-- - Pcp - JCBBFC27

Hello I'm about to take out a PCP deal which I know I can afford but just wanted to see what others thought about PCP? My experience with buying older cars for cheap isn't great as maintenance becomes expensive so I've decided to purchase a Suzuki Swift boosterjet engine which is two years old on this deal. Has anyone used pcp and what was your experience with it?

-- - Pcp - Falkirk Bairn

Cash is king in car buying

Bank Loan at 3% can make sense

PCP only really works with new cars - low rate or 0% and a deposit contribution, to lower the cost.

Buying a 2nd hand car & paying an APR around 10% or more is madness.

-- - Pcp - daveyjp

Its a way of renting a car for a few years.

Usually expensive for a used car and if the loan extends beyond the warranty you can be faced with paying for a loan and expensive repairs and maintenance on a car you don't own.

You will also probably have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance.

-- - Pcp - JCBBFC27

Its a way of renting a car for a few years.

Usually expensive for a used car and if the loan extends beyond the warranty you can be faced with paying for a loan and expensive repairs and maintenance on a car you don't own.

You will also probably have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance.

That's why I tried to go for a known reliable car, obviously it doesn't mean it won't need repairs time to time but surely can't be as expensive as cars I've had in the past, on cost me over a grand in repairs in one year!

-- - Pcp - RT

Cash is king in car buying.

That part so out of date - dealers make more money on the finance than buying/selling cars

-- - Pcp - mcb100
Exactly right. I’m not sure on the split between margin in the car and commission for finance, but cash with no part exchange puts the buyer in the weakest position for bargaining.
-- - Pcp - Falkirk Bairn

>>dealers make more money on the finance than buying/selling cars

i.e. If the dealer makes money from Finance sell AND the finance company makes money from lending - if you can avoid both (or borrow from a bank at 3%or less) you cut out 2 other people living off your payments.

Recent changes coming are the commission to garages.

Old system - Let's say the HP/PCP lender was 4% APR as a minimum the garage gets increasing "back hander" when the APR rises. i.e. Garage gets the punter to pay 9.9% rather than 5% then the commission rises substantially.

New System - Flat Fee as a % of the amount borrowed by the car buyer. The old system of HIGHER APR = fatter commission no longer brings a bigger commission to the garage

-- - Pcp - SLO76
“ Cash is king in car buying”

Never had been, not since dealers started receiving fat commissions from finance companies. Best route is to let them think a beefy finance deal is coming their way while negotiating a deal then once you have it in writing tell them you’ll take it but you’ll supply your own money either through a low rate bank loan or savings.
-- - Pcp - Ethan Edwards

That's interesting I just sold a Swift booster jet two years old. Utterly brilliant car.

1 litre or 1.4?

-- - Pcp - JCBBFC27

That's interesting I just sold a Swift booster jet two years old. Utterly brilliant car.

1 litre or 1.4?

It's a red 1 litre, be mad if it's the same one!

-- - Pcp - brum

Everything you need to know about pcp good and bad

www.thecarexpert.co.uk/car-finance-pcp-explained/

And much more about all aspects of car finance

www.thecarexpert.co.uk/expert-advice/car-finance-a.../

-- - Pcp - Ethan Edwards

Nah your safe Blue. But it was a 1 litre. That's a cracker of a car. Great choice. I guarantee every time you get out of it you'll be grinning.

-- - Pcp - JCBBFC27

Nah your safe Blue. But it was a 1 litre. That's a cracker of a car. Great choice. I guarantee every time you get out of it you'll be grinning.

All I've heard is good things about it!

-- - Pcp - mcb100
It may be worth having a look on Suzuki GB’s website. They’re promoting a zero deposit, 0% APR PCP on a brand new Swift that may not be significant more expensive than paying 10% on a used one.
If you have a part exchange, and anything towards a deposit, that will lower the monthly payments further.
-- - Pcp - drd63

This, it all depends on the deal. If someone is giving away free cash and you’re not paying over the odds to compensate why would you not take advantage? Loads of 0% deals around on all sorts of things at the moment. Make the most of it.

