Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - injection doc

Couple of months ago spent a fortune buying high spec computer from John Lewis.

unfortunatley it was causing nothing but problems from day 1.

Wouldnt switch on without switching on and off in quick sucession

Im controller was failing to start

PC kept then turning its self on on its own during the night.

Customer service was poor, had to wait on average 18 mins each time to get through. Tech guys would suggest a fix but wouldnt wait for it to see if it worked and when it didnt had to wait all over again to get back through.

After numerous calls over several weeks ( as i work away all week so could only sort at weekends ) I was getting seriously frustrated. Then they suggested a download fix, took me to the download but couldnt advise me what to do once opened and suggested ring the computer manufactuer !It was not a straight forward download or fix.

sadly the weekend I was trying to resolve it the website for the manufacturer was offline as it was being upgraded so yet another weekend lost.

Sent numerous help requests to lenovo but never got support

After 3 months of putting up with a non functioning PC I asked for a refund AND GOT THROWN A 28 DAY RETURN POLICY only into the bargin.

TBH was bounced around between John Lewis and Lenovo big time by each party and John Lewis tech team suggested i contact JL customer service for a refund. When i contacted John Lewis customer service for a refund they suggested i contacted the tech team AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Dont buy from John Lewis ! Last time I do.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Chris M

I'm really surprised that JL customer service was anything other than excellent as that has been my experience on a number of occasions. I wonder whether they have outsoursed the computer tech support?

I'd write to them saying how disappointed you are for a company which is known for its' excellent customer service and that you have a PC which doesn't work properly and they have been unable to fix it despite numerous attempts.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - daveyjp
A strongly worded, but level headed letter saying you aren't happy what are they going to do about it.

If you know what you want in a PC the cost effective way is to spec your own and either build it yourself, or pay a component supplier to build it for you.
Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Bromptonaut

Here's some basic advice on consumer rights from CAB:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/common-problems.../

(I'm using the English pages - if in Scotland/Wales/NI check the local pages but on the whole Consumer Law is UK wide.

Obviously, the 28 day return policy relates to you changing your mind, not to goods that seem to be faulty out of the box.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/09/2015 at 09:07

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - gordonbennet

SWMBO had a similar problem with JL but for a much cheaper item, sent customer services a strongly worded email...received an apology and replacement item within days.

They may not get the best publicity but the very best customer service of recent times online has been Amazon, and long may it continue.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - concrete

Just had a recent skirmish with Sky. Could not get the problem sorted at all, even after numerous telephone calls. Went online and eventually found the e mail address of the director in charge of customer service.

Then wrote a letter explaining my frustration and the lack of competancy at Sky administration. Posted the letter to their offices and also e mailed with the letter attached, to the director. Result.

A few days later an official letter apologising and stating the problem is solved. So far no re-occurance. I sometimes pays to go to the top.

Very surprised at JL though. Have dealt with them for years and found them good to deal with. My guess is they outsource the IT stuff, but it still remains THEIR responsibilty to rectify your problem.Find the top person.

Best of luck and let us know the outcome.

Cheers Concrete

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - thecloser

Very unusual in my experience for bad customer relations from John Lewis. I've bought a lot of stuff from JL over the years (largely because of their good record in this direction) and on the odd occasion that things have gone wrong they have been absolutely first class – either an immediate and unquestioned refund or a replacement item.

28 Day reTurns policy makes interesting reading.
I suspect that like every company now poor staff training May of given me misleading information.
I have bought many items in the past from JL but no longer. Totally frustrated and disappointed in their customer service now.
I also think I was too patient with trying to resolve the issue and should of kicked off strait away.

I lost count of how many times I called them and they had all the calls logged and they did admit it had been a long ongoing saga.

Interestingly my parents noticed in the financial times a few days ago someone else was also having the same poor experience with JL over a computer and not getting it resolved and being referred to the manufacturer and not getting any assistance.

My local computer shop could supply me with equivalent spec PC and install and set it all up including 5 years support for just £100.00 more. I should of used them.
Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Wackyracer

I had a similar experience with Ebuyer about a year or so ago. They refered me to Zoostorm who was most rude and said "tough your outside the 28day returns policy and there is nothing you can do".

The retailer is almost always responsible for faulty goods upto 12months from purchase so I went back to Ebuyer and gave them the facts and got refunded pretty quickly.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - scot22

Your contract is with John Lewis who sold you the computer. They are responsible to ensure you receive what you paid for.

I had a problem with Aldi and a television. They tried to fob me off with contact manufacturer. Polite and firm No . They gave full refund which is what I was entitled to, not a favour.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Engineer Andy

As far as customer service (in-shop only [my only experience]) with JL, mine has always been very good, and have noticed several times that they (without quibbling) offer an alternative product (often higher spec) or a full refund if a faulty product is returned.

