Nissan Primera - Wheels turn when I drive over dip or hole in road - Warning

When I drive the car, and I happen to go over a man hole (the kind which dips down and not level with the road surface) or a dipped bump in the road or a pot hole, the wheels will turn to the left or right. I then have to pull steering back to the centre.

On my other car, I can't remember have to correct the steering back to the centre. The car will go straight over the road.

I have mentioned this to the mechanics, but they have n't found anything. I am not sure if they know what I am trying to tell them. It has passed the MOT too.

They told me the tracking was off, which I took to 4 wheel laser tracking alignment, but I don't think it has helped. I don't even know if they did the job correctly.

I bought the car, last year (it was a low mileage version), but I don't know if it has a hidden history or accident.

Nissan Primera - Wheels turn when I drive over dip or hole in road - gordonbennet

It does sound like the wheels are out of alignment, but there could be other reasons for this and it might not be the front wheels either.

You can learn a lot about what is happening if you get someone else to drive your car over undulating roads whilst you follow in another car and watch what happens, ie if the car is crabbing sideways it will become obvious as will worn shock absorbers or other undue suspension movements.

Nissan Primera - Wheels turn when I drive over dip or hole in road - Peter.N.

Could be affect by the type of tyres you have, are they very low profile?

Nissan Primera - Wheels turn when I drive over dip or hole in road - catsdad
I had a simliar issue a few years ago with a newish Saab 9-5. The main dealer "examined" it and couldn't find a problem. I persisted and they put it on the ramps and the rear shocks were clearly leaking. New shocks resolved the issue. So much for their earlier examination!

Of course it may not be the shocks in this case but its worth taking it to a good mechanic who doesn't just fob you off.