-- - Pcp - Ethan Edwards

No. They dont do the 1litre turbo anymore. Your choices are 1.2 and the rather more expensive 1.4t both mild hybrid. The 1.4t is less powerful as well than the older K14C variant I have in my Vitara. If you want better economy lower insurance and 90% of the power of the 1.4t swift sport you need to buy used. Plus the ride is comfier too. The 1.2 is probably OK too but that 1litre turbo is a belter.

-- - Pcp - SLO76

Hello I'm about to take out a PCP deal which I know I can afford but just wanted to see what others thought about PCP? My experience with buying older cars for cheap isn't great as maintenance becomes expensive so I've decided to purchase a Suzuki Swift boosterjet engine which is two years old on this deal. Has anyone used pcp and what was your experience with it?

PCP’s on used cars are rarely remotely competitive. What’s the APR on the deal you’ve been quoted and if you don’t mind, how much are you borrowing?
-- - Pcp - Terry W

In principle PCP should always be more expensive than cash purchase - if for no other reason that you are paying interest, admin, overheads and profit for the finance company. They are also taking a large part of the risk on trade in values.

A two year old car on a PCP deal will always be a higher risk for the vendor - when the lease ends it may be 5 years old, outside most manufacturers warranty period, and higher mileage.

Apparently 9 out of 10 new cars "sold" to the public are on a finance deal. So I suspect car manufacturers and dealers often prioritise PCP deals for promotional and marketing activity, discounting overstocked models, managing production volumes etc etc.

So basically you need to do your homework. Personally I would rather buy than do a PCP deal - but I am also happy to wait for a decently discounted deal and don't get obsessed with precise spec or colour!

-- - Pcp - veloceman
I went to my local Alfa dealer looking at a 2 year old Giulia.
To cut a long story short it worked out far cheaper to buy new. With a £6k deposit contribution and a far superior interest rate was £150 a month cheaper. New car also came with a five year warranty as opposed to the 1 year balance of the used one. Was also able to purchase first 3 services for £349.
So for me was a no brainer - I could also choose colour and spec too.
A lot on here scoff at PCPs but works for me.
-- - Pcp - skidpan

I have no set rule on how to buy a car, I simply do the sums and do it the cheapest way.

PCP's have been very good for us with their contribution and your right to pay them off instantly with no penalty, but we have only used them on a new car.

0% finance is great providing it does not result in having to pay full list, again check your sums.

Pre-reg can be great as well but sometimes it can be no cheaper than buying new with manufacturers incentives. We saved a large sum on our recently bought Superb iV which was 3 weeks old with 8 miles on the clock. There were no finance deals on this model and broker deals were not as good a they were for ICE Superbs (there were no broker deals on our chosen trim spec at all). Then there was the fact that waiting lists were long for a factory order, it was a no brainer.

But when we bought a brand new Micra with 29% discount I spotted some pre-reg ones in the corner and asked how much, the dealer said they owed him money and would be more expensive. Similar with a C-Max, went to buy a pre-reg and the salesman asked if we would be interested in a brand new car for the same money, who wouldn't.

So do your sums, its only simple maths.

-- - Pcp - barney100

PCP, not for me. Some people I know have them and are quite happy but I like to buy and keep for a decent length of time.

-- - Pcp - concrete

Agree with others here. Second hand car on PCP is not a good idea. Make the stretch and go for new. Any PCP, Lease, HP deal can be good if it suits you. But you need to carefully examine the T&C's. The devil really is in the detail. If you are determined on this used Suzuki then get a cheap loan. easy if your credit rating is good.

Cheers Concrete

-- - Pcp - Senexdriver

I’ve posted here before about the deal we did on my wife’s Audi in 2017. I’ve always bought outright, but in this case the salesman said we could save money by going down the PCP route and paying off the whole cost within 14 days. The numbers were: list price £33,705, cash price £30,500, PCP price £28,909 with a deposit of £4,800 to drive it away on handover day. There were manufacturer and dealer deposit contributions which made the PCP option the winner.

So, come handover day, a bit of form filling, payment of £4,800, wife drives off delighted with her new car. Next day, a phone call to Audi Finance, a settlement figure obtained, bank transfer executed and a day or two later a letter from Audi Finance confirming that they have no further interest in the car.

I wouldn’t say an automatic ‘no’ to PCP.