Any - Utility companies - nick62

Just received a business utility bill for a company that was (and may still be) owned by the previous occupant of our home. Bear in mind we moved to this address in early 2007.

The letter said it was important, so I though it best to do my bit.

The non-geographic telephone number on the envelope did not work (number not in use or some such guff), so I Googled the utility company in question and was given the same number plus a "normal" landline number for 'accounts queries', which I dialled.

I explained the above to the bloke who answered, explaining this address has not been associated with the business for more than 13 years. He answered that he was not able to deal with it directly as it was "not his department", but was going to give me an alternative number to dial for this purpose........ I had a little rant, put the phone down and shredded the letter.

Do you ever wonder why you bother with these idiots?

Any - Utility companies - Falkirk Bairn

Chances are the debt have sold off a number of times in 13 years.

They may have bought it with thousands of others for a modest amount of money - 1p in the £1 is probably more than they paid. They work debts, mailing, phone calls, search for directors etc etc in the hope that a few payout.

It's a company name, the owner has moved & they are not chasing you personally. Just ignore it and they will eventually give up.

Any - Utility companies - Bromptonaut

Chances are the debt have sold off a number of times in 13 years.

That, exactly.

Dealt with case a year or two ago where mobile phone debt has been sold on. In that instance, despite her denials, I thought there was a strong possibility the recipient of the letters was liable. Contracts taken for phones passed on to her son who stopped paying the bills.

Clear however that the agent was itching for an offer of payment and that they'd have accepted a fraction of sum claimed.

Any - Utility companies - gordonbennet

Do you ever wonder why you bother with these idiots?

Time after time after time, and not just utility companies, i've reported issues that are going in a matter of time become serious are countless, without fail a complete and utter waste of breath, usually involving middle managers in name only.

I learned a long time ago something that does work (it won't in this case), when its serious enough that there could be an accident or injury if something isn't done and they've ignored my verbal report (you can tell them till you're blue in the face, no record in writing? it was never reported) i then write a letter to the company informing them that a possible accident or similar is likely at some point due to xyz, due to something that could and should have been addressed previously, always has the desired reaction.

As for debt collectors, many years ago i was being chased by a debt collector on behalf of NTL the cable television people, we moved house and the company could not supply our new one, but that didn't stop them billing us for a service they copuldn't provide, their call centre staff actually lied,, it all ended finally when i received a call from them whilst we travelling on the Orient Express to Venice, invited them to see me in court.

For your amusement here is a letter that i wish i'd written to NTL, warning, one or two choice terms are used

gardenworld.proboards.com/thread/3198/ntl-complain...r