Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - Johnwright123

HI,

I have had an accident with a pickup truck. Pickup truck was in fourth lane and hit my car while taking exit from fourth lane to first.

He was driving at 75-80mph and I couldn’t prove that he was driving fast. Highway authorities couldn’t provide the video clip of the incident eventhough I gave the exact time & place. They had cameras around that place.

I was reading some forum that he needs to have a hard top/Rigid top for the entire pickup truck to drive in the outside lane. Is it true?.

Whether there is any restriction to have speed limiter in his truck?

His pickup truck weighs more than 2040Kg and has four-wheel drive.

Insurance company is going for 50:50 ; I am not happy with that as this is not my fault.

Appreciate your help,

John

Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - gordonbennet

A double cab pick up with 4WD is classed as a dual purpose vehicle, and subject to car speed limits and restrictions.

As per Government rule, this model will be classified as a van as it weighs more than 2040kg

As per Government rule, this model will be classified as a van as it weighs more than 2040kg

Explained in simple terms here

www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q529.htm

Though i take the point about the unladen weight, i had no idea Ranger's tare weight was that high.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/12/2017 at 16:31

Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - Manatee

You are stuffed without a witness unless the admitted facts speak for themselves. What's his story?

Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - Ian_SW

They are subject to the same rules and speed limits as cars on the motorway, and would only have a speed limiter if the owner chose to have one fitted (my employer have 70mph limiters on all their vans and pickups) A car someone else estimates as doing about 75 to 80mph wouldn't be judged as speeding by police as without a speed gun or calibrated police Speedo it's within the margin of error of being at 70.

I don't understand from the description how the accident happened and what relevance the exit off lane 1 has - unless it was a very minor collision, the pickup isn't going to be able to continue right across after the accident and turn off the motorway, so there's no way of knowing if that was the Ranger drivers intention. Was the pickup cleanly overtaking the OP in light traffic and pull in much too soon (fairly unlikely for someone to do in my opinion), or were the cars in lanes 3 & 4 going much the same speed with the OP in the pickup's blindspot (which is quite large on a Ford Ranger!) for some time before the accident? This sounds more likely to me, and will be why the insurance says 50:50, as there's a possibility the OP will have driven into the blind spot from behind (i.e. by partially undertaking the pickup) in the lead-up to the accident as the speeds of both lanes varied.

My car has advanced feature where it will not allow me to drive into another lane when there is someone in blindspot. Even If I do it without any indicator, My car will drive me back into original track. I have to override any of those warnings if I need to move from Lane3 to Lane4.

We both stopped after the accident. As I understand from him that he is coming from North, 5 hours away from the incident and heading to airport. The particular exit is heading to the airport. My assumption is either he wants to take the exit or he slept. Sorry, I was not clear in the original post. It was my assumption that he heads to the airport.

Pickup was behind in lane 4 and he was either trying to overtake or taking the exit or slept. I dont know. But , he hit me while i was in lane3.

My car has advanced feature where it will not allow me to drive into another lane when there is someone in blindspot. Even If I do it without any indicator, My car will drive me back into original track. I have to override any of those warnings if I need to move from Lane3 to Lane4.

That's not an advanced feature it's a death trap, never heard anything like it.

I know these lane departure thingies make all sorts of fuss if you stray over a white line without indicating, they're a PITA, but had no idea the blind spot equipped versions physically prevent the vehicles from going where the driver points it.