POlice Car Ramming - julie page

Has any one watched Traffic Cops on BBC this week?

One of the Police officers allowed himself to be rammed five times, car was damaged and he lost the van he was persuing.

Bizzare driving?

Also did anyone watch the series on rookie cops in Norfolk (I think), end of probation they were given keys to police cars and allowed to drive on lights and siren. Do they not have to be on the force five years or so then pass tests?

Edited by julie page on 29/10/2015 at 23:00

POlice Car Ramming - RT

CPSOs can drive police cars on lights, but not sirens - officers straight out of probation can use both.

The training is necessary before they're authorised to drive "pursuit" cars.

POlice Car Ramming - piggy

What struck me (no pun intended) is that the police driver made no attempt to follow the scrote`s van thereby preventing him have a run of speed. Had he stopped within inches of the van`s bumper the impact speed would have been much lower. Also,why do police cars not have strengthening to their front to minimise damage from this sort of attack? I can see this technique being copied by others after this programme.

POlice Car Ramming - RobJP

Sadly, the words 'Risk assessment'. If he'd kept closer to the vehicle and actually hit it himself (if the adorable little tyke driving it had jammed on the brakes, for example), then the officer would have caused the accident, and could probably be sued for whiplash injuries.

POlice Car Ramming - slkfanboy

Seem to me that this type of police activity should be banned. There is no need to chase these drivers. They alreadyknow where the are going or should so, so wait for them to have their fun and get bored. Wait for them outside their house and arrest them once they are home.

POlice Car Ramming - bathtub tom

Seem to me that this type of police activity should be banned. There is no need to chase these drivers. They alreadyknow where the are going

Please tell me how the police would know that?

POlice Car Ramming - galileo

Seem to me that this type of police activity should be banned. There is no need to chase these drivers. They alreadyknow where the are going

Please tell me how the police would know that?

Exactly. Most of these scrotes have no licence, no insurance, the vehicle is often stolen, the driver may have "no fixed address" anyway.

As far as the earlier suggestion of police cars having reinforced bumpers/nudge bars, as they do in the USA, they are probably banned because "they might hurt pedestrians".

Even when caught, its usually a suspended sentence or so many hours unpaid work, maybe a disqualification (as if that does any good).

I despair of this country, the justice system is a mockery. (instance from local paper: convicted of theft - 50 hours community service, exceeding speed limit, fined £350 + 6 points (putting up insurance, probably by as much).

POlice Car Ramming - gordonbennet

Ask the fast trackers running (ruining) the police with ample help from pc busybodies at the public teat and the usual mix of politicians, for the reasons why.

If you could persuade a real copper to tell it really how it is now (he won't cos it'll be his job and pension up the creek if it gets out), how the job has joined the race to bottom, as has so much of this country, how they spend most of the day covering their backsides via reports so they don't get into trouble or end up in the nick themselves for doing their jobs as they'd like to, you'd probably end up as disillusioned as they are.

I hear the truth regularly among my cronies, we often compare notes to see who has the most gaffers apparatchiks and admin operating each miner actually doing some graft at the coal face.

Wouldn't it be idylic to go back to the days of a pair of hulking great coppers, with real policemans helmets perched atop strolling the beat again, sorting the usual riff raff out by using their many years of coppers nose common sense, flicking the ear when it will do and seriously nicking those who deserve it, a place where the general public felt safe and only the criminals feared them (yes i know that's wishful thinking), one could almost call such a country Jerusalem.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/10/2015 at 16:24

POlice Car Ramming - Bolt

Wouldn't it be idylic to go back to the days of a pair of hulking great coppers, with real policemans helmets perched atop strolling the beat again, sorting the usual riff raff out by using their many years of coppers nose common sense, flicking the ear when it will do and seriously nicking those who deserve it

Blimey those were the good old days, but going downhill rather rapidly I think, with the new cuts as well it aint going to get better!

POlice Car Ramming - galileo

GB and Bolt, absolutely agree, I'm old enough to remember those days, I don't think we look back through rose tinted spectacles but it is hard to convince the younger generation that the country seemed a better place years ago.

Sometimes my adult kids accuse me of turning into my Dad, when I talk about the 'good old days' (maybe they have a point!)

POlice Car Ramming - Bolt

I dont think it will be long before remote controls are fitted to cars, some say it will be years yet, but I am not so sure, with police budget cuts and thefts on the increase( I really dont believe thefts are down)

Just unreported as certain other crimes are now, I suspect insurance companies may press car manufacturers to have these fitted as standard.

So instead of a car chase (or not) they pick up a code for the ecu of that motor and control it remotely....I may be a bit behind on this as I know the USA were talking about this system last year?

POlice Car Ramming - Old Codger

Talking about 'the old days', I'm getting on now but remember them clearly. I lived in a North East working class area where coppers did patrol the streets. I was about 7 year old and indulging in a bit of 'Nockey Nine Doors' whereby as kids we knocked on doors and scooted away. Being naive and daft I knocked on the back door to the yard of a terraced house. Of course no-one could hear me in the house as the yard intervened.

Please with myself I reached the last house in the street and turned to run away and around the corner ran into a copper!! In those days most men worked and the streets were full of women shopping, all knew the family. "Walk with me" he said. We walked ever so slowly for some time before reaching his 'Tardis' box where he proceeded to fill in his 'occurances' book. I couldn't see it as I was too small. After an age he pushed open the door and shoved me out, I ran home like as if the Devil was afer me. What had happened to me had reached home and it was a question of "Wait till your Dad comes back"

I've never forgotten that event and have never been in any trouble with Plod in nearly 80 years.

PS: My father resigned from the Met police before the war because he wouldn't join in the corruption.