Motorists knee - hillman

I've come across several cases of 'motorist knee' in recent months, mainly in passengers. Motorists knee is a very painful condition that is caused by wrongly stepping out of the car using one foot and then standing up, pulling the other leg out of the car. The knee is then put under torsion and it was not designed for that. Several people I know have gone to the doctor and had knee Xrays and been put on painkillers. I told them to turn in the seat and put both feet on the ground before standing up. After a couple of weeks the ailment is cured.

Motorists knee - gordonbennet

The worse i've found are low 3 door coupe style cars, ie Pug 307CC, especially when you can't fully open the door in a normal parking space and you find the tiny opening is actually behind you, definately not an ideal choice for those of us with more joints that ache than don't, you end up sort of sideways limboing out.

Motorists knee - concrete

I suppose this is the reason behind many questions to HJ in the Car section of the Telegraph on a Saturday. Access and egress is quite an important matter as we grow older. How I remember my journey through from the Spitfire, MGB, TR and then a Porsche, but of course I was then a young blade about town. I would dread trying to manouvre in and out of any of those cars now. As for romance....well...

Cheers Concrete