Recently I have begun to look for a replacement for my old (and now on-the-blink) Humax freeview PVR, and have found that JL are far better on both answering my technical queries about potential replacements (possibly a Samsung or Panasonic PVR/Blu-Ray combi) and helping customers with problems - I have had better luck getting the correct info out of them than the manufacturers themselves. Customer service agents seem to quickly respond to customer complaints on their product reviews, again, offering refunds/alternative products.

As regards buying a PC, it still seems to be quite a lottery across the board these days - my own experience with a fault with my custom-built PC from Computer Planet (3.5 yo at the time, well out of warranty except [fortunately for me] the memory modules [which were diagnosed as faulty and relaced FOC] and the PSU which had lifetime and 7 year warranties respectively). They charged me £40 for diagnosis/repair [including a complete reformat of the 2 HDDs and reinstall of all the software, part of the diagnostics proceedures], cost of the replacement packaging [sent to me] and all postage [courier]. All very polite after the initial over-the phone checks to see if the problem could be diagnosed with it being sent back.

Effectively I only paid for the packaging and transportation. All dealings very polite, PC now working fine again. I could've taken it to a local independent (and not the best, by some accounts) PC shop for a diagnostic/repair, which probably would've cost at least the same and might not have got the same good final outcome (I was expecting at one point to have to replace the motherboard, processor [one of the major suspects at the time] and possibly memory modules at a cost of £200 plus the cost of the diagnostic/repair), so £40 all-in was good in my view. Other than this problem, the PC has been [touch wood] fault-free before and since. Note that my own [basic] diagnostics indicated that the memory modules were OK - just goes to show you do need proper expertise to ensure your get it right.

I've had pre-built name-brand PCs before, my original Dell (slow, not bad for the time [nice monitor], but little upgrading potential [I had no PC knowledge as this was my first PC at college in the mid-90s]), a MESH-built PC (excellent PC until the HDD failed after 6 good years of service [this was before they had customer service/quality issues in the mid-2000s]), and an HP (bought via MISCO) cheap PC bought in 2006 (v. poor and needing upgrading within 1 year, unreliable).

I will never go back to buying brand-name PCs - they are, in my view, too much about the marketing and not enough about using good quality, reliable components that work well together for a long time. Even though my current PC is probably about 30% more expensive than a pre-built name one, I have as yet (apart from that one issue) to notice any appreciable drop in performance or component issues, requiring costly upgrades and reagular intervals as I did with the Dell and HP ones (only an extra HDD for the MESH PC to extend its life for extra storage). As such, I will (assuming it lasts at least as long as the others, hopefully longer) probably end paying significantly less over its ownership than the other brand-PCs. I suppose the main thing you get for buying a 'brand name' (like Lenovo, HP or Dell) is the much higher certainty that they will be around in a few years to assist you if required (small independents are more prone to going out-of-business). Still...

I agree that a firm, but polite letter or email explaining the situation should do the trick, and hopefully be a wake-up call to JL's PC customer service dept. If going to customer services doesn't work, write to Andy Streets himself (send via recorded delivery to ensure HE gets it) to ensure an acceptable result, as if not, mention he'll be appearing on BBC's 'Watchdog' (one of the few things the Beeb does well). MDs hate bad publicity, especially when they are getting it in the neck on prime-time TV.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Plinky

I really recommend using Twitter to send short but to the point messages if you are getting nowhere on the phone/email. The good thing about Twitter (probably the only good thing) is that the company you are Tweeting can't delete your Tweet and can't claim that they didn't receive it. JL currently have 259k followers....that's 259k people that may avoid buying laptops from JL in the future. I've had long-standing issues resolved within 20mins of posting a Tweet!

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Leif
The PC should not turn itself on but if in sleep mode it may turn on in order to install an update. This is a feature that annoys me greatly. I believe it can be disabled in the control panel.

Leif

Yeah the PC turning it's self on was not relating too updates. It always turned itself back on 20 mins after being completely shut down.

The PC was a nightmare to switch on which was relating to a download fix for the bios which is where jL got stuck! They found the download but to run it was not straight forward and handed it over too lenovo but they were never getting back to me.

The IM controller was failing to start with error 10 and they couldnt fix that iether so I couldn't run my cctv through my PC and they couldnt fix that iether!

The whole escapade was a joke from start to finish for such a high spec PC quad core i7 3.4 hz proccessor and 2tb HD with 12g mem. Loads of additional features.

