I am diabetic - can I get my driving licence back?

If I'm a type 2 diabetic, can I get my licence back and do I have to fill in a D4 form?

Asked on 29 May 2022 by Kevin bennett

Answered by Sarah Tooze
The best person to advise about driving with a medical condition is your local GP. If they believe you are fit to drive then you could apply for a new licence.

If you are applying for a driving licence for a lorry, minibus or bus (D2 form), there is a separate D4 medical examination form, which has to be completed by a doctor.

However, if you are just applying for a standard car licence then it is the D1 form and you complete a section on that form about your medical condition. The DVLA may then send you a medical questionnaire to complete and contact your doctor.

More information is available here: www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions

Please note that you can renew your medical driving licence online if you have diabetes, but it sounds like you have surrendered your licence so I believe you will need to do a paper application.