Suggested maintenance - BobbyDazzler
Hi all, I've posted here a few times and have been greatly appreciative of all the help i've received. I'm about to pick your collective brains once again if i may....

A week ago i bought a 1993 Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2 Litre injection with manual transmission. I love the car and it drives beautifully (compared to the Volvo 460si it replaced) but i'm afraid it has been neglected. The paintwork laquer has lifted in a few places (entirely across the top of the boot lid) and has a couple of deep, but small, dings that are probably going to necessitate a complete respray at some point. The engine is as quiet and smooth as can be however and i definitely think she's worth the effort and expense to put right (there are other irritating little things that don't work). Here's where I need your help.

The car only cost me £450 (with 6 months T&T, private sale) but as i'm on a severely tight budget i need advice on what to prioritise and concentrate on first. The obviouse engine oil/filter change is planned for but what others?

The diff doesn't exactly whine....more of a 'ssshhhhhh'....and i've been advised by a local small motor factors shop to replace the oil in there with the Lucas Oil additive detailed here...
retailers.lucasoil.com/administrator2/Manage_Produ...f

what do you think? Would you also use this in the gearbox? I've read a lot of your opinions on these types of additives in this forum (i was advised 100% replacement with this stuff).

Could anyone suggest a sensible sort of 'maintenance' schedule i could embark upon? I've decided it's safer to assume that his car has been totally neglected!

Once again, much appreciation for your time and advice.

Regards
Bob

Suggested maintenance - Glutton
This has cropped up before... and for a Carlton too!

A good list of maintenance that should be carried out on a secondhand motor.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=70...9