Wrong mileage recorded during lease return - cs638

I recently returned my lease car at the end of the three year period. Due to covid restrictions (I'm currently self isolating) I wasn't able to deal with the guy who came to collect the car directly. I have since been invoiced by the finance company for excess mileage. The contract mileage was 30,000 and the inspection report states a mileage of 33,394. I stupidly didn't take a picture of the mileage whilst preparing it for inspection, but know that mileage was around the 23,000 mark. I'm assuming then that the guy carrying out the inspection has incorrectly recorded a mileage of 33,394 rather than 23,394.

I've received an invoice today of around £200 from the finance company, which is when I first noticed the mileage that had been recorded in the vehicle inspection report.

I never signed the vehicle inspection report, due to not dealing directly with the guy and my wife, who did speak to him, basically handed the keys over to him, then spoke to him briefly after he'd completed his inspection and was told 'everything's fine, there'll be no charges'. At this point I was emailed a copy of the inspection report, but didn't pick-up on the incorrect mileage.

I've gone back to the finance company today to dispute this excess mileage charge, but what are my chances of them agreeing that this was a mistake and the mileage is incorrect?

The vehicle is due it's first MOT on 15/11, so I assume there will be an online record of it's actual mileage after this has been completed, which would prove that 33,394 is completely incorrect, but I'm keen to have the matter resolved before then.

Wrong mileage recorded during lease return - RT

The car will get MoT'd when it's sold on - Check on the DVLA MoT History site to see what mileage was recorded.

The car will get MoT'd when it's sold on - Check on the DVLA MoT History site to see what mileage was recorded.

Yup, I had a check this morning, just on the off chance it's already been MOT'd and there was now an online record of it's mileage, but there's nothing yet.

I would assume that once I can 100% prove that the mileage recorded during the inspection was incorrect, the finance company wouldn't have much of a case to keep trying to pursue me for the excess mileage. Especially when I haven't signed the vehicle inspection report either.

Wrong mileage recorded during lease return - Miniman777

How difficult is it to take a pic of the milo before it went back? it would be hard to dispute photographic evidence.

Have you any mileage logs to back up your 23k miles? I have a lease car and have to submit a mileage return every month to show the split of business and private miles.

How difficult is it to take a pic of the milo before it went back? it would be hard to dispute photographic evidence.

Have you any mileage logs to back up your 23k miles? I have a lease car and have to submit a mileage return every month to show the split of business and private miles.

Yeah, daft mistake. The mileage didn't even enter my head when I was cleaning out the car before the inspection last weekend, as I knew it was nowhere near the 30,000 limit. Won't be making that mistake again. I don't have any mileage logs, so looks like I'm reliant upon the MOT being completed shortly and a record of the mileage being available online after that.

I suspect the guy doing the inspection has mistakenly entered 33... instead of 23... in the keypad my Wife said he was using to enter the details. It's something I would possibly have picked up on, had I physically been there at the time.

Wrong mileage recorded during lease return - Palcouk

The fact that any report wasn't signed by you has no baring

I've heard back from the finance company this morning. It looks like when I've reset the in-car display etc, it also reset the vehicle dash to display the mileage in KM's, rather than miles. So the recorded 33,394 was actually in kilometres, which equates to around 20,750 miles. The invoice has now been cancelled.

Learnt from my mistake. Always take a pic of the mileage, even if well under the limit, before handing the car back.

Wrong mileage recorded during lease return - Brit_in_Germany

Did the contract stipulate any refund if you are below the set limit?

Wrong mileage recorded during lease return - concrete

You must have copies of service invoices. These should show the mileage at and between services and also crucially how many miles you averaged per annum. Although not proof, that with a request for the finance company to delay the case until the vehicle is MOT'd should do the trick. They must know they are dealing with a normal decent customer who is pointing out an error, they can surely cut you some slack. Good luck.

Cheers Concrete