to mind and neither does the lady who lives in the big house at the end of The Mall.

That's real horse country!
Ban horses from the roads! - patently
a "friend" was riding a motorbike around
a corner, only to come across a pile of poo in
the road.

So what would he have done if a cyclist/child/parked car/recent accident had been there instead of the dung?

And whatever happened to the concept of driving so that you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear?

Sounds like he was downright lucky to me.
Ban horses from the roads! - Oz
You only have to look at any old photo of a street in your town (wherever you are) around 100 years ago, and you'll see the telltale pile on the road. Who used to clear it all up?
I can only add (for general entertainment) the German expression for same: Pferdeäpfeln (horse-apples). Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour?
Oz (as was)
Ban horses from the roads! - none
Would be interesting to know what sort of car the average horse rider drives. Nissan? Skoda? Wartburg? Or might it be a BMW or Mercedes, or perhaps some other road greedy device such as a 4wd 4 seater juggernaught.
Ban horses from the roads! - malteser
The best use for a horse is to provide catmeat!
Ban horses from the roads! - Carmad 10000
This is a very good topic to discuss. I personally find horses to be a right pain in the backside- especially if they have a rider that doesnt wave when traffic slows down!

A few years ago, I used to ride a moped (im not proud). Anyway, I remember on one Saturday morning, I was riding to work when i came across a horse in the middle of the road. I did the right thing and slowed right down to about 5mph. I then proceeded to overtake and I stuck right over in the other lane so I wouldnt frighten the horse. Anyway, being a moped, the faster you go, the louder it is. So when I went to speed up it got louder, consiquently making the horse frightened. As i proceeded to overtake, the horse went MENTAL!! and started turning round in circles in the middle of the road. To prevent further distress, I rode on as quickly as possible.

I personally think horses shouldnt be on the roads. Being animals, they have minds of their own and therefore can be unpredictable. However, many others will disagree with this agruement im sure, so how about a compromise? Maybe it would be a good idea for each horse to take a 'riding test' to measure their ability on the roads instead of any old black beauty being allowed out. It would have to be conducted through an independent governing body and a licence would be issued at the end.

Also, with regard to horse shhhhh...poo, I think there should be rules for horse riders in the same way as there are for dog owners. OK, i can appreciate a dog is much easier to control and does not produce as much waste as a horse (usually), however, horse dung can be dangerous on the roads (as demonstrated by the stunt motorcyclist in the first post).

Any other thoughts?
Ban horses from the roads! - Obsolete
I think horse riders have a right to use the roads, just as car, bike, lorry etc users do. It makes me angry when I see people driving dangerously fast near horses. Only a week ago I saw someone overtake a horse and rider at ~50+ mph. What are they supposed to do when a bridleway stops at a road with no pavement?

I'm not sure how riders can clean up poo given that they look forwards. Maybe a special poo-cam could be fitted so that the rider always has a clear view of the horse's bottom?

BTW fresh horse poo is a bit strong and does need composting first. However it does make a good mulch for shrubs. It'll suppress weeds - no light - and rots down to feed the plants.

PLEASE STOP HERE IF YOU ARE EATING OR ARE A BIT SENSITIVE

Regarding dog and horse poo. (What a savoury thread this is.) Horse's poo is for the most part just digested grass/hay/straw and I have no problem handling the stuff with ungloved hands. I suspect the bacteria are not harmful, but would not advise anyone to eat it (hohum). Dogs on the other hand eat meat, which I believe results in a much more complex and harmful bacterial fauna in their poo. (Rotten meat is much more dangerous than a rotten vegetable.) They can also have numerous parasites that we can catch. And of course the smell is foul. There's a good reason why lots of mycologists - fungus scientists - have studied micro-fungi on horse poo, but few have got stuck in (so to speak) to micro-fungi on dog poo.
Ban horses from the roads! - Obsolete
I forgot to say that I think that the rider who skidded on horse poo was going too fast for the road. Otherwise he would have had time to see the hazard and steer away from it, or perhaps brake if the whole road was submerged in 6" of the stuff (as the result of a horse poo transporter losing its load). So really it was his own stupidity, and the fact that he was not hurt but damaged his bike is a good lesson for him.
Ban horses from the roads! - Carmad 10000
Leif wrote:

