Any - Asking for insurance refunds - Old.Roverboy

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-04/coro.../

I have a bone to pick with all these arguments asking for "refunds"

If your car is on the road being used or not, It MUST be insured.

How many people underdeclare their mileage to save a few quid or "forget" that SP30 or such... or the MOT, or the tyres, or the servicing.
Nobody will force you to service your car and keep a decent amount of tread on tyres. No one will force you to MOT it or even insure it, till you get caught and it gets impounded/crushed.

Too many people "WANT" what they consider is a right, but what is the administrative nightmare of processing refunds, some of which will be for minor amounts?
In my case it would be about £15.50 for a full month refund and how much to process that, issue cheques postage etc.

No I'm not going to ask for one. There are far more important matters to deal with at the moment.
Stay safe everyone
ORB

Edited by Old.Roverboy on 14/04/2020 at 08:50

Any - Asking for insurance refunds - bathtub tom

If they want a refund, they can always SORN it and cancel their insurance.

Of course that'll mean they'll lose the rest of the month's tax and have to pay from the start of the month they re-tax it. They'll also probably lose a year's NCB and have to pay an administrative charge.

They probably want 'someone else' to do it for them - snowflakes!

I've not used the car for three weeks and don't foresee using it for at least another nine as the wife's 'extremely vulnerable'. I'll keep it taxed and insured in case of urgent need.

Any - Asking for insurance refunds - daveyjp

If you are in a position where you may have gone from a wage of tens of thousands a year to benefit of less than 100 a week reducing outgoings is a priority.

Any - Asking for insurance refunds - Old.Roverboy

If you are in a position where you may have gone from a wage of tens of thousands a year to benefit of less than 100 a week reducing outgoings is a priority.

I'm not commenting about those in difficulties, but those who want a measly amount back without thinking of the problems involved .

i don't think insures should do it automatically, but contact them and talk to them.

I had good advice about cancelling and taking out a new policy when i bought a new car last month,no admin fees as i immediately took out a policy for the new car and a cheaper quote as it became new business.

Well done LV

Edited by Old.Roverboy on 14/04/2020 at 10:42

Any - Asking for insurance refunds - Cris_on_the_gas

Best way to get a pro rata refund is to ask current Insurance company to transfer insurance to something they won't insure. Say a kit car, imported vehicle, Ferrari etc. Just keep asking until they refuse to insure, at this point they are obligated to give refund of time not on risk.