Where to buy a glass polishing kit. - glowplug
Having seen various posts on trouble cleaning glass and where to buy the recommended products, I thought I'd let backroomers know that Machine Mart sell a kit for just under £22. In the kit is the powder (jewellers rouge?), 2 lint free bobbins & taper/arbor for your electric drill and some lint free finishing cloths. I've used the polish on my windscreen and kitchen windows applied by hand and the results are great. I've finally managed to get rid of the dreaded Rain X. Best of all it took less effort to get rid of it than it took to apply it!

Happy New Year!

Steve.
Where to buy a glass polishing kit. - xam
Glowplug

Are these kits any good for removing scratches from the windscreen and ensuring that there is no subsequent vision distortion in the repaired area?

Xam
Where to buy a glass polishing kit. - SlidingPillar
Never bought a kit, as a major windscreen company gave me a pot of jewelers rouge. (I asked their advice about a waxy resdue on glass of a new car once).

Rather hard work by hand, but works well with a small handheld grinder and cloth wheel.

All such polishing actions will spoil the surface acuracy of the glass ie turnining it into a lens. But for small scratches (such as might be caused by a ring) I doubt you would ever notice.

By the way, for plastic glazing (such as on hoods, sidescreens of older convertables) it is much too harsh. Brasso is fine for this, even by hand.
Xam,

I suspect that that SP is right, I would imagine removing enough material to polish out a scratch will cause optical distortion also the amount of polishing needed would be extensive. I think that other than a good deep clean the only other thing I would use it for are the opaque stripes caused by faulty wipers.

Steve.
Where to buy a glass polishing kit. - J Bonington Jagworth
You've got Rain-X on your kitchen windows? :-)
Where to buy a glass polishing kit. - Ivor E Tower
If you wear contact lenses, try some of the cleaning solution on the windscreen - gets rid of quite a lot of grease and other nasty deposits (but not scratches though).
Where to buy a glass polishing kit. - SlidingPillar
I probably should add.

The waxy deposit on the screen was easly removed this way, not a lot of work. (As Autoglass told me it would be)

I have since removed scratches from various windscreens and the aero screens on a vintage car. This is more work and I suggest you blend the polished area in, thus minimising the effect of creating much of a lens. None of my efforts would you tell, and I assume those of my neighbour, as I lent them the gubbins for a similar job.

These days, for a waxy deposit, streaks etc I would probably try T cut first, as it is "slighly" less abrasive than brasso and other metal polishes. Use a clean soft cloth and polish in a circular action, making lighter and lighter contact.

Remember, it is possible to make at home a convex mirror for a Newtonian telescope, so car glass is easy by comparison.
JBJ,

Not just the kitchen windows, all my flat windows. It keeps them cleaner and I can admire the view even when it's raining hard.

Steve.