Citroen - DS goes upmarket - Ed V

PSA Peugeot Citroen CEO Tavares interview quote re taking the (Citroen) DS line upmarket:

"Infiniti was created in 1989. Twenty years later I was in charge in North America and we outsold Audi in the US. Ten years previously we were selling just 150,000 cars a year. It took us 20 years to get there. So we have to be patient. I don’t challenge my brand CEO on volume. I don’t measure success of our premium brand through volume, I do it through per-unit profit, which means each car I sell is very profitable and makes huge margins. The most viable thing about any premium brand is pricing power. Start pushing on volume and you destroy the pricing power. I’ve been saying this is a 20 to 30 year story. We need to be very persistent, we must keep on track. Like Infiniti in its first 20 years or Audi in its first 15 years - it was a very slow process."

Citroen - DS goes upmarket - drd63

Correct, the image issue had been done to death on previous posts but if you can sell an image at a premium you're onto a winner. DS brand seems a good place to start for Citroen/PSA.

Citroen - DS goes upmarket - Snakey

Image is a funny business. I've always lumped Citroen with Ford/Vauxhall in the line of decent cars for the working/family sort of person - not a car bought for its image but a decent car all the same.

I put VW/Audi in the opposite camp now, cars bought for their image but the image is largely undeserved IMO.

Citroen - DS goes upmarket - drd63

Exactly the reason Citroen are using the DS brand to build premium image.