OldRoverBoy - high blood pressure - SteveLee

I have high blood pressure, an ectopic heartbeat, and no wish to end up like my nephew, who leaves 3 kids, the youngest is 11 years old. Council, Police and Landlord don't give a fig. (and in his case certainly didn't.) The perpetrator has pleaded not guilty m'lud.

Condolences for your tragic and needless loss, I had extremely high blood pressure for twenty years, stopped eating carbs and it normalised within three weeks along with my cholesterol, as a bonus my type 2 diabetes went into remission (now have normal blood sugar levels) – no medication involved. Only downside is I had to give up beer, luckily l like red wine. I generally eat fatty cuts of meat with leafy green veg cooked in salted butter – my health has never been better. All my bloods now look like a healthy 20 year old’s – nothing out of range or even close to being so – my doctor can hardly believe it - and I do zero exercise and even drive to work which is less than a mile away. Avoid all root veg, or anything made of grain or with sugar. I don't even eat fruit (other than avocados) as modern fruits are just selectively breed fructose bombs - all the vitamins and minerals you require are in green veg. Look up ketogetic diets - for the 50ish% of us who are actually over sensitive to carbs and have metabolic disorder - it will change your life. As I have zero blood sugar spikes I never feel hunger and therefore do not require breakfast or lunch - nor do I ever lack energy as the liver will maintain blood sugar exactly where it needs to be be by synthesising glucose.

OldRoverBoy - high blood pressure - oldroverboy.

a non motoring answer.

Yes, very tragic, needless too. a mother to 3 now dependeant on the state which failed to protect them.

For myself, for my sins, I am married to a Doctor, ok (maternity)... lost a bit of weight, cut out beer too, less red wine, and less fry ups..

Thank you for your kind words

OldRoverBoy - high blood pressure - Cumberbatchfan

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to just say that what Stevelee says is very true , as some of you will know I have fibromyalgia and when I first got diagnosed I read a lot about the paleo diet helping my condition and read from loads of people who had reversed there diabetes and lowers there cholesterol.

Before I started paleo my pain was really bad I could not get out of bed most days due to being so tired and was so stiff. Then after a month of being on paleo I felt like I was in a new body , I still was in pain but my condition had improved I was not tired anymore and had more energy. Diet really can turn you life around for the better.

OldRoverBoy - high blood pressure - concrete

A sad case indeed. Needless suffering and health problems. As some posts state a decent diet can be an effective curative for many common maladies. It is a surprise though that younger people, seem easily seduced by the marketing ploys of huge mutil national 'food' companies. These companies, on the whole make unhealthy foodstuffs, but it is down to the consumer if they buy it or not. Personally, crisps, coke, pringles etc etc are awful, but popular. No problem with a packet of crisps or a can of coke once or twice a week, but it has become part of the normal food intake for some. I recently had a nice full English breakfast while on holiday, a real treat. There was a family of 5 nearby and they all had a large coke with their breakfast. The parents are now setting a poor example and the poor children think it normal to have such a meal. Don;t even get me started on the non use of cutlery!!! Some seem to regard it as table decoration or jewelry!!

Cheers Concrete

OldRoverBoy - high blood pressure - Cumberbatchfan

Totally agree Concrete , at work there's this girl who works with me at the reception desk and she ten years younger than me ( I'm in my 30's , she's in her early 20's) and everyday she brings a 2litre bottle of coke with her and she always goes to McDonalds or the chippy for lunch and while she's sat drinking cola and a burger I'm sat there with a lovely clean chicken or fish salad full of goodness like avocado, spinach, collard greens, nuts ect. And I only drink water at work but she thinks it's ok to drink 2litres of cola a day theconly time I eat like that is at christmas I only drink cola at chruChris among other things , but I've seen a lot of what you say and one day she made me laugh as she saw me eating some blueberries in plain Greek yogurt and said "fruit is for boring people" I just ignored her but I had to laugh as idI never heard anything so stupid. I always tell myself at least illI have my health in my latter years ( fingers crossed) my boss has even told her it's not healthy but she said she doesn't care as it's not making her fat , I thought yet as your young.

OldRoverBoy - high blood pressure - Leif
I suspect the problem is that some people are brought up on junk food, and acquire a taste for it, as it provides instant gratification. Unfortunately food companies seem to get away with murder in their adverts. It’s not so surprising as sugar, fat and starch are cheap ingredients. The profit on coke must be enormous. We get free cans of pop at work. There are some Irn Bru cans. I tried one, it was vile. I can’t say I like coke either. Tap water chilled in the fridge does me.
OldRoverBoy - high blood pressure - John F

I had extremely high blood pressure for twenty years, stopped eating carbs and it normalised within three weeks along with my cholesterol,

I find this hard to believe. Drug treatment for 'extremely high BP', which would be, say, >170/110) is usually for life - unless you have had an extremely rare hormone secreting tumour removed or a renal artery stenosis repaired.

Only downside is I had to give up beer, luckily l like red wine.

Doesn't matter what form the alcohol is in - latest evidence suggests it doesn't do any good.

I do zero exercise and even drive to work which is less than a mile away.

Not good. Regular 'out -of-breath' type exercise is proven to be beneficial and good for the cardiovascular system, rather like the occasional 'Italian tune-up' is good for your car engiine.

Avoid all root veg,

Why? Vegetarians are at risk of running short of fat soluble vitamins ( A, D, E and K). Carrots are a good source of Vit A. (although they don't make you see better in the dark)

modern fruits are just selectively breed fructose bombs

Nonsense. All fruit and veg products we eat have been selectively bred for thousands of years. Most know that citrus fruits are good for Vit C.

all the vitamins and minerals you require are in green veg.

But not the essential amino acids. You need different types of non-green veg (pulses, legumes) to get these.

And a really important thing is BMI - as every life insurance company actuary knows, the obese die younger.