Crash bars - Too low? - John Shelton
I noticed when I was working for Toyota motor manufacturing that the crash bars inside the doors were set very low in relation to the cars waistline, particularly so in the Corolla. then I noticed that the from structural member of the car )basically an "O" section beam behid the front bumper plastics was set at a much higher level. This seems all wrong because I saw a programme not long ago which stated that crash bars used to be situated much higher in the doors but a change in EU rules governing side impact testing had changed. So basically what im suggesting is that low set crash beams are pretty useless in side impacts because, and to contradict the EU the first part of a car to strike another cars side is most certainly NOT the metal pressing underneath the radiator its the "bumper iron"which is a lot higher. Only Volvo seem to have retained a much higher crash beam. I know this because whilst out in my support van last week I came across an accident where a Volvo HGV Artic had overshot a roundabout and hit the side of (ironically) a Volvo V40 estate . the cars side was flattened but the high set thick tubular door crash bars had stopped any intrusion. I was most impressed as the V40 driver was unhurt, but any lower set bars would have been useless and would have allowed the doors to move inwards causing injury to occupants, yet there is a move away from high set bars to meet EU regs which seem to be putting us all at risk!
Crash bars - Too low? - owen
Whilst crash regulations continue to focus on only 2 crash tests to determine a pass/fail, it is inevitible that manufacturers will tune the crash perfomance of their cars to these tests, particularly with EuroNCAP scores becoming increasingly important from the point of view of marketing. Whether this approach provides sufficient to provide protection in all types of crash is open to debate!
Crash bars - Too low? - Chad.R
Maybe slightly off topic but did anyone else see the picture of a new model 5dr Toyota Corolla backed up on to the front of a Galaxy MPV in one of today's papers, IIRC Daily Mail or Express?

According to a witness the cars were at the lights and when they went green, instead of going forwards, the Corolla slowly reversed back up on to the galaxy's bonnet and only stopped when the rear wheels got stuck through it's windscreen! All occupants were unhurt apparently.

I'd be a bit worried if I was a Galaxy owner as if this was to occur in a head on situation, the other vehicle would get launched into the cabin!!

Chad.
Crash bars - Too low? - David Horn
Yeah... It was the Daily Mail. (I don't admit to buying it, I read it in the Little 'Eff). I didn't think it was that funny; the rear wheels were right through the Galaxy's windscreen and it could have been really serious.

In a lesser note, it was apparently due to the elderly driver selecting reverse instead of 1st. No doubt the Toyota has reverse just next to 1st, which is a really stupid place in my opinion. In my Xsara it's under 5th gear which is a far more sensible location.
Crash bars - Too low? - Ben79
On the newer HDI powered Citroen C5, the reverse was moved to next to 1st gear. When reverse is selected, a bong noise is made to alert you. It was annoying at first, but is quite an interesting point for passengers, they always comment.