Ford fiesta - Fuel gage/sender fiesta - Midge8290

Hi all, another question/problem. A bit of back story first. I inherited a ford fiesta zetec Mk6 2007 which has been stood for a good 14 months if not longer. When I first acquired the car the fuel was on red and the light was on. She did start on the old fuel. I went to get about £5 worth of fuel so I could get the car home. On the way home (roughly 2miles) that £5 I put in did absolutely nothing to the petrol gage. Get her back and started it the next day and noticed the fuel light was off. Took her back and forth from the mot station (8miles) on that £5 without the light coming on. Took her just up the road about 1/2 mile and light came on again. I then took her to a petrol station (8miles away) to fill her up to about half a tank £25 worth. Ran her for about 20 or so miles and then put in another £29 to have her on full. I did 150 until it was roughly on the half a tank where I put in another £19 to fill her back up on full.

My question is does all those miles and prices roughly work out to be accurate? After filler her completely up again yesterday I did drive about 5 miles home on a full tank, started her up this morning and she was already down half a notch.

Every time over filled her up she has cut her self of with being able to fill to those prices with no problems and I could also hear a guzzling sound as the air was being pushed out the tank. I'm hoping it is reading right but I don't think it is.

If it isn't, how and what should I do? Where is the petrol gage sensor, how to clean it, how to tell it's broke etc etc

Thanks all!!

Ford fiesta - Fuel gage/sender fiesta - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like you’re doing around 300 miles to a full tank which I think is about right . I wouldn’t get involved with the fuel gauge sender unit , access requires removal of the tank . Monitor the operation of the gauge and make your own assessment of its accuracy.

I found a link online about finding the hidden information on the cluster. No clue what this means but it said regarding fuel "fuel A/D input 54/55"

"Fuel percentage 55%"

"Fuel gage 0349".

Anyone knows what this all means?

Ford fiesta - Fuel gage/sender fiesta - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s the calibration settings for the instrument cluster , done at the factory from build . You can’t change them , so don’t worry .

I wasn't planning on changing of it, I just wanted to see if the fuel gage is ready right was all

Ford fiesta - Fuel gage/sender fiesta - galileo

I wasn't planning on changing of it, I just wanted to see if the fuel gage is ready right was all

Fill till the petrol pump cuts off.

Zero the trip meter (or note the odometer mileage.)

Drive 200/300 miles and note the distance when you stop to fill up.

Fill again (at the same pump if possible) then divide the distance by the volume needed to fill and you have an accurate miles per litre.

Multiply this figure by 4.546 to get the true mpg over that distance.

I don't think fuel gauges are more accurate than +/- 1 litre, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they are.

Ford fiesta - Fuel gage/sender fiesta - jc2
I'd be suprised if they were that accurate-the last car I owned(1957)that had a ACCURATE gauge was a 1934 Austin 7 and that only held 5 gallons.

Edited by jc2 on 28/02/2021 at 09:07