Haggling at main dealers - redcard
Looking to buy my first car in the next few months, and have a budget of around £4K.

Is there much scope for haggling at £4K? How low could I offer without being laughed off the forecourt? 10%?
Haggling at main dealers - double_tap_that

Any dealer will offer a discount, remember, they are all on a sales target at the end of each month, so go then, you might get more than 10% if the sales man is behind with target sales!

For a 4k car, i would start at £3000 if you are paying in cash.

And shop around! They are all in competition with each other and it IS a buyers market, they need you more than you need them!

Yeah, I plan to spend the weekend going round a bunch of dealers, so will be in no rush to get the first car that takes my eye - will play them off against each other to get the best deal!

So you think it's perfectly feasible that I could offer £3K initially and end up with a decent discount?
Haggling at main dealers - double_tap_that

I would, Like i mentioned earlier, All sales men are on commission, So if they want to get paid, they need to sell lol, Just realise, they really want you to buy a car so haggle, and even ask for a cheaky engine service just to guarantee a sale.

I may add, that if you are a low mileage user, try looking at the slightly higher mileage cars, they will be cheaper, and sonewhat newer, and if you plan to keep it for a few years, the mileage will adjust to what then would appear as "Normal".

My dad, 6 years ago, bought a Honda Cr-v diesel, it was, at the time only 3 years old, bought it at 5 and half thousand, but done 120k miles!, Now its 9years old, and now done 150k miles, still going strong, and whats it worth? around 3 thousand, not bad really is it.

Haggling at main dealers - Andrew-T
Yeah, I plan to spend the weekend going round a bunch of dealers, so will be in no rush to get the first car that takes my eye - will play them off against each other to get the best deal!
So you think it's perfectly feasible that I could offer £3K initially and end up with a decent discount?

You could save some time and leg/car-work by surfing the websites.

Remember that the price on the screen (usually ending in ..995) allows for a part-ex value for an older car the trader doesn't really want. You don't have one of those, so you can start a lot lower. Trader's margin is usually somewhere around a grand, to allow for profit and any work that needs doing before sale. Try to avoid a finance deal too, unless you really want one.

Don't worry - I'm surfing Autotrader daily! I'll have a decent idea what car I'll like and what the going rate is.

Haggling at main dealers - barney100

You need someone who knows cars to get some idea of the vehicle's condition. Tyres, brakes, exhausts, timing belts, all these sorts of things can cost....'fraid it's wear and tear mate so not covered by warranty'

Narrow your search down to a car or two you really like, gen up on prices and what to look for on the models you decide on.

I do all these sorts of things and swmbo comes along an we end up with something completely different because she liked the colour or the number plate......