BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - Michael Lloyd

Hi, basically i have recently swapped my car with someone else, now the deal was a straight forward swap with me giving the other person 250 pounds cash ontop which i have done. Now my bank confirms the transfer has gone through to the correct account and everything however the person in question is saying they have not received it and is demanding another 250 pounds or he is sending off the logbook as the vehicle i swapped for being scrapped. Now theres no way im paying another 250 pounds to him, so my question is if he sends his log book off as the vehicle being scrapped, what are my optioms? Is there anything i can do or tell the DVLA?

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - focussed

Instruct the other person to prove by way of copies of bank documents of the account that you sent the money to that they have not received the £250 pounds in dispute - or you will go to the police with a complaint.

I have done everything i can to prove to him, even recorded the conversation with the bank and sent it? And can the police really do anything as there is nothing in writing stateing any sort of aggreement? And if he did declare the car as scrapped, what is the procedure of getting it back on the road legally?

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - TheBroker
Did they provide you with the green slip?

If so just send it off and also contact dvla relaying the issues. Also did you get a receipt?
BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - Galaxy

Assuming you have no part of the V5/C at all you could apply to the DVLA for a Registration Document for the car. This will cost you £25.00 and there's a form to fill-in.

Problem might come in that they will write to the previous registered keeper and ask whether he has any objection to the new V5/C being issued. If he says it's OK or does not reply within two weeks they will issue the new V5/C anyway. However, if he objects, there could be problems.

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - Big John

I'd triple check the bank account details at the bank - It's easy to get sort code or account code wrong

For £250 why didn't you use cash?

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - Topdude

Did you realy swap cars, send the other party £250, not take the apropriate part of the V5c and not insist on a reciept ???

Sounds like you are victim to a scam to me !!!

Ive double checked the bank details on several occasions with him and the bank and they are 100% correct, so theres no way he wouldnt have received it, secondly the reson we kept out own log books to send off was for security of not getting speeding tickets on the way back home as we met half way and swapped, but what im asking is if he sends it off as the car being scrapped, what are my options?

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - RobJP

Your only option is to send him proof that the payment has been made (printout from bank transfer), and to tell him that if he does carry out his threat, then you will involve the police in his attempt to defraud and blackmail you.

You've been a bit foolish. The V5 quite clearly says that the new keeper is responsible for sending off the form - them keeping the form was wrong, and it could have all been safeguarded by a simple act of taking pictures with a phone of the car handover, which would then be date and time stamped as proof.

I'm a bit mystified on something else : as you may know, car tax does NOT transfer to a new keeper. So your car is not taxed. So you need to get a new V5 and tax it BEFORE you can use it on the road.

Get this form :

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac...f

fill it in, and send it off TODAY. You will then have to wait until the new V5 arrives until you can tax and use your car. That may take 4-6 weeks, or it may only take a week.

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - alpha_india

Google "car swap scam" and see if anything seems familiar, it certainly sounds like there's a risk it's a variation on the theme.

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - Fishermans Bend

When I had a car scrapped I seem to remember the scrapyard had to fill in an official form to let the DVLA know. Therefore I doubt they will take any notice of the guy you swapped with, without offical confirmation scrappage has taken place.

Sounds like he is trying to blackmail you. Suggest you get advice from the police or a solicitor.

Yes, a Certificate of Destruction from an approved end of life vehicle facility _should_ be needed to record a vehicle as scrapped.

BMW 3 Series E46 - Car sale gone bad - RobJP

Google "car swap scam" and see if anything seems familiar, it certainly sounds like there's a risk it's a variation on the theme.

If it's a scam, it's a damned stupid one. Bank account details, beautifully traceable.

If it's a scam, it's a damned stupid one. Bank account details, beautifully traceable.

Only if the bank details are genuine. It sounds like the other party has already got the OP's vehicle. Using an innocent bank account makes the mark feel more secure ("traceable, innit?"). Having got the vehicle phase 2 is taking the **ss and kicking up a fuss trying for £250 cash in hand.

If the car it's been swapped for is something highly desireable in the overseas parts market I'd definitely be inclined to think this is a scam. But a scam would hinge on the BMW being financed or stolen - something that can be checked.