The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - daveyK_UK
As many forum contributors will know, a few years ago the PSA group purchased Opel & Vauxhall from General Motors.

While most of the models that have been released since the take over have differentiated significantly enough to stand alone since the take over (for example the corsa differs enough from the 208 to be distinctive), that cannot be said for the Berlingo MPV / Rifter MPV and Combo MPV which are near identical unless you go for the top trim level,.

So second question of the week - on behalf of a colleague

He wants a brand new, base spec 5 seater 1.5 diesel MPV Berlingo/Rifter/Combo Life and plans to keep it from cradle to grave (he had a 51 plate Berlingo that’s just given up the ghost after 19 years and 289k of service).

Of all 3 models, the base specs are near identical (although to confuse matters Peugeot seem to have pulled the base spec Active trim in the UK but there is a handful left in dealer stock).

The Vauxhall is the cheapest from a broker, the Citroen £380 more and the Peugeot some £1300 more direct from a dealer (in metallic, no solid colour left) than the Vauxhall.

After all that, the question is - why go for the Citroen or Peugeot?
Will a Citroen or Peugeot badge hold their value better?
Will he have problems touring in Europe getting support and parts if it’s badged a Vauxhall despite being mechanically identical?
Once the warranty has expired will his local Peugeot dealer (around the corner from his house) be able to service it for him? Can they service it for him in the first 3 years and keep the warranty going as the car is identical to the Peugeot Rifter MPV? (The Vauxhall dealer is 7 miles from his home, the Peugeot dealer is 0.3 miles!).

Thank you for any help
The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - SLO76
Call round Peugeot dealers, starting with his local and ask them to match or get close to that online quote from Vauxhall, one might just be desperate enough to hit a monthly target to do it and then the problem is solved.
The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - badbusdriver

In answer to the question and the specifics of the potential buyer, obviously go for the Vauxhall, I mean why wouldn’t you?. This is not a vehicle bought by the image conscious, it’s bought by folk looking for practicality above all else. And personally, I’d guess that those same people put value for money above whatever badge is on the front.

As to the other questions, how well the Vauxhall holds its value compared to the other two is utterly irrelevant if he plans to keep the car as long as you say. Getting parts in Europe, no idea why you think that may be a problem?. As we know, they are the same car, so any Citroen, Peugeot (or Opel) dealer will be able to get parts for it. Once the warranty has expired, yes, of course he can take it to his local Peugeot dealer, just like you could any other car. Presumably this Peugeot dealer sells other makes than Peugeot (second hand), and most people who buy one will expect to be able to have it maintained where they bought it. As for servicing it within the warranty period, certainly on paper, you should have no problems having it serviced at the Peugeot dealer, as long as they are using Vauxhall parts. Though as we have learned in various threads, in practice, it may not be so straightforward. Having said that, having to travel 7 miles to the Vauxhall dealer for servicing is hardly going to be the end of the world.

Edited by badbusdriver on 26/10/2020 at 18:09

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - Smileyman

The other questions that could be asked include

Will one be cheaper / dearer to insure?

What is the maintenance schedule for each, for example does one need more visits to garage than another?

What is the cost of maintenance? for instance is there any point using the local Peugeot dealer if they are dearer than the further away Vauxhall dealer. (or vice versa)

Are loan vehicles available (if you want such)?

And the killer question, what do you think of the dealerships, are you comfortable with the prospect of being a customer there?

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - alan1302

We bought the Vauxhall version simply because it was cheaper than the other two.

The Rifter does have a different steering wheel/speedo setup from the other two which someone may or may not like.

A very good car - would go for the 130bhp diesel for the extra power.

I had been thinking about the the Peugeot's "i cockpit". Some folk like it, others hate it!. This could well be a make or break factor, regardless of the extra cost over the Vauxhall.

Personally, I'd take the Combo Life all day long (for the reasons already mentioned), wouldn't give it a second thought.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - gordonbennet

That initial saving is not to be sniffed at, more than covers the extra miles required for its probably 3 at most required services during warranty period.

I suspect the buyer either is a good home mechanic or has a good indy who will take regular maintenance on once warranty is expired, long term ownership means make influence on resale is irrelevant, so long as the VX version pleases i'd be going there.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - Sofa Spud

As an aside, PSA Group is now merging with Fiat-Chrysler to form a new parent company called Stellantis, which will be based in the Netherlands.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - daveyjp

We had similar discussions when we bought an Aygo. Toyota v Pug v Citroen.

Toyota came through as it was the cheapest for the spec we wanted. Unless there are significant spec differences go on price.

You may want to check service prices as we found out subsequently that Toyota servicing for the Aygo was much cheaper than Pug and Citroen charged for the same vehicle.

Thank you

Will feedback
Adding to the general debate regarding badge engineering,

The equivalent Vauxhall models across the board are cheaper than near identical Citroen & Peugeot models.

It appears Vauxhall / Opel is to become the budget conscious side of the business.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - Lee Power

Grandland X has already got the nickname Poundland X in the trade.

Its just seen as a 3008 with all the fancy toys removed.

