Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Firmbutfair

If you have a keyless entry car then keeping your keys (both pairs) in Faraday pouches, round biscuit tins, aluminium foil, the fridge or your microwave oven and/or "well away from the front door of your house preferably upstairs at the back of the house" - will NOT be a long term solution to beat keyless entry car theft.

The Faraday Pouch and cheaper solutions only afford a defined amount of signal attenuation - maybe as little as just 20 to 30 dB and if the criminal relay attacks become less reliable - from the thieves point of view- then they will simply turn up the sensitivity on their relay receivers (and /or get more sensitive ones manufactured) to compensate for the reduced signal strength coming from your key fobs.

To demonstrate this point I placed a walkie talkie radio set (PMR 460 with up to 0.5 watt RF transmitter power at 460 MHz) switched to baby alarm/monitoring mode and placed it inside a well known Faraday Pouch. I then signalled the supposedly hidden receiver using the other handset. Yes, you've guessed it the receiver responded with the ring tone very clearly as though there were no screening at all - even from several tens of metres away. The same was true using our microwave oven and any number of round tins with tight fitting lids.

Bottom line is that the Auto Manufacturers have to come up with a proper permanent fix for all their existing customers and a newly designed system that is not vulnerable to the relay attack or any similar 'high tech' assaults.

I am astonished that the Insurance Industry has not already put considerable pressure on the manufacturers to FIX this problem once and for all - well until the next generation of cyber theft techniques is developed!

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Bolt

faraday cages should be advertised as to what they can be used for as most I see are for credit cards not key remotes

iirc, using a solid cage like a biscuit tin usually acts more like an amplifier because of its solid state ie the signal enters and gets amplified in the tin

a proper faraday cage depends on the distance apart of the wires which determines the frequencies it will in effect reflect or cancelled out

IMO its the transmission that should be not only be encrypted but possibly a serial no from the remote scrambled and only the receiver can decrypt and act on the transmission, as do most Bluetooth devices need authentication codes to connect to a computer, should be easy to do and cheap if Bluetooth devices can do it

but even they can be hacked but not as easy....like Bluetooth TPS can be hacked but difficult

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Firmbutfair

Many thanks BOLT for your response. Further to my posting I can say that my Son has an April 2017 Reg keyless entry Ford and we popped his key fob into the smallest very tight fitting lidded biscuit tin we could find (about 75 mm diameter and 75 mm deep) where we had additionally 'emery papered' any surplus paint or surface finishing off the inside of the lid and the outer rim of the tin - to improve the continuity of the contact all round the lid (and to reduce the possibility of the gaps round the circumference of the tin lid acting as slot antenna and actually increasing the signal coupling from outside into the resonant microwave cavity insid the tin). With just one keyfob inside this specially prepared tin - our first two approaches to the car were ignored by the car and no entry was possible. However the third approach and every subsequent approach WAS recognised by the car (as it had maybe adapted to the weaker signal from the keyfob and increased the sensitivity of its receiver to operate in the customer's favour). So in reality the generous operating margins intended to favour reliable operation of the keyless entry system actually are a gift to the potential relay attack criminal since he/she exploits these margins to great effect and your treasured possession ends up in a fairly well screened steel container down at the local docks just an hour or so after the theft - out of sight of your expensive tracker system device and smart 'phone app - both purchased at great additional personal expense - never to be seen in the UK again!

Edited by Firmbutfair on 26/08/2019 at 11:43

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Bolt

problem is any tin no matter what size will act as a signal amplifier so blocking any gaps will not stop a signal being amplified inside, and as the case is an aerial in itself

the point is, hackers use a booster receiver transmitter to extend the signal from the rear of any house, and the only way to prevent it is to have either a switchable on/off remote or the signal is encrypted using a code only the vehicle receiver will respond to, ie if the sender code is diverted through a 3rd party it should be able to detect it and not respond to it

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - CHarkin

Could not agree more, it's a shocking situation. A few makes say they have solved the issue, BMW I believe is one and are offering a retrofit to earlier cars but it comes at a high cost. I asked HJ the insurance question and he says the premium for some cars has rocketed.

