BMW i3 - Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW - mbkb2017

In October 2016, my partner and I purchased a new BMWi3, without the range extender. We understand we were one of the first buyers of this updated i3 in the U.K.

Since then, in January 2017 (my partner driving) and again in April 2017 (when I was driving) we have had two accidents, both caused by a sudden unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge.

We are interested to know whether any other i3 owners have experienced a similar event and what the outcomes were.

BMW i3 - Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW - galileo

Honest John advises learning to left-foot brake when driving automatics to retain full control.

I would imagine this advice also applies to hybrid/electric vehicles.

BMW i3 - Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW - Engineer Andy

One thing to always be careful of when using electric-powered vehicles is that electric motors, for the same power input, usually produce significantly more torque than petrol or diesel engines (see Teslas for examples of how quick they are off the mark). It could be for hybrids and range extenders that the changeover from petrol/both to fully electric isn't smooth enough or that the controls software/hardware is acting up when reacting to throttle pedal position, rate of change and overall speed. That's just a guess mind you, given (I presume) they are all drive-by-wire systems.

When were the accidents - at low speed whilst parking/maneuvering or in a queue of traffic, when an auto gear box car control might be the cause (as galileo says, left foot braking as recommended by HJ himself would be the answer) , or general driving, when a controls system fault as I described above might be the cause.

BMW i3 - Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW - Manatee

I bet BMW deny this is possible, by implication saying that it is "user error".

I wonder if the car logs the throttle and brake pedal positions? Both are probably drive by wire on this car.

Anecdotally, automatic car runaways mostly involve the elderly - which does perhaps support the theory that user error is often to blame, although the drivers mostly seem to believe it was a car malfunction.

I'm not implying anything about this particular case of course. It is credible that a DBW system could malfunction either due to a bug, or signal interference.

BMW i3 - Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW - RichT54

I had a 2001 BMW 316ti Compact which developed a fault in the drive-by-wire throttle. In my case it caused a slight hestitation in changing speed. The accelerator pedal unit was replaced under warranty and it was fine after that.

BMW i3 - Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW - craig-pd130

What were the EXACT circumstances in which the accidents happened? Were they during low-speed manoeuvering (e.g. in a car park), or while driving on open roads?

Some i3 owners have reported an occasional issue with the regenerative braking, which happens when the driver lifts off the throttle. Sometimes, if the driver is off the throttle when taking a corner quickly, or if the car goes over a big bump / pothole while off the throttle, the i3's wheel sensors (used by the traction control & stability systems) will temporarily disable regenerative braking and the car will switch to 'coast' mode.

So the car will suddenly no longer be braking in regenerative mode, and will feel like it is speeding forwards. This 'unintended lack of deceleration' has nearly caught some drivers out.

BMW i3 - Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW - Engineer Andy

What were the EXACT circumstances in which the accidents happened? Were they during low-speed manoeuvering (e.g. in a car park), or while driving on open roads?

Some i3 owners have reported an occasional issue with the regenerative braking, which happens when the driver lifts off the throttle. Sometimes, if the driver is off the throttle when taking a corner quickly, or if the car goes over a big bump / pothole while off the throttle, the i3's wheel sensors (used by the traction control & stability systems) will temporarily disable regenerative braking and the car will switch to 'coast' mode.

So the car will suddenly no longer be braking in regenerative mode, and will feel like it is speeding forwards. This 'unintended lack of deceleration' has nearly caught some drivers out.

Sounds like the needed to have done some more development and testing work before bringing it to market if that was the case. In my view, too many cars these days, especially since the mid 2000s, have got rushed out in order to 'beat' the competition to market or with some new whiz-bang feature. Its almost as though owners are now the 'beta-testers', especially on the electronics/ICE systems.