Private reg on car but sold - E..
Some advice needed please - I have a private reg which was bought for me which is very sentimental anyways I went to dealer and traded in my car made aware I had never done this always sorted by my husband anyways they knew I had a private plate and asked me to fill in a v319 and sent together with payment and asked if car ever been sorned (it appears may have been previously on garage forecourt bought from) bottom line I received an email from company buying the car from the auction it went to advising plate in my name and they got my details from info in car (car went to auction) and basically they cannot so do anything with the car due to me having registration And hence why they could contact me - just to keep me right if this ok - 1. Car should not have sold with my plates on 2. My info should not have been left in car 3. Although dealer saying sale on hold there is a chance I could loose my plate ? Just need some advice garage have said it will be sorted and I will have my reg plate

Edited by Eileen Benson on 25/09/2020 at 20:49

Private reg on car but sold - Avant

Sorry - I can't make head or tail of this. Your first sentence runs for 5 lines.

As moderator I sometimes put in paragraphs where a poster hasn't, but in this case I can't even see where to put any.

Edited by Avant on 25/09/2020 at 23:36

Private reg on car but sold - FP

Some advice needed please - I have a private reg which was bought for me which is very sentimental. Anyways, I went to dealer and traded in my car. Made aware I had never done this - always sorted by my husband. Anyways, they knew I had a private plate and asked me to fill in a v319 and sent together with payment, and asked if car ever been sorned (it appears may have been previously on garage forecourt bought from).

Bottom line - I received an email from company buying the car from the auction. It went to advising plate in my name and they got my details from info in car (car went to auction), and basically they cannot so do anything with the car due to me having registration. And hence why they could contact me - just to keep me right if this ok.

1. Car should not have sold with my plates on.

2. My info should not have been left in car.

3. Although dealer saying sale on hold there is a chance I could loose my plate ? Just need some advice. Garage have said it will be sorted and I will have my reg plate.

[Still not entirely clear. I have done my best. A career of teaching English may have helped.]

Edited by FP on 26/09/2020 at 00:18

Private reg on car but sold - Andrew-T

Sorry - I can't make head or tail of this. Your first sentence runs for 5 lines.

Avant, I think you are being generous. If it weren't for those three numerals I might have thought the full-stop key was out of order. But punctuation apart, I suppose the message is vaguely clear, especially after clarification from FP.

As regards the OP's question, I thought a fee of £80 covered the transfer of a plate. It may involve knowing whether the car still belongs technically to her or the trader ?

Private reg on car but sold - Terry W

The following link if you want to take off a number plate and put it on a retention certificate which seems to be the intention:

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/take-private-number-off

In principle the change should be made before you sell the car - so getting this sorted may take a bit of effort.

Private reg on car but sold - Doc

You must have your V778 (Retention Certificate) and new log book before you sell your vehicle - otherwise you’ll lose the right to use the private number.

Edited by Doc on 26/09/2020 at 11:32