I have been delaying buying a Toyota for over six months now waiting for this to be sorted. I was told the system could be turned off and reverted to manual key operation but when you see the key its a silly emergency use thing. Im getting fed up waiting and also not prepared to pay a few hundred quid to have new keys at a later date.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - RichT54

The key for my Toyota C-HR can be easily disabled:

When battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving radio waves.

Press [the unlock button] twice while pressing and holding [the lock button]. Confirm that the electronic key indicator flashes 4 times.

While the battery-saving mode is set, the smart entry & start system cannot be used.

To cancel the function, press any of the electronic key buttons.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - FP

My Mazda has the same system and I found that a steel box did not work.

After some research I bought a Defender pouch from Amazon* and it does work. The test is to take the pouch with the key inside right up to the car and try to operate the doors and/or tailgate. Neither is possible. I also sat in the car and there is no response to attempts to switch on and start.

I'm pretty confident that there isn't enough signal leakage to make a theft possible once the key is in the pouch and several metres away from the car behind the house walls

It's necessary to keep the car key in the pouch only overnight - I don't take the pouch out with me. (Except if I'm staying overnight somewhere.)

I totally agree the whole idea of (hackable) keyless entry is absurd. At least there should be an on-off switch on the key to disable it - such a simple thing to design into the product.

*Currently £6.99, free delivery.

Edited by FP on 26/08/2019 at 12:17

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Brit_in_Germany

As a radical long term solution, how about clearing the junk out of the garage and parking the car in it instead?

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - sammy1

Agree keyless entry is a joke and I think the EU should put pressure on the manufacturers.

The key in the ignition is much better. you know where it is and turn the engine off when parked.

With keyless where do you pot the fob, it's a pain in your pocket so do you put it on the dash or seat. Then you have another function a power button to start and stop the thing. Why not just turn the key. I once left my keyless car, was preoccupied, locked it and had forgotten to turn the thing off! Luckily I was not gone long but I bet I am not alone!

If you can track your Kids or dog with your phone, why not your car?

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Lee Power

My 308 has keyless entry, I use faraday pouches & they do really work.

Keyless fob in the closed pouch stood right next to the car & no response from either door handle, get inside the car put the keyless fob back in the closed pouch & no response from the starter button.

I keep a spare pouch in the boot in case I stay out overnight at a hotel etc.

Also with the stop / start system fitted, if the engine is currently stopped as soon as you open either front door the engine restarts again to remind you its running - a bit more smart then some other manufacturers stop / start systems.

You also cannot lock the car using the fob or keyless system if the ignition is switched on - again a lot smarter then some other manufacturers system.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Andrew-T

As a radical long term solution, how about clearing the junk out of the garage and parking the car in it instead?

Inspired thinking, but the car will need to be fairly small to fit inside a standard UK garage, especially if there is anything else there like a freezer, for example.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Heidfirst

I have been delaying buying a Toyota for over six months now waiting for this to be sorted. I was told the system could be turned off and reverted to manual key operation but when you see the key its a silly emergency use thing. Im getting fed up waiting and also not prepared to pay a few hundred quid to have new keys at a later date.

Somebody like Timpsons should be able to supply, code & cut a standard fob for much less than a T dealer would charge & much less than for a smart fob.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Smileyman

I do HATE the keyless initiative.

The SEAT I drive is supposed to have keyless locking / unlocking .... has never worked from new and I have never chased dealer to get it working. But, yesterday whilst at a boot fair (windows open doors shut) suddenly the car locked itself and when Mrs S extended her arm inside the car to get something the alarm activated!!! This left me scrambling for the keys to press a button to cancel the alarm. Problem solved by leaving a door open (turn off interior lights).