Won't buy from JL again. Customer service appalling.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Avant

Even better - don't buy Lenovo again. I've heard much worse things about Lenovo than about John Lewis, with whom you were clearly unlucky.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Leif

I have a Lenovo laptop at work. The wifi does not work, so I have to use an internet cable instead. Apparently this feature is common to the model.

Years ago I had a Dell PC that would reboot every 9 hours or so. I never suffered unless doing overtime.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - galileo

I have a Lenovo laptop at work. The wifi does not work, so I have to use an internet cable instead. Apparently this feature is common to the model.

When I got my Lenovo laptop it initially wouldn't connect to my home WiFi; daughter's boyfriend (who did a degree in computing) changed the WiFi channel which solved the problem.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - alan1302

I am sitting here reading this on a Lenovo ThinkPad that works perfectly had a Lenovo Flex2 and Yoga 2 and never had ny problems with them.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - concrete

Just been to John Lewis to return our multi handset telephone system due to a fault. No problem at all. We chose another system, Panasonic this time, and simply paid the small difference in price. Couldn't have been easier or quicker. We have always been fans of JL for just this reason. I expect the OP has been really unlucky and should persist.

Cheers Concrete

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - focussed

I have the mother of all faulty computer tales to tell.

In November 2014 we bought a high-spec 17" screen Dell laptop from Amazon UK-it came from one of their third party suppliers, delivered to France - no problem, we didn't buy a french computer because their keyboards are AZERTY not QWERTY and the Windows 8 would be the french version - (imagine that- windows 8 in french!-shudders!)

All was well for a few weeks and then started to throw up error messages "driver state power failure" and "memory failure blah blah failure" and then it would shut down and reboot/update constantly.

So to cut a long story short called Dell technical and ended up with a long drawn out saga from feb 2015 to august 2015 of hours on the phone with tech experts telling us what to do, numerous downloads, updates, remote operatation, reloading software, two visits from Dell engineers, two new motherboards fitted, new memory boards, new card reader, more loading of new software etc. The last engineer turned up with a complete new chassis frame in the parts kit as well, looked at it and shook his head!

During one of the contacts with Dell they happened to mention that the computer was a refurbished machine going by serial no etc.

We had no reason to suspect it was a refurb - perfect exterior condition original packaging etc-but, we had bought it as a new one according to our Amazon invoice.

So complained to Amazon that we had been sold a refurb as a new one.

We emailed them on a Sunday with proof from Dell -by the Tuesday we had received a full refund courtesy of their fraud investigation team and they didn't want the thing back - not economic etc.

Meanwhile Dell technical were still beavering away and it seemed as if they had finally cracked it - it now works (typing this with fingers crossed)

So I have no hesitation in singing the praises of Amazon UK + Dell for despite the hassle and time spent we now have a £500+ laptop that didn't cost us anything, but we never did get any explanation of why it happened!

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - gordonbennet

SWMBO is the worlds biggest Amazon fan, always looks there to see if Amazon are anywhere near the price and if so buy from them in preference.

Its all down to customer service, they always come up trumps, plus we subscribe to Prime and almost everything we want is there next day.

Oh bad luck to the town centres by the way...maybe if you provided decent parking and, perish the thought, free public conveniences again (not relying on McDonalds to provide toilets for everyone), some of us might return.

We've never had much luck with laptops, so instead we buy refurbed Dell office desktops via Amazon third party, long lasting work well and cost a fraction of new.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - focussed

We've never had much luck with laptops, so instead we buy refurbed Dell office desktops via Amazon third party, long lasting work well and cost a fraction of new.

Not our recent experience - but good luck to you!

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Smileyman

Must say I've bought a couple of PC's from Ebuyer, better prices but mail order only outfit....

not had any trouble with either, I think your problem is a manufacturer problem, but of course it's for the retailer to make good.

" UPDATE"

Finally having written to the MD I now have a satisfactory response.

They have admitted I had made numerous calls to the tech line and customer services and as the comp HD has now completely failed its not of mechantable quality.

I am now returning the unit for a refund.

just a shame I had to write to the MD to get a satisfactory resolve.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Wackyracer

It's 6 months since your first post on this. I'd not be happy if it took 6 weeks to resolve.

Bad news - Buying a computer from John Lewis - Stillnotsure
Shame to read about all these problems with Dell laptops.

I'm still using the old Dell D620 that was given to me in 2009 when my job disappeared and I retired. It was around 2 years old then, and I had it 'secondhand'. I successfully migrated it from Win XP to Win 7, and more recently to Win 10. It happily runs this on 2 gb ram. The keyboard and screen are still better than my daughters much newer Inspiron and the battery and HD are the originals.

I suppose having tempted fate by writing this it will now die, but even if it does it owes me nothing!