\"Regarding dog and horse poo. (What a savoury thread this is.) Horse\'s poo is for the most part just digested grass/hay/straw and I have no problem handling the stuff with ungloved hands. I suspect the bacteria are not harmful, but would not advise anyone to eat it (hohum). Dogs on the other hand eat meat, which I believe results in a much more complex and harmful bacterial fauna in their poo. (Rotten meat is much more dangerous than a rotten vegetable.) They can also have numerous parasites that we can catch. And of course the smell is foul. There\'s a good reason why lots of mycologists - fungus scientists - have studied micro-fungi on horse poo, but few have got stuck in (so to speak) to micro-fungi on dog poo. \"

Thanks for the scientific analysis of horse dung Leif! Very interesting stuff, especially if you are into compost. However, i dont think the rider who ran into it was that bothered about the type of bacteria in it - at the end of the day its still poo! It makes a mess, it is slippery - especially when wet, and therefore can be fairly dangerous i would of thought.

I can appreciate what you were saying about horse riders being entitled to use the roads. Although i can see your point, I think the likelyhood is most people who ride horses are not travelling on them - they are just out for a leisurely stroll. Maybe it would be a good idea to issue times when horses are not allowed on the roads - i.e. rush hour.
Ban horses from the roads! - soarer
snip

Rant deleted as likely to start arguments.

DD, BR Moderator.
Ban horses from the roads! - Robbie
I think horse riders have a right to use the roads,
just as car, bike, lorry etc users do. It makes me
angry when I see people driving dangerously fast near horses.

We are now in the 21st century, and horses don't mix with heavy vehicular traffic. Do you think we should still have that man walking in front with a red flag?

I have seen far too many near misses between horses and buses. And as I have previously posted, there have been three fatal accidents involving horses near where I live. Indeed, one happened when the rider was on a very wide grass verge on the dual carriageway. The horse was spooked by the noise of traffic and charged into the road. Both horse and rider were killed by a heavy goods vehicle.

Although I live in a rural area, there are main roads close by which continue to be used by young female riders. The majority appear to be novices with little thought about the dangers of traffic.
Ban horses from the roads! - Jane
"I'm not sure how riders can clean up poo given that they look forwards. Maybe a special poo-cam could be fitted so that the rider always has a clear view of the horse's bottom?"

Horse drawn carriages giving tourists rides around cities/parks etc generally have a strategic 'poo bag' attached to the horses back ends that catches any escaping manure!

As for horses being ridden on the roads...I agree with whoever said that there should be some sort of test to make sure a horse is 'roadworthy'. Unfortunately, the roads where you are most likely to come across a horse and rider are the ones that involve blind bends and narrow lanes...not good on a 'spooky' horse.

On busier roads a seperate fenced off track running alongside would make it safer all round. When building a bypass near where I live they did this as well as building a tunnel under the road for the use of horses, riders and farmers moving their herds (I guess the council had a rush of blood to the head and actually decided on a plan that was both sensible and useful....that doesn't happen often!) ;o)
Carrick: quite a few riders are too young to drive. But of those who can, it can only be sensible to have another view on life, whether usually behind a 3-pointed star or not. Like motorcyclinging, horse riding makes you aware of your surroundings. Now, what was your hidden message?
Ban horses from the roads! - ajit
Perhaps they should modify the horse road sign to have a the tail raised....nuff said
Ban horses from the roads! - helicopter
A couple of years back I wanted a few bagfuls of the well rotted horse product for the garden and went with Mrs H to the local stable where a large apparently solid steaming pile of the stuff was just waiting to be bagged up - help yourself free of charge.

Wellies and gloves on I climbed onto the pile of poo to get over the back to the well rotted rather than the fresh straw at the front - I'm 16 stone so you've guessed - I sank up to groin level and trying to extricate myself lost one of the wellies.Well I really didn't want it back.

My how I laughed!!!
Not.

That said Mrs H was curled up.
Ban horses from the roads! - matt35 {P}
helicopter,

Welliesorter will be along any minute!

Matt35.
Ban horses from the roads! - Mattster
Any other vehicle (or whatever) needs to be insured, taxed and have a licensed driver. Why should horses be different?

Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Ban horses from the roads! - mfarrow
Any other vehicle (or whatever) needs to be insured, taxed and
have a licensed driver. Why should horses be different?

I don't need the above to ride my bicycle, nor to walk down the highway if I chose. Same for horse-drawn carriages (I think!). Horses were on the road long before cars, so they should be treated with respect {like the elderly :-)}.