DVLA Change of Address - fredthefifth

We are completing a house move at the end of October and will be moving from England to South Wales. We will be moving into a lockdown area :-(

Just had a look at the DVLA web site and though it looks fairly straightforward to change address there doesn't appear to be an end / start date for the old / new addresses. In view of police checks etc we want to get the car log book, licence etc changed to the new address prior to the move.

Given the time that I know these things can take to percolate through the DVLA I'm tempted to do it now. Any thoughts or advice please?

Thanks

Edited by fredthefifth on 15/10/2020 at 10:19

DVLA Change of Address - Bromptonaut

Personally I wouldn't want to be changing those details until the de-facto move has taken place.

If you're worried about proving you are resident in Wales to the Heddlu then carrying a copy of the sale contract or completion statement should be enough.

DVLA Change of Address - fredthefifth

Thanks Bromptonaut, is your caution because of the vagaries of completing a house sale or another reason?

DVLA Change of Address - daveyjp

I'd also wait as any changes to address on licence and V5C will also mean changes to insurance now and also again when you eventually move.

Some insurance companies charge handsomly for changes to policies mid term.

DVLA Change of Address - Lee Power

Definitely wait until your actually moved in to your new house - a last minute hitch could delay things & your new documents could reach your new home before you move in.

DVLA Change of Address - Bromptonaut

Thanks Bromptonaut, is your caution because of the vagaries of completing a house sale or another reason?

Little bit of that in the current emergency but mainly that I'd not want my post going there before I was in occupation plus the potential ball ache with insurers etc.