2007 MK4 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI QXBA - MK4 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Timing belt tensioner adjustme - guando

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing the timing belt on my 2007 MK4 Mondeo, 2.0 TDCI (QXBA engine) and have a question regarding the timing belt tensioner. I've read the instructions in the Haynes manual and the ones that came with the Gates timing belt kit. The tensioner has an arrow and a notch that are supposed to align to set the correct tension. I have followed the guides and adjusted it so that the arrow is in the centre of the notch, tightened to torque and then rotated the crank 4 times. When I rotate it the tensioner arrow moves about 1/2 inch past the notch adding tension. I tried adjusting it again but each time I set it in the centre of notch and then rotate the crank pulley it moves past the notch again.

I have tried setting it a bit looser and then when rotating the crank it moves into the centre of the notch and stays there. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct technique? Obviously being a timing belt I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks in advance.