N/a - Warranty would or wouldn't - grays85

I bought a car from a dealer, immediatley found no headlight, after reading the handbook, ..mot warning light (HiDs leveling system) and have since found Engine managment system disconnected.. He says its my fault as i didnt take a warranty.. My point is that it wasnt fit for purpose to start with and a warranty would not have been valid on the car..?

whats your view?

ps he fixed the headlight,at £200 extra cost..goodwill?

but still have no EMS and a MOT fail warning light on?

thanks

N/a - Warranty would or wouldn't - 72 dudes

Sounds like Sale of Goods Act will be your friend here (although you don't say how old/mileage/price paid for the car. Lack of warranty is irrelevant.

SOGA says that car must be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality with respect to age and price paid. Any faults present are deemed to have been there at time of purchase after such a short while.

The dealer has an obligation to fix the faults on the car. It also sounds as though there has been some 'misdirection' or indeed dishonesty if the EMS light and the HiD warning light have been disconnected or bypassed.

A call/visit to CAB might be helpful to clarify your rights.

N/a - Warranty would or wouldn't - RobJP

As 72 dudes has said, rather critical points are missing, which would be needed for anyone to say for certain : what the car is, how old it is, what price you paid, and how long ago you bought it.

If, for example, you've bought a 15 year old Discovery for £2k, and the deal was 8 months ago, your 'reasonable expectations' are a lot less than a 4 year old Golf bought for £10k which you bought last week.

The devil, as always, is in the details.

N/a - Warranty would or wouldn't - slkfanboy

Headlights not working would be covered under the sales of goods act. as it's a clearly unroad worthy car. I would show the dealer good will by not taking him to court, without a reasonable chance of fixing it.