Car parked bumped me - vipertongn

imgur.com/a/uytPL

So basically someone decided to park behind my car soooo close that it touches my bumper.

Like at the moment I'm not looking to take legal action because it's not a new car and no harm was done.

I just want advice as to how I should go about this situation and whether what they did was legal or not. In the future, how can I avoid this and how do I deal with this?

I do know that I want to invest in a dash and back cam so then I can obtain proof if an accident occured while I'm away from my car (or if an accident happened and I can prove who was at fault). More along the lines of cams that have their own batteries.

Any input is appreciated.

Car parked bumped me - skidpan

I would not click on the link, it looks very dodgy to me.

But for the OP

In the future, how can I avoid this

Leave the car at home in the garage.

Car parked bumped me - FP

imgur.com seems to be a legitimate photo-sharing site. Not that I'm going there.

This seems like another of those posts like we had a while back, where the poster was apparently worried about all sorts of trivial things.

Probably a wind-up.

Car parked bumped me - RobJP

It is a legit picture-hosting site.

Howeverr, if true, then the OP is worried about someone damaging what can only be described as an ancient total shed of a car, which probably is worth more as scrap metal than it is on the road.

I'm inclined to not feed the trolls any more than I already have done ..

Car parked bumped me - focussed

The clue is in the picture- it isn't in the UK for sure- looks like the US or Canada judging by the houses and the cars are on the RHS of the road.

Car parked bumped me - Ordovices

Fit a tow bar, it can also act as a reversing sensor.

That's actually a great idea.

Well if I could upload pictures on to the forum then it would be easier. I'm not trying to troll anyone and I am legitly asking what I would do in this situation.

I know the car is dinky. I'm asking this so that in the future when I do get a newer car and something happens, what should I do? Obviously take pictures and then report it to the insurance.

I'm young and the point of me asking is so then I know how to handle this properly in the future because I don't know if there are better ways to go about this situation. This is in the US.

Obviously yea if you wanna protect your car, leave it in the garage. But we use cars to travel and go places and you can't control random stuff from happening, especially if people decide to make bad decisions and do stuff like this. Telling me this is like telling someone the best way to not get into an accident ever is to never use your car and only park in your garage. RIIGHHHT.

imgur is a legit site and you don't have to click on it. I just provided the picture for clarification.

I'll just take my question elsewhere because obviously you guys would rather be rude about it than be helpful.

Car parked bumped me - ExA35Owner

OK - you say you are in the US. This is a UK site and our knowledge of US legal system is likely to be a bit sketchy - indeed as I understand things, the relevant law may well be different in different States.

However the US legal system is historically derived from the UK, so we may be able to give some rough guidance. If damage has been caused, it's a civil matter not a criminal one so you'd need to establish who the driver was - presumably traceable via the car registration. You'd need to find out the cost of repair and then pursue the driver for that money. This isn't necessarily easy.

Or you could pass the problem on to your insurance company, assuming you have the right kind of insurance (in the UK it's called comprehensive insurance).

Or you might just have to accept the bruise on the car, or get it fixed at your own expense.

If you think this is deliberate damage - and reading your post, I don't think you do, then the police will be able to give help in tracing the driver.

Car parked bumped me - Ordovices

Don't take the rudeness personally, you're lucky they didn't call you names! Towbars definitely put people off nudge parking.

Car parked bumped me - galileo

Don't take the rudeness personally, you're lucky they didn't call you names! Towbars definitely put people off nudge parking.

Many years ago, when US cars had proper steel bumpers and overriders, it was not unusual in the USA to shove a parked car forward a bit to make room to park at the curb.

I guess the OP is too young to remember, maybe it was an old person who parked close, forgetting that bumpers are plastic now.

Car parked bumped me - FP

I apologise if we seemed not to take the OP seriously, but I'm still having a hard time seeing what the issue in all of this actually is.

The OP is complaining that someone parked so close to him the two cars are touching. But there's no damage.

He seems to be worried that it might happen again, perhaps with damage this time.

It's pretty obvious you can't run a car and be immune from damage - hence the "leave it in the garage" comment. It's equally obvious that if you fit front and rear dashcams you will have some evidence and chance of redress if there is damage. The OP has already worked that out. But his own insurance would cover it anyway.

He's asking if what has happened to him is legal. Again, pretty obviously, if there's no damage there is no case to answer. If there had been damage, pretty obviously there would be a case.

Or have I missed something?

Car parked bumped me - Andrew-T

I'll just take my question elsewhere because obviously you guys would rather be rude about it than be helpful.

It seems the OP has done as he proposed?