VW Passat 1.9 manual 2005 - 2005 Pasat 1.9 electronic handbrake failure - Bill J H

I have just had a long life service (having done 74,000 miles).

I was advised that both solenoid motors to the handbrake have developed fractures to their casings. This will apparantly allow water to enter the motors and they will then cease to work. VW have quoted £1013.00 to replace them. I have looked at them and both have inch long fine cracks in identical locations on the casings. These fine cracks were found by the mechanics without even having to wipe them clean which leads me to beleive that they already knew they would be there! I was advised to paint them with hammerite to delay the ingress of water. Has anyone had similar problems? I do feel that this must be a design fault for which VW should take some responsibilty!

VW Passat 1.9 manual 2005 - 2005 Pasat 1.9 electronic handbrake failure - dieselnut

As you suspect, this is a well known problem with Passats up to about 2008 when the motors were re-designed slightly. I don't think you will get any help from VW. Ideally they should be removed ( 2 torx bolts ) prise off the plastic covers & give the internal gearbox mechanism a good clean out & re-grease. Put back the cracked plastic case then cover in self amalgamating rubber tape. But just cleaning them & covering with tape will preserve them if they havn't taken in too much road filth.

VW Passat 1.9 manual 2005 - 2005 Pasat 1.9 electronic handbrake failure - Bill J H

Thanks for the advice - it seems that some attention fom me (albeit an amatuer) may save me a lot of grief.

VW Passat 1.9 manual 2005 - 2005 Pasat 1.9 electronic handbrake failure - gordonbennet

I don't think you will get any help from VW.

That needs to be part of their signage, maybe in luminous 4 ft high letters on a massive heli blimp floating about 50ft over the dealership.

They don't cover themselves in glory on these and precious few other *independent* motoring pages, why do people keep buying the marque.

VW Passat 1.9 manual 2005 - 2005 Pasat 1.9 electronic handbrake failure - Robin the Technician

Hi,

A good fix would be this: Buy a bottle of surgical spirit from Boots (should not cost much). Use said surgical spirit to clean cracks & surrounding area. Apply copious quantity of Silicon RTV. Allow to dry. Continue with trouble free happy motoring!!!

Cost: about a tenner

Saving: £1003.

Use saving for a good holidy!!

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Thanks for that - I will certainly seal the cracks and hope for the best.