HGV v PSV - julie page

My cousin deals in farm machinery but a few weeks ago bought a coach, (he thought ot was cheap and he could make some money on it)!!!

In our family there is about a dozen people with HGVs, yet non with PSVs, so how to get the bus back to the yard?

Ended up lifting it and towing it home, now this was legal yet if the driver drove the bus home he would have been breaking the law?

So why can't HGVs drivers drive buses and bus drivers drive the rigid trucks?

HGV v PSV - NARU

Years ago, my father was interested in buying a bus. As long as he wasn't doing it for hire/reward, the advice at the time was that he didn't need a PSV licence. And as it wasn't an HGV, he didn't need an HGV licence either.

The query eventually ended up with the county's chief constable, who felt that my father should have some form of additional licence, but couldn't identify what it should be either.

In the end it fell through because he couldn't easily get insurance.

HGV v PSV - alastairq

Combining thetwo [very different] licences has been looked at before....even in Parliament.

Whilst the basic drivng skills don't alter, regardless of what type of vehicle is being driven....there are many aspects of PCV which are specific [as in LGV, albeit not so many]

In other words, it isn't the physical size of the bus that matters, but what it carries?

[for an LGV driver, it would bring an entirely new definition to the term ''loose load?''].

I guess I'm lucky..I have both...found the PSV [PCV] more useful over my driving life [at the time, good hourly rate, predictable working day/night,, compared to LGV driving..]

Edited by alastairq on 03/09/2013 at 08:26