Audi A1 Sportback - Stop/start - barryb

I feel that Stop/start is a safety hazard in my A1 Sportback S-tronic. There can be a significant delay, foot of the brake, nudge accelerator and then wait for the engine to start. I have tried to get into the habit of turning this feature off when I first get into the car but I would rather not have to.

I understand that Stop/start can be disabled in the cars computer system. Are there any consequences of having this done?

Audi A1 Sportback - Stop/start - gordonbennet

The only consequnce i can think of is that it wouldn't get on your nerves any more, however its entirely possible that in a few years as the emissions crew gain further control that foot patrols will be goose-stepping alongside traffic in cities and issuing fines to anyone with an engine running while stationary, so if you get it altered make sure its easily reversible.

Oh and whilst there see if they can disable door open auto parking brake, don't know how you reverse in tight places, but i had to reverse a company A3 (and yes the SS, appropriate abbreviation, got on my wick too) up to some narrow posts which the reversing sensors wouldn't probably pick up...so as i've done for the last 40 years opened the door a fraction to see clearly behind...which immediatey applied the parking brake, brilliant...very glad to get out of the heap and back into something normal.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/04/2016 at 12:15

Audi A1 Sportback - Stop/start - slkfanboy

Well i can't see an issue other than maybe burning 1litre of pertrol for every 10hours stationary approx.

Audi A1 Sportback - Stop/start - RobJP

Oh and whilst there see if they can disable door open auto parking brake, don't know how you reverse in tight places, but i had to reverse a company A3 (and yes the SS, appropriate abbreviation, got on my wick too) up to some narrow posts which the reversing sensors wouldn't probably pick up...so as i've done for the last 40 years opened the door a fraction to see clearly behind...which immediatey applied the parking brake, brilliant...very glad to get out of the heap and back into something normal.

I honestly think Darwinism is under-rated.

I know WHY they've put that 'feature' on the car. I can see the reasoning behind it.

I just think that, sometimes, they should step back and say "If someone's THAT stupid, then they're doing the rest of the world a favour if they get run over by their own car "

Really? i've been doing that for 40 years in lorries, haven't fallen out yet, and if you really want to know why i do it that way i can give specific reasons and advantages.

Audi A1 Sportback - Stop/start - RobJP

Gordon, if that's in reply to my post, then you may have mis-understood me, or I may have mis-spoken, or explained it poorly.

I also reverse similarly. Have done for years. A 110 landrover with a 12 foot Ivor Wms trailer (with a fair bit of weight on the trailer), whilst not as long or as awkward as an artic, is still quite long, and the LRs have terrible visibility out the back / sides, and some of the most useless mirrors ever designed.

Ah yes Rob i did mis-understand you, don't need to explain to you the why's and wherefore's, you'd have needed the door open anyway to open or close the window on a Defender..:-) plus the turning circle of a battleship on the 110.

Having done this for 40 years, the only place that's ever kicked up was at an RDC at Skem (electrical retailer now history), jobsworth came running out to protest the way i was reversing, i pointed out that if he looked at the back of most (all) of the double decker trailers he would see they had been rammed repeatedly and hard into the loading banks, so many times indeed that the back ends were flared out and if anyone had ever wondered why this might be happening...exacerbated by the automated manual boxes in their Daf's with on/off switch clutch operation....no it didn't compute, it never does with that type.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/04/2016 at 15:40

Audi A1 Sportback - Stop/start - Engineer Andy

The only consequnce i can think of is that it wouldn't get on your nerves any more, however its entirely possible that in a few years as the emissions crew gain further control that foot patrols will be goose-stepping alongside traffic in cities and issuing fines to anyone with an engine running while stationary, so if you get it altered make sure its easily reversible.

The modern equivalent of a man walking in front of your car with a red flag? It would be interesting to follow these bozos one day to see how many laws/local council bylaws/rules etc they break, vgien I know of many jobsworths in the public sector/environmental lobby who are also arch hypocrites at the best of times.

Audi A1 Sportback - Stop/start - jc2

Whilst not a lorry driver by trade,I did hold a Class 1;the longer the trailer,the easier it is to reverse;things happen much more slowly when the trailer wheels are right at the back.