any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - gordonbennet

Don't know if you've seen this clip, it should be a public information broadcast like we used to have years ago, how often do we see this exact manoeuver.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o&feature=sh...e

The young woman driver survives to tell the tale.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Bolt

Some drivers on the M25 need to see that, some do it a lot

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Alanovich
Belgium. That is all.
any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Cyd

You can see this sort of thing every single day on the Coventry section of the M6. A certain type of driver who thinks their progress is far more important than everyone elses and that queues are optional.

Lucky for the driver both impacts were on the passenger side and from different directions.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - gordonbennet

Lucky for the driver both impacts were on the passenger side and from different directions.

I've seen a pic of the aftermath, the Focus is crushed and twisted beyond recognition, a miracle the girl got out in one piece.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Cyd
, a miracle the girl got out in one piece.

A large slice of luck that the initial impact was an offset frontal to the passenger side and the secondary impact was to the [still largely intact] side structure, again on the passenger side. But not a miracle. There are 10,000's of us working hard every day in Body Engineering departments the world over seeking to make accidents like this survivable. Twenty years ago she'd have died for sure.

Seeing people come out of accidents like this alive makes the drive to work worthwhile. Even if it was caused by their own stupidity.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Avant

Without trying to excuse the driver of the Ford, can anyone work out why the traffic in the right turn lane had stopped?

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - alan1302

Without trying to excuse the driver of the Ford, can anyone work out why the traffic in the right turn lane had stopped?

You can't really tell from the video - most likley a junction off the motorway was busy.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Brit_in_Germany

This type of situation is common where a motorway passes close to large cities, with the commuter traffic resulting in short hops for many drivers. The solution our local autobahn uses is to impose a 50 mph speed restriction for all traffic in the hope of giving people more time to realise their exit is full of stationary traffic even though the rest of the road is clear.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Bromptonaut

As others said congestion and/or inadequate junction further on.

The M6/A14 junction would be prime territory for an identical smash in UK.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Wackyracer

She broke one of the golden rules of driving - she could not stop within the distance she could see to be clear.

I've noticed this type of behavior alot when I'm abroad, People tailgate large vehicles and then they cannot see what is in the other lanes unless they edge out.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Snakey

Wow, she was very lucky to survive that - and you have to feel for the wagon driver who had absolutely no chance of avoiding hitting her car as it rebounded.

Just goes to show how a simple error of judgement can go horribly wrong very quickly.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Wackyracer

Just goes to show how a simple error of judgement can go horribly wrong very quickly.

I don't think it is an error of judgement rather than some peoples arrogance of driving. I've seen people do similar dives across all lanes for the exit so close that they have almost hit the armco barriers that divide the slip road.

any - Don't assume because its a main road its clear - Bromptonaut

I don't think it is an error of judgement rather than some peoples arrogance of driving. I've seen people do similar dives across all lanes for the exit so close that they have almost hit the armco barriers that divide the slip road.

Sometimes it's arrogance other times it's jus poor navigation or lack of concentration. For a while I got in habit of taking M1 J19 in the outside lane, even if it meant speeding, rather than being cut up by last minute divers,

Modern signage that sequences vehicles well in advance of actual divergence (eg M6/M42/M6T junction) helps albiet at cost of being sworn at occasionally for not keeping to left.