However on returning home, car parked on driveway, keys with me, unsold items being removed from car I realised with keyless any passing pedestrian could have jumped into the drivers seat and started the engine. I bet my insurers would have been thrilled!!! I think it's time to speak with dealer about options to improve security.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Miniman777

My faraday pouch works, tested next to the car. Because its a pre-March 2018 BMW, keys have been replaced at my cost with the new 'timed switch off' versions. Car has disklok and also BMWs own tracker via GSM SIM card/GPS in it, but if it goes, it goes. Hope the GAP insurance will cough if it did vanish.

Personally I find conventional keys fiddly, but something like the key for an R56 Mini is fine with push button start.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Steve Halso

Hi Firmbutfair.

A friend just had their Land Rover stolen using keyless car theft. I've come up with a possible solution that doesn't require Faraday devices. Wondering if you would be interested in discussing as you seem to know and the technical details?

Thanks

Steve

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Ethan Edwards

Does the range of your key fob extend back in time to when the article was posted? Two years ago?

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Engineer Andy

Hi Firmbutfair.

A friend just had their Land Rover stolen using keyless car theft. I've come up with a possible solution that doesn't require Faraday devices. Wondering if you would be interested in discussing as you seem to know and the technical details?

Thanks

Steve

Replying to a 2 yo thread with no actual information despite this being a discussion forum and no reason why not to post the 'solution' they've 'come up with'...

Hmmm. Why do I get the distinct whiff of canned pork products about to be posted next time?

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - alan1302

and no reason why not to post the 'solution' they've 'come up with'...

Wouldn't want to discuss it on an open forum if you planned to sell the idea.

Indeed, so you have to wonder why they brought it up at all, given a discussion with the OP privately could then be relayed to all and sundry. Seems fishy to me (or is that phishy?).

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - alan1302

Indeed, so you have to wonder why they brought it up at all, given a discussion with the OP privately could then be relayed to all and sundry. Seems fishy to me (or is that phishy?).

Seeing as they have not come back sine the posted I'd go with phishy!

Seeing as they have not come back sine the posted I'd go with phishy!

Either that or they realised their idea was straight out of the Baldrick Library of Cunning Plans...

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - Galad

A national radio presenter had his new Jaguar iPace stolen from outside his home recently and was oblivious to the need for a Faraday cage/pouch for his keys. He was able to recover the car himself despite the fact that the thieves had disabled the tracker and had to fork out £3k to have the tracker system replaced, plus £49 for a steering wheel lock! He mentioned that some insurers are now declining cover for high end cars with keyless entry as so many are targeted by thieves with scanners.

Dealers try hard to get punters to buy 'life shine' paint protection, tyre alloy insurance etc but no mention of a £6.50 Faraday pouch to keep their keys safe.

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - focussed

I note there is no mention of achieving RF screening by actually doing what should be done - by earthing the enclosure, box, tin or pouch doing the screening!

Any - Keyless Theft - Faraday Pouches - NOT GOOD ENOUGH - FP

"... earthing the enclosure, box, tin or pouch doing the screening"

I understand the point, but all I can say is that my pouch works without earthing. I can approach the car and it does not respond (i.e. the doors cannot be opened).

"... earthing the enclosure, box, tin or pouch doing the screening"

I understand the point, but all I can say is that my pouch works without earthing. I can approach the car and it does not respond (i.e. the doors cannot be opened).

I suspect the ones that don't work are cheap knock-offs. I still find it amazing at how these so-called 'smart' technologies (keyless entry) are so lauded but make the cars far easier to steal.

A twit on today's Letters Page of the DT was signalling the many virtues of 'smart' tech around the home, like smart utilitiy meters, mobile phones, heating system controls, etc, but conveniently forgot that a large number of these products, and many from well-known makes and that are range-toppers, have been shown time and again to be terrible at security protection, whether from stealing them or hacking them for nefarious purposes.

Whilst proper Faraday cages will block the signal of a keyless entry system, a properly-designed one would have overcome that security flaw. Convenient, yes, but smart they ain't.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 03/05/2021 at 18:10