Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1998 Clutch or gearbox? - Kyy

I have a Ford Fiesta zetec 1998 and yesturday everytime i went to put it into a gear all I would get is grinding or I would have to ram it into a gear. Came to traffic lights and it would almost stall while I was in gear, in the end i couldn't even get it into gear and had to pull over and get my dad to drive as he could get it into gear. Does anyone have any idea wether the gearbox or the clutch has started to pack up or something inbetween. I would really appreciate a solution to this! Thanks in advance!

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1998 Clutch or gearbox? - BenG

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging when you push the pedal. Maybe the clutch cable is failing (stretching or jamming) or there is a problem with the clutch release mechanism.

Maybe get that looked at before you assume the worst (failed gearbox)?

It will definately be looked at just wanted a rough idea of what people thought. I thought the clutch might be going a while ago, my biting point was really high on the clutch and reverse was a pain to get in so it would make sense to me that something was wrong with the clutch, but didn't know enough about cars to be sure.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1998 Clutch or gearbox? - Galaxy

Have you recently changed your shoes which you use for driving?

If so, this could be having an effect upon how far you need to push the clutch down. If the soles of your shoes are softer, when you depress the clutch the pedal will tend to push upwards into the sole, so you need to move your foot further towards the floor.

Before you rush out and get the clutch replaced I recommend you try what I've suggested and push the clutch pedal further down than you are used to doing.

Nope still drive in the same shoes i always have. If I pushed the pedal down any further it would go threw the floor =D

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1998 Clutch or gearbox? - Galaxy

Right, that's eliminated, then. Almost certainly a clutch problem, if it's a cable operated clutch it's just possible the cable has stretched and now requires adjusting.

If it's hydraulic then it's probably going to require dismantling.

Well that would be alot better than needing a new gearbox thats for sure! much cheaper solution anyway!

OK I can't get hold of my normal mechanic but I've had some development on my car. Got in it today after a day of not touching it and I can now go threw the gears with no problem, It's a little shuddery after I pull off but seems fairly normal now, thoughts?

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1998 Clutch or gearbox? - TeeCee

Starting to sound suspiciously like a hydraulic system with the master cylinder past its best. Leave it for a while and the air in the system bubbles out, giving the clutch back, use it and you pump more in.

Have a look under the bonnet for a clutch resevoir and if it's got one, see if the fluid level's down.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1998 Clutch or gearbox? - skidpan

Since our 1999 Puma had an hydraulic clutch I would suspect that the 1998 Fiesta (which it was based on) would also have an hydraulic clutch.

But, on the Puma the clutch used the same reservoir as the brakes thus if its the same system you will not find a sperate reservoir.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1998 Clutch or gearbox? - alastairq

It's definitely a hydraulic system.

Check the fluid levels in the combined brake/clutch hydraulic reservoir.

Look under the bonnet.

It's the plastic container behind the engine, near the bulkhead, to the passenger side.

Gently wobble it to view the fluid level inside.

This may be low, and need topping up.

The fluid feeding the clutch [master cylinder] has it's own 'compartment'..so that if fluid levels fall [as they can do]...the clutch operation starts to fail first. Brake operation remains good, however.

ON your model year, there is also a pressure valve in the clutch circuit [apparently...mine is a year later and has something else]....which retains hydraulic pressure at the clutch slave cylinder end. This is another [IMHO un-necessary?] item which might be playing up?

Check the fluid levels first, anyway..top up as necessary......see how it goes?

well definately not the fluid level i'm sorry to say that would have made me a very happy bunny. expensive trip to the garage it is!