Grandland X has already got the nickname Poundland X in the trade.

The Grandland X hybrid being run by Car Magazine in a long term test has a list price of over £43k.

Its just seen as a 3008 with all the fancy toys removed.

As far as I can tell the Vauxhall is just as well, if not more so, equipped than the 3008 (certainly pound for pound), so not sure what that comment means?.

It certainly doesn't have Peugeot's 'i-cockpit', but that surely wouldn't be classed as a fancy toy. And given how divisive that is, the Vauxhall not having it is surely a god thing. As for looks, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, but the 3008 does suffer from a malady affecting most, not just SUV's, but cars in general, that of being 'over-styled' and too fussy looking. The Grandland X is arguably a better looking car thanks to its simpler, less fussy lines. Personally, I think it is a fine looking car in the flesh, I pass one regularly which lives round the corner.

The only downside I can see of choosing a Grandland X over a 3008 is the likely heavier depreciation. But as the buyer is planning to keep the car a long time (not that the 3008 or Grandland X were choices anyway), how well it retains its value is irrelevant.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - edlithgow

As an aside, PSA Group is now merging with Fiat-Chrysler to form a new parent company called Stellantis, which will be based in the Netherlands.

A company name rhyming with Atlantis, based in the Netherlands, doesn't seem a very good omen for the Global Warming Era.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - Engineer Andy

A lot of this also depends upon how long the vehicle will be owned. If the parts are interchangeable under the skin, availability and cost should be easy to compare, and they have to be available for a minimum of 10 years after the vehicle goes out of production, so it may depend on where the person wants the lowest cost or is more concerned about other variables such as the image/styling, the driving experience or specific tech, gadgets or trim combos one model has that another doesn't.

The other factor that is very important is the quality of the dealerships and, if they are considering going indie at some point, other garages in the area. A car might be good, but dealerships across those makes vary in quality a great deal, and normally aren't amongst the best generally for customer service.

Whether a main dealer survives may also have nothing to do with whether they are good or not - my local Vauxhall main dealer left the franchise for new car sales last year and now just sells second hand cars (all makes), but is an 'authorised Vauxhall service agent'. I doubt if they'll survive much longer (COVID or not - I rarely see anyone inside or using the service dept when I go past)

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - _

Vauxhall amongst others were "culling" the franchised dealer networks before covid appeared and many other car dealeships are having a hard time, but the "Fast Fit" bunch will undoubtedly survive.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - RT

Vauxhall amongst others were "culling" the franchised dealer networks before covid appeared and many other car dealeships are having a hard time, but the "Fast Fit" bunch will undoubtedly survive.

My local Vauxhall dealer switched to Citroen soon after the takeover.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - Lee Power

My preferred Peugeot dealer was swallowed up by the Vauxhall main dealer next door but there now an authorised Peugeot service centre to.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - Terry W

Reading this reminds me of the British Leyland days.

Rather than lose individual brands, they badge engineered like crazy - Morris, Austin, Riley, Wolsey, Van den Plas carried different badges and trim, but were all 95% the same.

One of the key reasons they went to the wall was maintaining a disparate disconnected dealer network.

Citroen, Peugeot, Vauxhall are heading in the same direction with no clear differentiation between he brands. Which you select is about minor spec differences.

VW by contrast have created a number of very distinct brands.- Audi, VW and Seat/Skoda. It is backed by a clear marketing and development strategy.

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - alan1302

Citroen, Peugeot, Vauxhall are heading in the same direction with no clear differentiation between he brands. Which you select is about minor spec differences.

I think we will need to see what happens when they finish their merger with Fiat as well as that will have an affect - I do wonder if they drop one of the brands - possibly Vauxhall/Opel

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - Andrew-T

I think we will need to see what happens when they finish their merger with Fiat as well as that will have an affect - I do wonder if they drop one of the brands - possibly Vauxhall/Opel

It didn't take them long to drop the Talbot badge after that was picked up (in the late 70s IIRC).

The Vauxhall vs Citroen Vs Peugeot conundrum - RT

Reading this reminds me of the British Leyland days.

Rather than lose individual brands, they badge engineered like crazy - Morris, Austin, Riley, Wolsey, Van den Plas carried different badges and trim, but were all 95% the same.

One of the key reasons they went to the wall was maintaining a disparate disconnected dealer network.

VW by contrast have created a number of very distinct brands.- Audi, VW and Seat/Skoda. It is backed by a clear marketing and development strategy.

To be fair, VW Group is the only global example of successful platform sharing across multiple brands - GM made a pig's ear of it and have gradually closed or sold brands, eg Saturn, Geo, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Holden plus Opel/Vauxhall/Bedford.

PSA, and now Stellantis, really do need to separate their brands in a way that the car-buying public has a clear view of each brand's market position, mind you Hyundai/Kia need to do the same thing now they're adding Genesis and Ioniq as sub-brands.

The plan with the Fiat merger was to make Fiat the budget brand for commercials

Not sure how that would work if they push the 500 and 500x as luxury lifestyle cars