I was fined $510 for speeding in New Zealand - do I have to pay it?

I was pinged by a police car while overtaking in New Zealand and incurred a $510 and 28 day driving suspension. My licence will be posted to my home address in the UK after 28 days, by which time I'll still be away. Do I have to pay the fine as I will never again be in New Zealand? Is there any collusion between New Zealand and the DVLA?

Asked on 13 February 2018 by Arnold John Mooney

Answered by Honest John
I don't think there's any cross border co-operation over motoring offences between the UK and New Zealand. If you don't get your licence back you can apply for a replacement from the DVLA on the grounds you lost it. But I'd pay the fine. Never a good idea to have something like this hanging over you.
Similar questions
If I get a fixed penalty abroad, i.e. in Spain for 150 Euros for 68kmh in a 60kmh limit, are the points put on my UK licence? I assume I would need to tell my UK insurer.
I've been fined 45 Euros for speeding in France. Do I need to tell my insurer? If so, will my insurance costs rise? Will the fact that I don't have any points, or UK driving convictions, influence the...
I received a speeding fine from Venice police on 1 September 2017 for an offence which occurred on 7 September 2016. Is it reasonable to levy a fine so long after the offence. I was on the road in question...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer