Renault Clio Sport - How long should a gearbox last - Ben178

I have a 3 year 3 month old clio sport with 38k on the clock. The gearbox struggles to go into 4th gear and the garage inform me that I need a new gearbox as the synchro is broken. I expected the gearbox to last longer than this and have told that to Renault UK. They have told me that as a goodwill gesture they will pay £486 inc VAT to have the gearbox removed and inspected but as it is defective they will be unable to refit it. If as I expect there is a defect with the gearbox then as another goodwill gesture they will pay 50% of the £2806 cost of replacing the gearbox with a reconditioned one. Is there anything else that I can do? I know that i'm out of warranty but surely I can expect a gearbox to last longer than that. The car is driven on the dual carriageway daily by my girlfriend and has a full dealer service history. There are quite a few incidents on the renaultsport website of the same happening. Do I have any standing with the trading standards line "last for the time you would expect and be free from any defects".

Renault Clio Sport - How long should a gearbox last - Cris_on_the_gas

Seems like a good offer from Renault, take them up on it.

Legally you have no rights, best once its fixed sell it a buy a more reliable make

Renault Clio Sport - How long should a gearbox last - Avant

I agree - that seems a fair offer from Renault. Without wishing to defend a manufacturer, one has to bear in mind in fairness that a car - particularly a sporty one like this - may have been driven like a bat out of hell by a previous owner, causding premature wear.

The manufacturer has no way of knowing how a car has been driven - which is of course unfair on those people who have had the car fro new and driven it properly.