Toyota Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - iRadiate

My wife is in the market for a new car. She's looked at a VW Golf, a Volvo V40 and today she test drove an Auris from Listers in Nuneaton.

The sales guy who shall remain nameless for now was polite to start off with, and my wife had a drive for about 15 minutes or so. On returning to the dealership we talked about a part exchange and got a quote for her car.

The sales guy gave us the usual spiel about how fast the cars are going which we took with a pinch of salt and we said we'd be in touch but that we expect to maek a decision before the end of this month and most likely by this time next week.

Now my wife is genuinely interested in the car however when the sales guy realised he wasn't going to make a sale TODAY he walked off. No good by, no thank you for visiting the garage, no nice to have met you. Nothing. Just walked right off.

We found that rather rude. We're about to spend £17k. That may be peanuts to the dealer but it's a shed load of money for us. We're not about to spend that kind of money without walking away and having a chat about it in our own time. Surely these sales people should be able to understand that simple concept.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Avant on 09/01/2016 at 23:56

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - bathtub tom

Try a car broker?

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - Cluedo
My experience is that this is very unusual for a Toyota dealer and it sounds to me like the bloke was having a bad day or even month trying to achieve his targets.
I think if you had a word with the sales manager he would soon put this right.
It would be a shame if he made your mind up for you especially as the warranty is better on a Toyota than a VW and once you purchased the car then you will have a much better experience with a Toyota dealer than a VW dealer (again talking from experience).
Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - oldroverboy.

No surprise, Friend had terrible problems buying a car from Listers a couple of months back £17,000 ish Used car with2 years warranty left and only after speaking to the dealer principal and manufacturer were his problems dealt with. As it is a manufacturer warranty they will get the car for that but servicing will be carried out elsewhere in the franchised network.

But sadly that is a car saleman nowadays!

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - RicardoB

I can't comment on this particular company or indeed Toyota and its dealers, but the problem is that sales staff are under a lot of pressure to get the deals or be shown the door themselves.

This will be especially true of national/big chain/name dealer groups.

There is no excuse for the apparant abruptness and rudeness, but sometimes, well, we all have our moments of frustration/stress etc, especially when dealing with other people (if that makes sense)

Sales staff tend also to get a relatively low basic salary, work long antisocial hours and rely on sales commission to make ends meet, as well as trying to hold onto the job in the first place.

A few months ago, my car was in for a service/MoT and I was loaned a car from the dealer. The car I borrowed was being used by a new member of the dealer's sales team and he had, either by accident or without thinking, left his "sales training folder" on the floor. The chap was obviously young and new.

Naturally my curiosity got the better of me, because for many years, I worked in retail (not cars) so I had a flick through the folder, which was full of the usual corporate "customer values" nonsense and how to deal with all sorts of objections to doing a deal on the day or whatever.

Nowhere was there any mention of the sales team being expected to really know about the fine details/specs of the product (car) but simply was being programmed to sell the car (and add ons) as swiftly and quickly as possible. (Which is why many of we types who read HJ etc really probably know a lot more about particular cars than the dealers/sales staff do)

Probably not surprising, but it did sadden me a bit that it was like this. It was very similar to things I would have been told and read in the 1980s in that sort of position.

I think that customers are more switched on/demanding of being treated with patience and respect more than ever nowadays, and really, too much of the hard sell/pschology side of doing a deal, will have a negative effect on sales.

Crikey, sorry, gone on a bit here!

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - skidpan

We have looked at Toyotas twice in the past 8 years (not at Listers) and our experience was very poor.

One garage insisted the wife looked at a car she did not want and refused to show her the one ouside the door she was interested in.

We booked a test drive at one garage in a diesel and when we got there the sales person was unavailable and his replacement presented us with a petrol.

The third garage told us they had sold all the demonstators and none wouild be available for a month. Blatant lie when they had a forecourt full of cars.

In both cases we had money to spend and spent it elsewhere.

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - Engineer Andy

No problem - sage words indeed!

Decent sales people at car showrooms are not exactly ten a penny these days, so when you do come across one it can be quite surprising. I've also come across a few, even those employed in dealerships for Japanese makes, that are not very good. The best one, good in all respects, was at a Honda dealership in St. Albans (when I was looking for a car 10 years ago) - just a shame the cars on offer weren't quite what I wanted.

I wonder if any sales people in the motor industry are actually employed on a proper salary (if they ever were), given proper training in both sales and client handling and in detail about the cars they're selling. I'd personally rather buy from a make (as long as the car ticked all the right boxes) that made the dealership experience far better and made honest and worthwhile suggestions (even including about alternatives from competitors - that shows a certain confidence).

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - gordonbennet

Not the same dealer network, and i can't comment on the sales side presently, but since our superb and almost priceless local family owned Toyota dealer was taken over by a group their slightly overzealous service sales techniques, especially the bombardment of texts on both phones since they did a (very good and fair priced) cambelt replacement job on my Landcruiser, was really too much and we are most reluctant to go back and submit ourselves to more of the same.

The same group dealer 60 miles away tried to charge approx £700 for a new clutch on daughters Aygo, which was done with LUK parts at my local indy for £280, and whilst this might have been a standard price they have lost another customer in her too.

I trust in Toyota's products (even if they and Lexus regularly batter their new models with the ugly stick) and am impressed by the way the maker stands by their product, maybe their troubleshooters at Surrey head office need to get out more?

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/01/2016 at 21:40

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - Falkirk Bairn

Youngest son was looking to Px a Golf Gti (3 years old) for another Gti. (4th Golf in a row)

Looked 2 months back but he felt they were too dear so left it.

Phone rings early Dec £2K off list price - was this the deal? Tripped into the showroom at a lunchtime - Guess what £2k off the car and £2K off the T/I.

Aberdeen garages are struggling as the oil money is no more......he argues the toss for 2 minutes (Your T/I has fallen in value!!)

He may well buy the car in Febuary BUT it will not me from that dealer Broker + WBAC might get the deals.

Toyote Auris - Is this normal for a Dealer - galileo

We have bought two new Corollas and two used Yaris' (cash each time) from our local Toyota dealer, sales people always courteous, fair p/ex prices, no pressure for finance, Gap insurance or other extras.

When I p/xed the last Corolla for an i30 at the Hyundai dealer the deal was also done in a very professional way, cost to change was just what I asked for, I'd recommend them too as a good outfit to deal with.

Couldn't say the same for a national chain that sold my lady neighbour a used car, including two years free servicing, stuck her with an extra £300 for discs and pads when it went for the first service 3000 miles later.

(I went with her to see the Service Manager, who refunded £246 without too much resistance when I put the case to him)