Company Car v Car Allowance - confusedbuyer

Hi all,

I was wondering what is generally considered the best route? Currently I run an Audi A3 1.6 TDI 62 reg. It's got 20k miles on it now but I've just accepted a new job that will move my mileage up from 8k/year to 25k/yr.

The job has an offer of car allowance (£5k/yr) or £400/month to spend on a company car. I imagine the Audi will depreciate quite heavily now my mileage will increase so I'm leaning to the company car - what would most do in this situation?

Thanks in advance

Company Car v Car Allowance - RobJP

Have you bought your Audi outright ? If so, then you've already taken the big hit on the depreciation, selling it will just realise that depreciation.

If you do own it outright, then I'd suggest keeping it, and taking the £5k a year. Take out the 'proper' Audi extended warranty. Plenty of maintenance (oil/filter changes every 10k), and run it as long as you can.

I bought it a year ago but took out a loan. If I sold now I'd have just about enough to pay off the loan, so all would be square. I wouldn't lose or gain anything, so I guess the question is whether company car is a better deal on this kind of mileage or not?

Company Car v Car Allowance - Smileyman

unless you are looking for a good excuse (to justify to yourself and / or family) to change cars why not take the money and keep the Audi - if after 1 year you feel it's time to change the year's extra income might make up for the increased depreciation, and as it's a diesel the fuel cost of running this car should be very reasonable.

I really like the car, but I guess the only thing I kept reading is that repair bills on modern diesels go up as it reaches the 60-80k mileage and this would accelerate that? I was planning to sell the car with 40k-ish mileage in 3 years when I'd have paid off the loan naturally and have a genuine asset. I had the allowance previously so isn't really a gain but repairs and the higher mileage could devalue the car significantly hence my confusion.

According to the contract once I pick the allowance I can't back opt to the company car, but can do the opposite which seems odd?

Company Car v Car Allowance - oldtoffee

25k business miles = £8,250 a year courtesy of HMRC in mileage allowance which covers plenty of repairs and maintenance especially if you own the car and depreciation is not too bad. Add in your monthly allowance and you're in the position to make a healthy monthly "profit" Buy a new car and thast profit goes in pcp payments and depreciation. I'd keep the car and have it serviced rat an independent regularly and even if you get a big bill each year you're quids in any way. Doing that amount of miles in a diesel will suit it so no dpf issues and regular oil changes will keep the turbo clean.

Company Car v Car Allowance - Avant

These debates always centre on the financial aspects, which are of course important: but you're going to do 25,000 miles a year so you need to enjoy those miles.

Have a look and see what you'll get for £400 a month: I'd guess something a little better than a 1.6 TDI, and probably more powerful. Then weigh up any possible extra satisfaction over the valid financial points made above, not forgetting the BIK tax.

Of course £5k a year is also about £400 a month - but wth your own car doing a high mileage, depreciation is going to be a major factor as you know. As Oldtoffee implies above, the choice is probably between keeping the Audi and getting a company car, rather than buying your own new one.

Edited by Avant on 04/02/2015 at 23:28

Hi

I should also clarify that the mileage will be personal (my commute will increase drastically) as a result of redundancy in my previous company at Xmas...

I've spent the night crunching numbers and I think I get to this over two years (it has to be around 2 years as there's a clause in the car allowance that says I can't have a car that is a) more than 5 years old, or b) has more than 70000 miles on the clock):

Car Allowance: Tyres probably £150 every yr, Servicing and repairs at around £600/yr, Insurance at £450/yr which gives me a total running cost of around £1200/yr. BUT I've then got the loan rate at £4200/yr so the actual cost is £5400, which is the same as the pre-tax income from the allowance. But in 2 years time I'll have an asset worth around £7k, (less £3k for the outstanding finance) So my actual running cost is £3400/year, which the CA increases my base salary by £2500 after tax, NI and student loan repayments. So I'm £900 down a year...only I'm not...because I need a car so...

Company Car: I've been told I can get the new XE Prestige 2.0d which has a low rate of tax band, so would cost around £160/month or £1900/yr. If I had the same Audi it would be £111/month, or £1330. The same is true if we used to replace my other halfs Volvo V40 D2 - its £110/month.

So either way, the Company Car is SLIGHTLY more expensive, but is cheaper to have a nicer car, if that makes sense and is obviously hassle free but if I leave the job I have no car? Does that sound right to people in your experience? The benefit of Company Car is to have, effectively, a nicer car for less, but a Car Allowance means you can run a perfectly decent car for less? On this basis I think I'm going to stick with the Allowance, assuming I have the maths right!

Company Car v Car Allowance - artill

The one thing you havent mentioned is the unexpected failure, mechanical or accidental. If your choice comes down to maths, and just what will cost you the least, i would go for the CoCar, but if you want to drive something nice that the CoCar system doesnt encourage (like a larger petrol car) then it might be worth going for the allowance. The chances are, covering big milage that something unexpected will happen over a 3 year period. Can you afford a big bill or a long period with the car off the road? The advantage to the company car is knowing exactly what it is going to cost you

Company Car v Car Allowance - ExA35Owner

The company car has so many advantages that are worth having, even if it works out more expesive - though admittedly you do need to do your sums very carefully including income tax.

If the car needs new tyres, a phone call is all you need to do.

When it comes to servicing, phone up and it's taken care of. There's not that awful moment when the garage calls you and says they've found this component that needs changing, parts cost £x, labour £y. There's no fear of the cost of an unexpected breakdown. And if the car is off the road because of a major failure, it's likely you'll get a courtesy car as part of the deal.

You don't have to do the insurance phone-around each year. You don't have to remember to tax the car.

When the car gets a bit long in the tooth, you don't have to worry about getting the best trade-in, perhaps hawking it round several dealerships. They just take it away and you get a new one.

You might be lucky and get AA or similar cover - the car we have includes European breakdown cover, too.

Company Car v Car Allowance - RT

Many company car leases will only fit new tyres when the old ones get right down to the legal limit of 1.6mm - ignoring industry recommentations to change at 3mm.

Company Car v Car Allowance - focussed

If something untoward happens to the car, as it will, it's a great comfort to know that someone else is picking up all the bills and doing all the administration concerned with owning and running a car.

All you then concentrate on is retaining a clean licence and doing whatever job it is that you are doing.

Company car every time.